2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My version of 3M paint protectant....

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/09, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree if my car was any other color than Black than it'd have the 3M Clear Bra on it.
Old 12/21/09, 12:26 AM
Bullitt Member

HAH!!! To all you ney sayers! I went out and re-taped it this morning and it worked like a charm. It caught 13 bug carcasses, it took some rocks too and none seem to have went through the double layers.

I admit it was not the prettiest thing, actually rather gaudy, but it was a quick deal that took 20 minutes to apply and 5 to remove for something planned at the spur of the moment.
Old 12/21/09, 06:41 AM
GT Member

OK - PLEASE BE CAREFUL

OK - beyond looking funny . .. . .there a couple of things to keep in mind.

1.) If you get a little water under the tape . .. . .. then that got Las Vegas sun bakes it . . .. . . you could have some serious etched paint problems.
2.) The paint is not designed to have that type of adhesive on it . . .. . .. again the hot sun baking that adhesive . . . . . could possibly cause problems with the paint.
3.) All car paint fades with time . . . . .. . after time you might start to see "tan lines" Las Vegas sun would accelerate this problem
4.) Another problem is with the paint peeling when you remove the "baked tape" . .. . . .car paint will peel if you are aggresive pulling the tape off.
All these are long term problems . . .. . .for one road trip . . .. . .. the benefits may outway the negatives . .. . . .I assume you are CAREFULLY changing the tape (then wiping the excessive adhesive off with alcohol) . .. . . . . My suggestion . . .. . .. forget the tape and keep some Ford touch-up paint in the glove box!
Old 12/21/09, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Why not just get a bra that you can put on anytime you want? Also my car has 21000 miles and I never had anything on the front and have to say I have very minimal chipage on the front, I think I have more chips on my rocker panel.
Old 12/21/09, 06:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Guys people do this ALL the time. Especially import guys in CA. Idk what the big deal is, but I've never seen/heard of anyone having problems. That being said, I wouldn't do it on a white car in case the blue got wet. It can bleed through like mentioned above...
Old 12/21/09, 08:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
For long road trips, we have the full front bra. It is a bit of a pain to put on the Mustang, but it does get the job done. For more mid-length stuff, I will just put on the hood leading-edge portion of the bra.

It doesn't peel off no matter what the relative humidity is.
Old 12/21/09, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

I plan on getting something more status quo soon. This was my road trip in this car and this was the quickest and cheapest idea I found for such short notice. When I got back it peeled it all off and wiped the area with alcohol as I had a lot left over from the GT500 spoiler install. Good times.
Old 12/21/09, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lsanch33
OK - beyond looking funny . .. . .there a couple of things to keep in mind.

1.) If you get a little water under the tape . .. . .. then that got Las Vegas sun bakes it . . .. . . you could have some serious etched paint problems.
2.) The paint is not designed to have that type of adhesive on it . . .. . .. again the hot sun baking that adhesive . . . . . could possibly cause problems with the paint.
3.) All car paint fades with time . . . . .. . after time you might start to see "tan lines" Las Vegas sun would accelerate this problem
4.) Another problem is with the paint peeling when you remove the "baked tape" . .. . . .car paint will peel if you are aggresive pulling the tape off.
All these are long term problems . . .. . .for one road trip . . .. . .. the benefits may outway the negatives . .. . . .I assume you are CAREFULLY changing the tape (then wiping the excessive adhesive off with alcohol) . .. . . . . My suggestion . . .. . .. forget the tape and keep some Ford touch-up paint in the glove box!
Number one is possible but I doubt he put the tape on with the surface being wet or even moist. 3M Painters Tape does not stick for anything when the surface is even just moist. Number two, 3M Painters Tape is designed for being applied on painted surfaces such as an automotive finish. It will do zero harm. Number three, this guy isn't talking about using this all of the time. Even if he left it on for a month it would not create any type of fading. As far as I know he was just doing this while he was traveling down the highway so I'm sure he didn't have it on the car for that long. Number four there is no way in the world that the paint is going to be removed when you pull the 3M Painters Tape off of the car. I bet you could put Duct Tape on the car and it still wouldn't pull the paint off after being baked in the sun for a month. I'm not sure where you're getting this stuff but it's completely wrong.
Old 12/21/09, 04:49 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Guys people do this ALL the time. Especially import guys in CA.
not suprising, but never seen one in Ohio yet... seriously, suprised someone hasnt come up with a spray-on/easy peel off clear just for this...we get white coating for the spraybooth at work, every couple years, just grab a edge and peel it right off- like a thin rubberized paint that dont stick all that well.
Old 12/21/09, 04:56 PM
legacy Tms Member

did a quick search- yep the booth coating is available in clear/water based even...might be something to try, no idea on cost

http://www.chemcomfg.com/product/rem...ve-gallon.html
Old 12/21/09, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NastyStang113
Number one is possible but I doubt he put the tape on with the surface being wet or even moist. 3M Painters Tape does not stick for anything when the surface is even just moist. Number two, 3M Painters Tape is designed for being applied on painted surfaces such as an automotive finish. It will do zero harm. Number three, this guy isn't talking about using this all of the time. Even if he left it on for a month it would not create any type of fading. As far as I know he was just doing this while he was traveling down the highway so I'm sure he didn't have it on the car for that long. Number four there is no way in the world that the paint is going to be removed when you pull the 3M Painters Tape off of the car. I bet you could put Duct Tape on the car and it still wouldn't pull the paint off after being baked in the sun for a month. I'm not sure where you're getting this stuff but it's completely wrong.
Very true. I know a lot of detailers use it for masking off areas when buffing.

It was just a temporary thing that I felt was the safest.

It came off super easy with very little left over. What was left over came off with alcohol.

Btw. I saw a picture on google of an audi s4 completely wrapped as a joke. Lol.
Old 12/21/09, 05:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
did a quick search- yep the booth coating is available in clear/water based even...might be something to try, no idea on cost

http://www.chemcomfg.com/product/rem...ve-gallon.html
That looks amazing. I didn't know stuff like that existed.
Old 12/21/09, 06:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by NastyStang113
1st of all I can safely say I know more about the original S197 Mustang OEM paint job than ANYONE on this planet. If you are really interested search my resume on Linkedin.com . . . . . . Secondly, next time you get a paint chip, try putting that DUCT TAPE over the chip area . . . .. and pull it off hard . . . .. . please tell me what happens??
Old 12/21/09, 06:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
1st of all I can safely say I know more about the original S197 Mustang OEM paint job than ANYONE on this planet. If you are really interested search my resume on Linkedin.com . . . . . . Secondly, next time you get a paint chip, try putting that DUCT TAPE over the chip area . . . .. and pull it off hard . . . .. . please tell me what happens??
Why make us search?? If you have some interesting info about the paint, why not just come out and tell us?
Old 12/21/09, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Let's not get into a dick measuring contest. Please it's just childish and immature. By what you've said previously I don't think anyone needs to search for your resume. Thanks though..

Last edited by NastyStang113; 12/21/09 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12/21/09, 09:22 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by GONE_N_60
That looks amazing. I didn't know stuff like that existed.
read on the water based a little bit- it comes off with water, wouldnt be good...probably other brands out there though. the booths are galvanized sheetmetal, dunno if the peel away coatings would work over paint- theres wax to remove/possible no adhesion- or worse it dont peel off

next time I'm back over by the paint booth, if theres any left in the can maybe I'll dip something painted in it and see how it sticks just for curiousity- hey in your case white would work out pretty well huh
Old 12/21/09, 09:40 PM
legacy Tms Member

question for you on the aluminum hood edge issues...I put a glass hood on my 06, but the OEM hood is really really blistered horribly...the whole front/underside is blistered/soft, the front lip has about a inch wide blister working its way up onto the very top surface...I was going to have ford fix it, but the day I was at the dealer their camera was 'down'(guess they take digital pics-> direct to ford for approval) was to take it back the following week, as luck would have it, did a little off-roading(tcs-rain-right foot failure) and scratched the hood right over the edge of the worst part of the blister...figured well forget fixing it now, surely would not have been 'warranty' after damaged paint...
anyway, the old hoods just stuck up in the rafters- what would be the best way to stop the aluminum corrosion- I imagine its still crumbling away just sitting there...on steel its usually phosphoric acid to etch/stop corriosion, no idea on aluminum what might be best.
also, on our other two, thinking about sealing the edges with a clear sealer of some type- dont want silicone as acetic acid might react(?) badly, thinking something like just clear touchup paint a few layers thick to seal up the edges completely...and lastly, if ANY blistering starts on the underside, is there anything that could be used to spot seal and stop it there...you know, grind the blister to bare metal/treat/touchup...
any suggestions greatly appreciated- aluminum is a little different than steel it appears- and suprisingly corrodes even faster sometimes!
Tim

Last edited by ford4v429; 12/21/09 at 09:41 PM.