2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My test drive experience

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/06, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My test drive experience

Well, I finally went to the dealer to go sit in and test drive one of the new Mustangs. I wanted to see if I could still drive a manual transmission before figuring out what to order. Also wanted to find out about when the 2007 model year brochures would be in as well as what color “Dove” is. The following is my story…

I arrived at the dealership and was immediately greeted by a salesman who sat me in a blue GT with the satin dash appliqué. The tossed me the keys and say to start it up. Man, I was impressed with the sound of the stock exhaust on these. A lot better sounding than what I have heard from the videos I have seen posted. We then went and sat in a tungsten GT w/ black interior and charcoal dash appliqué. The charcoal dash kind of looks like faux carbon fiber.

I took the opportunity to ask about selling the GTs on the x-plan and was informed that not only would they not sell me one on the x-plan but there is a $6,000 dealer markup over MSRP. I found this kind of shocking since the salesman had just mentioned the dealership had just sold their last 2005 Mustang GT a couple of days before. After getting passed to two other employees, I was told that they would sell me a GT on the x-plan if I ordered it instead of buying from stock on hand. I wanted to order a 2007 anyways so not a big deal. The down side was that they said it would take 6 to 7 months which means my order would get a low order priority number.

At the end of this discussion, we asked if we could go on a test drive and were flatly refused. The reason being that people don’t want to buy a car off the lot with a bunch of test drive miles on the car. They would only let me test drive if I was basically ready to buy. I was a bit disappointed but I can understand since that is how I think too (less miles the better).

We went inside the dealership and talked for a bit while they tried to figure out what the premiere interior option was all about and what color Dove was. So we left the showroom and walked around outside a bit to look at the different colors and the satin silver vs. charcoal dashes one last time. Just as we were about to leave, the salesman came out and said the sales manager said to let us take the car for a test drive while they try to figure out what the premiere trim option was all about.

So, we grabbed the light blue GT with the manual trans and silver dash and took it for a spin. I went very easy on the drive and didn’t really get any feel for the power at all. Though I will attest that 3.55 gears definitely spin the motor up a ton faster than the 2.79 gears in my 69!! I decided I didn’t like the satin silver dash due to glare from the sun reflecting off of it, could get annoying! The transmission was easy enough to drive but I seemed to have a hard time shifting into 3rd gear for some reason?!?

We brought the car back to the dealership and had some more discussion regarding the purchase of a 2007 and then we left. The whole thing ended up being that they will call Ford Corporate next week and ask what color Dove is and let me know. I don’t plan on ordering through this dealership unless I can get the car on the x-plan and with a high order priority number.
Old 6/17/06, 10:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Try a different dealer if you can't get a better priority number. My dealer had my car in about 6 weeks. And they're right about x-plan. You can only use it on orders. As far as 3rd gear goes...yeah I can't figure it out either. Mine doesn't like shifting into 3rd as well. Maybe that Steeda shift kit would help...
Old 6/17/06, 11:02 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestion:- Dont go to a dealership that doesnt know their own product. The last thing you would want is to be stuck in a deal that you cant get out of. I mean $6000 over MSRP?!?!?!
Thats just ridiculous! Be patient. When you're spending that much money you want to make sure each and every aspect of the purchase is justified and goes according to something that you can be happy with in the end.
Old 6/17/06, 11:07 PM
Closet American

There's simply NO justification for dealer markups on GTs anymore. In my neck of the woods tons of the cars are just sitting on lots waiting for buyers.
Old 6/17/06, 11:11 PM
Cobra Member

6 weeks sounds more like it, that's what mine is running as well. Are you sure they said 6 months? 6k over sticker, that sounds like a Shelby markup!
Old 6/17/06, 11:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
6 weeks sounds more like it, that's what mine is running as well. Are you sure they said 6 months? 6k over sticker, that sounds like a Shelby markup!
I should have snapped a pic with my phone but after the Salesman mentioned the dealer markup my wife walked around to look at the window sticker and sure enough it was there as "Market Adjustment" I think they called it.

I am sure on the 6 months too, they said it about 3 times. Even my wife turned to me and asked how long I expected to wait and I said, "Not all the way to christmas." I was thinking a 3 month wait would be about the max I would accept. I am going to check out another localish dealer where GRAYPNY bought his from and see what they have to say.

They did mention that they will be getting 3 GT500s this year and they have about 26 people on the waiting list. I didn't proceed to ask how they planned to rape their customers on price, I just made a joke that I guessed they wouldn't be selling them on the x-plan.
Old 6/18/06, 12:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero
Try a different dealer if you can't get a better priority number. My dealer had my car in about 6 weeks. And they're right about x-plan. You can only use it on orders. As far as 3rd gear goes...yeah I can't figure it out either. Mine doesn't like shifting into 3rd as well. Maybe that Steeda shift kit would help...
Cavero, that isn't exactly true on X-Plan. I have been selling for 9 years, and we have several GT Verts on the lot. Now granted, they are automatics (in the Eastern PA, NJ, Delaware, Maryland region, the allocation for 5-speeds is still rather crappy, only 25% of alloted GT's can be a stick. If your allowed 4 GT's hypothetically speaking, only 1 can be a stick. This % is still crappy for our region, compared to others in the country). If someone comes on the lot, and for example says that they are a Merck employee, and wants one of our GT Verts, we'll give him the X-Plan, as long as he gets me a PIN #. Heck, we will even locate a car from another lot, as long as the dealer that has what the customer wants will let us buy it from them. There is no need to order at all, unless he wants a 2007 Model, which we are in the process of getting. I understand why the dealer above wants the order though, to not lose on the stupid mark-up of their GT's . That dealership needs to get their head examined for still charging a premium after 2 whole model years. My advice, by the way you were treated, you should go to another place. X-Plan is X-Plan, the price doesn't change from place to place. Its the same price no matter where you go. Glad to hear you liked the car, and good luck with getting one.
Old 6/18/06, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I wouldn't buy anything from that dealer! 6000 over MSRP would have been way high even when some dealers were charging market adjustment. Most around here will discount the GT. I ordered mine on xplan, but could have gotten one off the lot from several dealers using the plan.
As far as waiting 6 months? It's obvious they don't want you as a customer. It took just under 6 weeks to get mine, and I bought from a small town dealer. Sounds like that salesman suffers from some kind of brain damage.
Old 6/18/06, 07:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

6k is too small for a shelby markup by at least 10k haha. seriously find a new dealer. my car took 2 months from order to delivery in 05 and that was during the IUP shortage, among many other hangups including the insane amount of orders that were in the banks. Now my dealer has 7 GTs on the lot and they arent moving moslty cause they are autos. He accepted X-Plan on mine and i took my friend to him also who ordered this past Dec 28th and got the car in the first week of march. also on x-plan.
Old 6/18/06, 08:25 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Look elsewhere..

My car came in 4 weeks from ordering..and that's in canada..during Feb 05 when people were still getting HUGE wait times. It's not as bad now 2 years later...

Getting the car pulled is the hardest part (based on what your options were and the dealerships allotment for that option IE: Transmission type)
Once its pulled and on schedule..you're good to go

Best of luck in finding a dealership that you can trust
Hopefully you'll find one soon
Old 6/18/06, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Double post...sorry...see below
Old 6/18/06, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shatter
Well, I finally went to the dealer to go sit in and test drive one of the new Mustangs...... I took the opportunity to ask about selling the GTs on the x-plan and was informed that not only would they not sell me one on the x-plan but there is a $6,000 dealer markup over MSRP. I found this kind of shocking since the salesman had just mentioned the dealership had just sold their last 2005 Mustang GT a couple of days before. After getting passed to two other employees, I was told that they would sell me a GT on the x-plan if I ordered it instead of buying from stock on hand. I wanted to order a 2007 anyways so not a big deal. The down side was that they said it would take 6 to 7 months which means my order would get a low order priority number.
As I posted in another thread - "I decided to make a visit to my dealers lot just to look around. They had 26 '06 Mustangs with 17 of them GTs. There were 12 manual transmision vehicles (9 GT/3 v6). All were between $2000 and $3300 BELOW MSRP. Of these cars, I could only find 4 that I'm sure were on the lot two weeks ago so they move them pretty quickly." -

If I were you, I would definitely visit another dearler. You should not have to pay MSRP, much less $6000 over it.

Chip in SC
Old 6/18/06, 12:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Now granted, they are automatics (in the Eastern PA, NJ, Delaware, Maryland region, the allocation for 5-speeds is still rather crappy, only 25% of alloted GT's can be a stick. If your allowed 4 GT's hypothetically speaking, only 1 can be a stick.
That SUCKS!! I don't understand why they would do that, the stick gets better mileage and producing more of them versus auto should raise the fleet standards (to help meet CAFE). Plus it seems a large percentage of buyers want sticks. So do you guys get stuck with a bunch of autos on your lots because of this?
Old 6/18/06, 03:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
That SUCKS!! I don't understand why they would do that, the stick gets better mileage and producing more of them versus auto should raise the fleet standards (to help meet CAFE). Plus it seems a large percentage of buyers want sticks. So do you guys get stuck with a bunch of autos on your lots because of this?
To answer your quesiton, yes, we get stuck with alot of autos. We have a tendency to order the verts with the autos, as in my region, Auto GT verts seem more prevelant on the streets, while the coupes are manuals. The real reason I do believe, is that Ford just can't get enough manual trans from the suppliers, that may be the problem.
Old 6/18/06, 03:30 PM
GTR Member

My satin dash doesn't bother me like some people for some reason.And I live where the sun is a major factor. For some reason the dark IUP doesn't appeal to me. JMO
Old 6/19/06, 09:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

As far as the X-PLAN goes, that is incorrect. If you have your x-plan PIN, you can put it into the myfordplan.com site (I think thats it), and you can browse fordvehicles.com and see every lot of the dealers around you with the X-Plan price attached to it. I did this when I bought my Mustang, and it just so happened that THE worst dealership in South Florida had THE one mustang I wanted.
As soon as I walked in, I basically said "hi im looking to purchase a new 06 Mustang GT using X-Plan, and I know which one I want, do you think you can assist me?" and that cut all the BS out, because they can't haggle you with an X-Plan, they can just refuse to sell it... which is the option of the dealership I believe.
As others mentioned, I'd find another dealership.
Old 6/19/06, 01:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Reminisce
As far as the X-PLAN goes, that is incorrect. If you have your x-plan PIN, you can put it into the myfordplan.com site (I think thats it), and you can browse fordvehicles.com and see every lot of the dealers around you with the X-Plan price attached to it.
That website doesn't seem to work...do you know the correct one? Thanks.
Old 6/19/06, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ipchay61
As I posted in another thread - "I decided to make a visit to my dealers lot just to look around. They had 26 '06 Mustangs with 17 of them GTs. There were 12 manual transmision vehicles (9 GT/3 v6). All were between $2000 and $3300 BELOW MSRP. Of these cars, I could only find 4 that I'm sure were on the lot two weeks ago so they move them pretty quickly." -

If I were you, I would definitely visit another dearler. You should not have to pay MSRP, much less $6000 over it.

Chip in SC
What Dealership Chip? I am looking to buy a 06 GT Black 5spd are my only requirements and I can't find one in WV if they have GTs $3k below MSRP let me know where it would be worth a trip to SC for me.
Old 6/19/06, 06:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

I believe the website is Fordpartners.com or Fordpartner.com. Thisi is the site where you can generate the PIN # and look around.

And Kenny, to shed some light on the $3k under MSRP on a GT. If its a GT Coupe, there is only about a $2,000 or so markup from invoice to MSRP. About $2,700 markup from invoice to MSRP on a GT Vert. I just checked out GT Vert Premium Auto I got, and MSRP is just over $35,000, and invoice is just over $32,400.
Old 6/19/06, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mweeps
What Dealership Chip? I am looking to buy a 06 GT Black 5spd are my only requirements and I can't find one in WV if they have GTs $3k below MSRP let me know where it would be worth a trip to SC for me.
mweeps,
I'll pm the info to you. If I remember correctly, they had two black 5spd manuals, both with red interior.

Chip