2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My Paint Is Starting To Look/Feel Strange...

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/05, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure it's not overspray on the car? If you've had it in the body shop twice, it's very likely that there's fine overspray dust on the paint. I know it sounds funny that it's not in the areas that were painted, but there is spray dust in the air all around a body shop and it probably settled on some areas of the paint. You probably don't feel it on the hood because they wet-sanded and buffed it after the repaint was done.

I would take it back to the dealer, ask them what they think, and ask if it could be overspray. Even if they say no, your warranty should cover any wet sanding and buffing that would be needed to bring it back to smooth. This assumes of course that it's a low mileage car and that the areas under the doors aren't normal chips from road debris and stones kicking up from the tires.
Old 3/31/05, 05:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Charlie......it could be overspray from when you were in the shop. Have you parked at an airport, or do you live near an airport where you'd be subjected to jet fuel blow-out when planes taking off? I had this happen to my ex's car when she went on periodic business trips. The planes taking off caused this rough texture all over the paint........ :angry: Clay Bar is the fix though, as mentioned
Old 3/31/05, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

dave_bought_another_black_stang's Avatar

This is exactly why dave didn't buy another black stang!
Old 3/31/05, 05:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'd have to say it sounds like overspray to me. A few years ago my company bought a new airplane
and they wanted the stripes changed from maroon to blue and also wanted to change the registration number. When I went to pick it up I noticed some parts of the plane were glass smooth, and others had a "sandpapery" feel to them. No matter how much I waxed it, those areas remained. I finally figured it was overspray because it was in the same areas we had the paint work done. I'd try some polishing compound on an area and see if that helps to remove it, and if so I'd look into having it professionally polished out. That's what I did for our plane and it worked great.
Old 3/31/05, 05:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I swear by Meguirs Three Step.

Nuff said.
Old 3/31/05, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

the NXT mixed 50-50 with duragloss clear coat formula works great

i suggest washing it with a good mitt, and something in the bottom of the bucket to keep you from putting the mit back in the dirt your washed off of the car, use dawn dishwashing detergent only if your going to do a complete detailing, it removes all of the old wax, and keeps you from having wax buildup

if its not the big detailing wax your doing, use a quality carwash soap

wash it only when cool, and in the shade

its amazing how hot the black paint will get
Old 3/31/05, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@March 31, 2005, 5:50 PM

Nuff said.

Who's that 12 year old taking pics of your car?
Old 3/31/05, 07:26 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update for ya bro -

I am taking my car to a car meet tomorrow ngiht right after work, and a Mustang Show Saturday. SHot home after work, hit the brushless car wash place, then back to my apt for a quick zaino job.

Now I am a pessimist alot of time and I was spoiled by the feel of BRAND NEW paint when I got my black GT. The past couple of times washing it, it ws bumming me out to feel the rough spots on the lowest edges of the car, especially behind the tires. Figured, well, I will learn to live with it. Car can't stay perfect for ever.

Two weeks ago I introduced my buddy to the Zaino kit - while he was doing his Mazda 3, I used the clay bar after I washed my car and worked the heck out of those lowers edges.....

And tonight putting on Zainos?......

Practically all of that stuff is GONE.
You may have to use plenty of elbow grease but not to worry - you'll be happy.
Old 3/31/05, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yep, Meguiar's three-step. That's what I use. A helluva lot cheaper than Zainos. Anyway, I'll get the the clay bar and give it a good going over before taking any other action.
Old 3/31/05, 10:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by azlitigator+March 31, 2005, 5:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azlitigator @ March 31, 2005, 5:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SurfnSoCal@March 31, 2005, 5:50 PM

Nuff said.

Who's that 12 year old taking pics of your car?
[/b][/quote]

ouch.

ok ok...I look young for my age...and the shaved head didn't help. Hey, when I am 30...I'll look 20.
Old 3/31/05, 10:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

You and me both kid.