2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My Mustang = Smashed up this morning

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/07, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Mustang = Smashed up this morning

So I was getting ready to make a left turn onto the highway, had the right away because my lane had a turn signal. Well long story short, some guy decided to run the light as I was making my turn, and we collided. Front of the car ripped to shreds, the front bumper ripped off. The good news is the officer declared it no responsibility, and wrote a report for both of us to take to our insurance agencies. He told me he didnt believe the guy (guy said he had a green), but since there were no witnesses and the stories were so different, he didnt cite either of us.

Anyway, I called Progressive Drive insurance and placed my claim. Halfway through the claim, the girl had to stop recording, after I spelled his name... Knut Olssen, she also went "whoa" when i read her his DOB, because hes 82 years old!!! Well, the car goes into the shop on Friday, and thankfully I wasnt too far from my parents' house, and met my father there and dropped it off. I still had my old 1999 Cougar there and I drove that home.

The timing sucks because I was just getting ready to order my CDC Classic Spoiler and decide which hood I wanted to buy or get a shaker, and then get some stripes. Well the hood was mashed in as well, so this brought up the question... I've seen a couple people here, when in accidents, had the repairing shop do their custom work as well in the process. Do you think it would be wise of me to get my stripes painted on while they do this, and/or anything else? Or should I leave it be and do it afterwards? I'll head to my parents house tomorrow and take pics and post them.
Old 5/19/07, 03:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear that your Pony was hurt - good thing you were not. That's the important thing.

In answer to your question: When my Pony was crashed in January I had the body shop do some body mods at my expense, namely painting of my GT500 spoiler, GT/CS scoops, and installation of the GT500 spoiler and my CDC chin spoiler.

It was cheaper to have the painting done because the car was being painted anyway and it didn't take that much more time to prep the parts for paint.

Not to sound callous about your accident but now might be a good time to consider the GT/CS front end with requisite chin spoiler/splitter, as well as maybe an aftermarket hood? You will pay the difference in price for the parts over stock, but painting should be nominal since the parts are supposed to be painted anyway.

Good luck with fixing your Pony!
Old 5/19/07, 03:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Last year I was rear-ended and had very minimal damage done to my bumper. The guy that hit was cool about it and said he would take car of the damages out of his pocket. When I was getting the bumper replaced I also had the autobody guy fix a few scratches and paint some scoops I just bought. I paid for the extra stuff myself, but it was discounted because they already had the paint from the bumper and only took a few minutes Im guessing to give the scoops a few coats since I took the time and prepped them myself.
Old 5/19/07, 03:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get what you want out of this, talk to your bodyshop as we all have done. I got my hood, spoiler, and CS rear bumper cover all thank to someone else.
Old 5/19/07, 03:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Can you say "SHELBY CONVERSION"? Best time is NOW to make any additions or upgrades. All the paint work will be matched and blended.
Old 5/19/07, 03:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am waiting for a 68 style hood, also adding some stripes to the front bumper. A good time to up grade. They have to buy and paint a hood and front bumper so get what you want. Sometimes the aftermarket stuff is cheaper that the OEM stuff also so you can swap it out at little or no extra cost to you. Also look at the shelby front end.
Old 5/19/07, 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by delz05
Can you say "SHELBY CONVERSION"? Best time is NOW to make any additions or upgrades. All the paint work will be matched and blended.
I was JUSt thinking of this, or the CS hood/bumper. Oh man, I wonder if I can ask them to do that and I pay the difference. Thing is I have to take the car to Progressive on Friday, and then they are taking it to the shop after the adjuster estimates the dmg. Hmmm...
Old 5/19/07, 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Curious...why is the insurance Company bringing your car to a shop? Don't you get to pick the shop to do your repairs in Fla?

If possible...I would have the car brought to the shop that is capable and whose work is of the highest quality. Have the insurance company come out to them. That way the person doing the work can have control and input on the estimate.
Old 5/19/07, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by delz05
Curious...why is the insurance Company bringing your car to a shop? Don't you get to pick the shop to do your repairs in Fla?

If possible...I would have the car brought to the shop that is capable and whose work is of the highest quality. Have the insurance company come out to them. That way the person doing the work can have control and input on the estimate.
Well, im ASSUMING thats whats going to happen. I have to take it to progressive this Friday, for the adjuster to look at it, and I'm not sure if I pick the shop that does it while I'm there. I'll call tomorrow and find out. The girl I dealt with was extremely nice so I'm sure she'll give me the facts. All I know is it has to be a shop qualified by Progressive and their Consierge(sp) service (basically, the parts and the repair are covered by Progressive for a lifetime).
Old 5/19/07, 08:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Sorry to hear. I would try to get it all done at one time for the best possible price. That is if they are capable of doing to th work you want.
Old 5/19/07, 09:15 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one suggested this yet but here I go. If your car is stock and you don't plan to race it the body work should be sufficient. But if you are a racer you take the channce of the car never being the same again after an accident. Maybe now would be a good time to trade or sell the car for a newer model before you invest in the mods. Good luck
Old 5/20/07, 06:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

sorry to hear, glad you're ok.

now, post pics!
Old 5/20/07, 09:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

IMO this would be the time to do the mods if your going to do them - the one caution would be the shop who does the work. You might want to check with any Mustang clubs or clubs in general regarding feedback on shops. Would think/hope you have at least some freedom to choose who is going to do the work
Old 5/20/07, 02:22 PM

Old 5/21/07, 01:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Too bad you have to take a hit against your insurance when it wasn't your fault.