2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My Commercial is finally airing

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/05, 01:34 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the wait was long but it is finally on tv, unfortunately I was lied to and it wont be showing nationally, I dont know if this was a flat out lie or just some last minute changes (couldve been why it took so long), but it is only airing in the OC on Time Warner Cable, so if any of you live there and have that and have tevo or something, could you please make me a copy, the one I have is low res. Thanks.
Well here it is....

http://surfnsocal.com/vid/Rrobello's%2...ercial_full.wmv

thats my car in the begining and the end driven by the blonde girl walking in the store about halfway through, right after that shot of her and the littel girl talking to the owner you can see me looking at wheels right before it cuts to the spinning wheel and logo, I have on the backwards black hat.

you can also go here to see more clips I took from that day.....
http://surfnsocal.com/vid/Rrobello's%2...s%20Commercial/

I also have pics up here.....
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rrobello2003...m/ph//my_photos

the stickers on the windows are DPRs, they do awesome work and have great prices both on parts and labor, they have a lot of experience working on cars, specifically the Mustang and do incredible work. Sean did the install of my Steeda Triax for the article in 5.0 Mustang Magazine. If you need anything for your car give them a try.....

DPR (Domestic Performance and Restoration)
http://www.dprsocal.com
5839 Mission Gorge Rd, #C
San Diego, CA 92120
619-282-4377

Tell them you heard about them from Richard Robello and my commercial for Directwheels.
Old 9/5/05, 01:38 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's pretty cool. Too bad they only showed your car for a split second.
Old 9/5/05, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by adrenalin@September 5, 2005, 1:41 PM
That's pretty cool. Too bad they only showed your car for a split second.
yeah I am kind of disapointed by that, would think with how much time they spent taking those shots they wouldve used more especially to show off the wheels, oh well they were very wierd people (the owner of directwheels). I actually had to suggest the whole idea of the before and after shots of my car with their wheels on there, probably shouldn't have since the wheels were so ugly. and I dont know why they used that last shot, she almost stalled it in that take and made the car jump, they shouldve used the last take where she peeled out. oh well.
Old 9/5/05, 02:16 PM

oh and it will be airing on discovery, spike tv, mtv and espn classic
Old 9/5/05, 03:21 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Very nice Hey, it may not be long, but at least you can say your car is "technically" famous
Old 9/5/05, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Dan@September 5, 2005, 3:24 PM
Very nice Hey, it may not be long, but at least you can say your car is "technically" famous
was in tech article too in 5.0 Mustang Magazine June 05 issue pages 114-120, Steeda Triax install done by JBA

other fun tidbits about my cars history...
used by K&N for R&D of Short Ram air intake
used by JBA for R&D of Cat4Ward Headers
Old 9/5/05, 05:45 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's really cool!
Old 9/5/05, 05:47 PM

OK, your car is great, but the blond driving is awsome , also the girl behind the counter in the picts is nice also. sorry if this is someones wife or girlfriend but it just had to be pointed out.
Old 9/5/05, 06:14 PM

My friend owned the BFGoodrich Trans Am that was in so many ads. He was the only person I ever met that used a Q Tip to clean his tires.
Old 9/5/05, 06:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
It is not at all unusual to shoot as much as 40 minutes or more of footage for a 30 second spot.

Just check who is doing the production. If it is a local television station or cable outlet, your spot will not be seen nationally. You might not have been actually lied to, Richard. I work at a local WB afiiliate, and our clients sometimes think their spots are going to be on the network nationwide. We have to explain to them there's a difference between buying local advertising and national advertising.

Oh yeah, once they hear the price difference, they lose interest in the national appearance anyway.
Old 9/6/05, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by bbell52+September 5, 2005, 5:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bbell52 @ September 5, 2005, 5:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>OK, your car is great, but the blond driving is awsome , also the girl behind the counter in the picts is nice also. sorry if this is someones wife or girlfriend but it just had to be pointed out.
[/b]

the blonde driving my car is the owners girlfriend, he is the guy that greats them in the commercial, the other girl I think might have dated the owner prior to the blonde girl and actually worked at the shop, you shouldve seen what she was wearing when I showed up, some little cut off tight boy shorts and a sheer button up that was tied off showing a lot of cleavage, but IMO neither girl was anything to be drooling over,

<!--QuoteBegin-Paris MkVI
@September 5, 2005, 6:59 PM
It is not at all unusual to shoot as much as 40 minutes or more of footage for a 30 second spot.

Just check who is doing the production. If it is a local television station or cable outlet, your spot will not be seen nationally. You might not have been actually lied to, Richard. I work at a local WB afiiliate, and our clients sometimes think their spots are going to be on the network nationwide. We have to explain to them there's a difference between buying local advertising and national advertising.

Oh yeah, once they hear the price difference, they lose interest in the national appearance anyway.
[/quote]

I know that it takes a lot of footage to come up with just seconds, I use to film and edit skate videos, but they spent maybe half an hour on the non car shots and all day on the takes of my car and the original storyboard was that the chick pulls up to the shop in my car w/ stock rims, walks in and is greeted by owner as if she is buying, then drives off in my car with the new wheels and the work/product would be highlighted as center focus of commercial, with some other close up product shots and store shots as filler, which I think (my car aside) wouldve made for a more interesting commercial, I showed this to some friends tonight and they all said they were bored and didnt really pay attention, that only a couple of spots caught their eye. And then in this version you cant even tell there is a difference in the wheels on my car no less even see them or tell that the girl is driving, it makes no sense, the music is lame and corny and nothing grabs your attention, the voice over seems very week and dull.

And I specifically asked both the owner and the producer (who was on hand almost the entire time) about its air times and channels and local vs. national broadcast (because I am in SD and this was in the OC) and both said that it would be nationally and had an extra channel that apparently was also dropped. I made sure to ask the producer bacause I figured that the owner wouldnt really know and he showed me the paperwork and contracts and play schedule. I am not sure what happened with this, but I think it was probably mostly on the owners part, the film crew seemed pretty knowledgable and reputable, but the owner seemed shady. He probably cheaped out last minute, this was also scheduled to air the following week, because they supposedly already had it contracted out and ready to go as soon as they finished editing, which shouldnt have taken too long for what they had, I could've done a better job at home in a day. That and he was also hounding the crew about showing more product and wanted lame static closeups that they were telling him would be too boring and lose attention, this was at the end of the day and I didnt stick around to hear the arguement out, but I guess he won and thats why there are those lame scrolling sections of products and fades and sweeps, they had to liven up the extra static shots they took. Heck I had to suggest the idea of showing a before and after of their work and product to the guy, he was like "yeah thats a good idea, I didnt think of that" he just wanted a bunch of still shots and have the cars parked in the show room and out front to look cool in the background. I was also promised a copy by the producer but today was told by the owner of the company that they wouldnt even give him one. I am over it, and dont really care any more, it was an experience and is in the past. I dont benefit or lose from the success of the commercial.

A side note, I have to rewatch but I dont remember seeing the 250,000 XMP Stang anywhere in the commercial, funny, that had to be a production decision about two mustangs being too many.
Old 9/6/05, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's too bad your car had to be shown among all that other rice. :notnice:

It doesn't belong, man.. it doesn't belong.

Old 9/6/05, 08:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Yup, sounds like a typical local cable production, especially the part with the owner "helping" them with suggestions.

I always make them approve and sign off on a script before the camera comes out of the bag.

Someone might have been playing a word game, as in the spot would be airing on cable nets that air nationwide, but he would still be only buying local time. National costs would probably be so far out of the park for him it would be beyond the realm of reason.
Old 9/6/05, 11:04 AM
Cobra R Member

That's cool, bro! Did you get paid at all?

My car was recently in a B horror movie shot by a producer friend of mine. They're working on the final editing but I'll post a clip if I can. It's a short scene with me working under the hood.
Old 9/6/05, 12:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool that your whip is in the commercial. I'm not feeling either of the girls in the pic. The girl driving your car looks pregnant is some pics. lol
Old 9/6/05, 01:15 PM
V6 Member

Hey, I live about a mile away from that place! It used to be Tilo's. Amazing!