2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My '05 Has a BooBoo

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/04, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was on my way to work this morning and was stopped at a stop sign behind 2 other vehicles, when an idiot in a GMC Sierra pick up rear ended me at about 20 mph! I had just put my new plates on the car last night and had loaded up 2 70# sand bags in the trunk. The guy hit me so hard that the sand bags became dislodged from where they were at by the back seat in the trunk, and my coffee mug that was in the cup holder in the console went airborn and landed on the passenger floor board up by the firewall and all the coffee dumped out.

I'm a little sore, but other than that I'm ok. The car sustained just over $700 damage to it in the bumper. To look at it, you can't see it right away, but after we filed the police report, I took it to the Ford dealership's body shop and they wiped off the bumper (raining this morning), you could see where the guy hit. They are going to replace the entire bumper since it is a brand new car. They crawled underneath and said everything else looked ok. I guess it is a testimonial to how well the car is built.

To top it off, I found out this afternoon when I called the Sheriff's department that no tickets were issued because the Deputy didn't think there was any damage done to either vehicle or any injuries occurred. I spoke with the Shift Sargeant and he is going to talk to the Deputy. There were parts of the other driver's rubber bumper strip on the ground at the accident scene! So what does he mean there wasn't any damage or injuries?! Anyway, we'll get the car fixed and I'm ok and that is what matters.

As for the sand bags, ('cause I know you'll ask), we have a F150 to drive in the winter but our son's F150 is getting the tranny rebuilt (it's being picked up today), so he is driving our F150. We got 6"-8" of snow last Wednesday, it snowed again yesterday, and they are calling for snow today/tonight. So, I have sand bags in the trunk to help weigh the car down. It handles real well. I should know -- ever since I took delivery, it has rained approximately 3 times a week on average, and now we are getting snow! I have washed the car so much that I need to add more coats of wax -- I have 3 coats of wax plus a couple of coats of deailers wax on the car.
Old 11/30/04, 02:58 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a real shame,

be happy that you are ok, that is what is important
Old 11/30/04, 03:14 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Cops usually don't file reports because they don't like doing paperwork
Old 11/30/04, 03:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What an A-HOLE! man, I'd be so pizzed if that happened to me.... you know, fenders can be replaced, as can the hood and bumper covers and deck lid, but if you mess up that unibody by some sonofabatch rearending you, the car will never be the same... never align properly, never track straight, etc. I sure hope that the bumper was able to absorb all of the impact. I know the bumper shocks in my '98 were only rated for 5 MPH impacts.... that cop needs a kick in the nuts. My wife's been through police academy and she tells me all of the time that cops get lazy on something like that because they just don't want to hastle with the paperwork. It doesn't matter if there was danger or not. Things like that can't always be determined at the scene and if there's no police report or citations, some insurance companies won't cover the damage.... or they may charge you for it. That lazy SOB... I'd be on his seargent like stink on a diaper.
and another kick to the nuts of the idiot that hit you... if it's snowing, or the roads are wet or slick, you have to have enough COMMON sense to figure out how to drive in it. I'm not saying go slow and be a bigger problem than the weather, 'cause I hate that too... I'm just sayin' use your brains people.

I'm so sorry that you are the victim of someone else's stupidity.
at least you're ok.

good luck with that one. hope you get everything squared away.
Old 11/30/04, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

awesome to hear about the handling in the snow, sorry to hear about the car though. At least the dealership is going to fix her up right again. I'd find that jacka** *edited due to non editing by the language filter* and beat him into a pulp. I'd want that cop's badge to. If there was obvious parts of the Sierra's bumper strip laying there on the ground there is definitly damage. Reminds me of some of my younger years when I was driving my parent's Taurus and hit a snowbank. Well I didn't think much of it cause everything looked alright in the sunlight. Come to find out at night time that everything in the front end and shifted out of alignment and would cost about 2k to fix it all. Lessons learned are a good thing sometimes.
Old 11/30/04, 03:27 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I hate that happened to you. Thank goodness you were'nt hurt. Did the airbag not go off?
What did the idiot have to say, he was probably looking at the new Mustang? Your car is brand new you deserve to have it fixed right at his insurance companies expense! Good Luck to you.
Old 11/30/04, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@November 30, 2004, 4:17 PM
I had a stereo stolen out of my car in florida while it was at the shop getting the radiator replaced. They left it outside and someone broke the window and stole the stereo. When the cop called to let me know what happened he told me they probably werent going to find the guy who did it and then got all pissed and hung up on me when i said i wanted the police report filed...
Old 11/30/04, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

I smell lawsuit for messing up the greatest car out there. But i bet you he was staring at the mustang so hard that he didnt see you were stopping
Old 11/30/04, 03:47 PM
GT Member

I hate people like that....ITS YOUR JOB, if your dont like paperwork, QUIT! And as self fulfilling as it may be to beat this A-hole to a pulp, hold back, because you'll end up with aggrivated assault charges...and they really aren't kidding around with those anymore- they tried to give my 12 YR OLD brother one for getting in a little scuffle during school! The system likes to screw the physically strong and those that follow the rules in as many ways as possible...Sad part is, they'll always get away with screwing those who follow the rules- because they do just that ...Enough of the ranting....That really stinks about your Stang, and the only condolance I can offer is at least your still in one piece.
Old 11/30/04, 04:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@November 30, 2004, 2:17 PM
Thats a fact..... Seems like the only paperwork they love, are the one's to get the quota of speeding tickets for the month/week/year. Not to offend the good cops, because there are a few of those around too..... :worship:
Old 11/30/04, 05:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

darn if that was me I probably would have been locked up for killing the guy in the truck. Shoot first, ask questions later.
Old 11/30/04, 05:28 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Originally posted by bpmurr@November 30, 2004, 7:08 PM
darn if that was me I probably would have been locked up for killing the guy in the truck. Shoot first, ask questions later.
I like guns too
Old 11/30/04, 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by tekman13+November 30, 2004, 4:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tekman13 @ November 30, 2004, 4:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dustindu4@November 30, 2004, 4:17 PM
I had a stereo stolen out of my car in florida while it was at the shop getting the radiator replaced. They left it outside and someone broke the window and stole the stereo. When the cop called to let me know what happened he told me they probably werent going to find the guy who did it and then got all pissed and hung up on me when i said i wanted the police report filed... [/b][/quote]
Dude that stinks. When a guy hit me & totalled my 02 we were going to have it towed to my house. But instead the HP said that the insurance would probably deal with us better if we had it towed to the convience store off the interstate (only 2 miles from my house) & have it locked up for the night in their fence. He then told us that if anything WAS stolen off it while it was locked up then insurance would HAVE to replace it. Luckly nothing was stolen. But it wouldn't have mattered anyway because we knew it was totalled & so we stripped of everything we put in the car before it was locked up.

Although if anything else would have been stolen off it I can gurantee there WOULD have been a police report filed. Because I would have been at the police station standing over their shoulders while they filled it out, making sure that ever i was dotted & every t crossed. And then I would have had them make me a copy of it. So when it was "accidently lost" I would have them a copy ready in 5 minutes.

Anywhoo. Mtang78 Good luck with you car. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 11/30/04, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Forget the guns I would have tore him up with my bare hands. There would not have been anything left but his teeth to I.D. him with.
Old 12/1/04, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I got a call this morning from the Sgt at the Sheriff's Dept. He spoke to the officer. Officer told him that no one said anything about parts lying on the ground (we should not have to). So the report stands as is. I went and picked up a copy on my lunch hour of the actual police report filed. Doofus put down that I was pulling up to the stop sign and was bumped by the other driver and that he didn't see any damage to either of the vehicles.

LIE!! I TOLD him that there were 2 other vehicles in front of me at the stop sign and we were all waiting on cross traffic. I saw the guy coming up behind me when he was still 1/2 block away. He didn't bump me -- a hit that dislodges 2-70 pound bags of sand and makes a full coffee cup go airborn that was in a center console mug holder is MORE than a bump!! Am I pissed!? You bet I am. There was fog/haze out at the time of the accident and the officer didn't spend anytime at all hardly looking at my vehicle and he didn't bother to look at the other driver's truck. I just think he didn't want to be out there in the cold, damp weather. And obviously the other driver didn't offer that his bumper was damaged because he definitely would have received a ticket then. So as long as the other driver's insurance pays to replace the bumper I won't have a problem, but if they want a fight, they are going to get one. I was smart enough to write down the plate off of the van that was immediately in front of me when I got hit.

I don't know how accident reports are completed in other states but in Illinois, you only get a form partially completed by the officer and you complete the rest of it and have to send it in to the state. AND, the officer does not have to file a report if he doesn't feel that the damages total more than $500 or if there are not injuries. I have a real problem with that. 1) Since when did officers become paramedics? I was in a total state of shock (e.g. I saw the coffee mug on the floor, but it wasn't registering to pick it up) 2) When did officers become insurance adjusters or body collision / repair experts? They don't ever think the damages are over $500, even when they are a couple thousand. Oftentimes the damages are underneath and are not easily viewable from someone standing outside of the car. I plan on writing the Secretary of State and complaining about this. Wish me luck.

As for the airbag, no it did not go off. But, the good news is I'm ok. I estimate he was going 15-20 mph when he hit me. I know it was not 5-10.

Believe me I wanted to beat him to a pulp. Instead he got a tongue lashing.
Old 12/1/04, 12:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think I have ever heard of a ticket being issued for a traffic accident.
Old 12/1/04, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

If I was on the Jury, I could not move to convict. Instead, I would have to fine you 75 dollars for discharging a firearm within the city limits and send you to a gun safty course.

Old 12/1/04, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

In all seriousness, make sure you are truly uninjured, because whiplash injuries to the neck can take a while to show up.
Old 12/1/04, 02:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well at least you aren't hurt too badly. Poor pony! :cry:
Old 12/1/04, 03:54 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Did the coffee stain anything? I know it can be a pain to remove sometimes. Hopefully it came up ok. Good Luck I hope this works out in your favor.