2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just met the 05 GT, sat in it etc - my impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/04, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I begin let me say that I took plenty of photos, but won't have them before Monday as I don't have the data cable here to hook the digicam up to my computer.

Today the folks from ford-mustang-2005.de (they stink a bit, more on that later) arranged a presentation here in Munich, Germany, where a fully-loaded, unbelievably beatiful Windveil Blue 2005 Mustang GT was on display.
Some members of the "Mustang-Stammtisch Munich" showed their "old" Mustangs, one of them was a silver Shelby GT500 with stripes I took pictures of all these Stangs, too, so I won't go into detail here.

So as I said the 05 was Windveil Blue, had the Dark Charcoal interior and was fully loaded, i.e. it had also the concept-style rims, Shaker1000, side airbags etc.
Let me say this car is fabulous. I am really very impressed.

Exterior
Exterior fit and finish is awesome, the paint was flawless, no orange peel at all. One must simply love the stance, the agressive grille, the hood. Very classy. I liked the rims a lot, too. Everything was the right size and felt rock solid, even the mirrors weren't too large or anything.

Interior
Interior-wise, the first thing I noticed was that the E-Brake handle looks way less ugly in person; after having seen it, I don't really mind its looks. The shifter is nice and has a short throw, but I felt that the gears were a bit hard to find, especially from 2nd up to 3rd. The steering wheel is smooth, everything was in perfect reach. I really liked the center console with the storage compartment a lot; it looks great.
The plastics used for the door panels and especially the area below the aluminum panel don't look too bad, but they aren't of the best quality.
Fit and finish, especially gaps, on the interior were good, but nowhere near perfect; for example the gap between the center console and the dash was a lot smaller than the gaps between the aluminum panel and the area below.
I loved the seats, the leather felt great; the interior design is fantastic in general. It just looks great, feels great, also in the rear.
The trunk is very spacious, albeit the car had the Shaker1000 subs inside. The trunk mafia handle was very funny, but nobody except me noticed it, I guess :P

For tall people
Rest assured, this car is also for tall people. I'm 6'4" w/ 34" inseam, the driver's seat wasn't all the way back (ignition was off so I couldn't move the seat), and I fit well, although I'd have liked to move the seat a bit further back because the pedals were too close for my taste. When I first got into the car, I thought my head would hit the ceiling, but that wasn't the case. Visibility was good, but I'd have liked to be sitting a bit lower to see less of the sun visor and more of the windshield Not problematic, though.
I also climbed into the rear, a friend of mine who's about my size sat in the front (we were on the passenger side) and he moved the seat so that he'd fit comfortably but as close to the dash as possible. I didn't have "enough" leg room, but I believe it would be alright for shorter trips. I did, though, hit my head on the rear window, so I was forward leaning a bit (which did not bother me). Also have photos of that.

Sound
They started her up several times and revved around a bit. The sound is f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c. While the engine sound is not too spectacular, the exhaust note is simply amazing; I loved it. I recorded the "heaviest" revving session with the mobile phone, but it was too close to the exhaust pipes so the sound is way overmodulated, so no sound clip, I'm afraid.

Miscellaneous
They had a fake license plated mounted in the front which had about the dimensions of a standard German one, looked okay (about twice the width and half the height of an American plate). The front indicators will be modified so that they don't include parking lamps anymore, which will instead be fitted into the headlight area. Tail turn signals will get yellow bulbs. The gas cap did not lock. I didn't get to hear the Shaker1000; they had it running when we arrived, but I didn't walk over to the '05 until after a couple of minutes. A friend who was with me said it was extremely impressive, though.

The guys who ran the presentation were relatively well-informed and didn't talk too much ; but what really made me angry was the fact that they invited people via E-Mail, Website, whatever, and promised a raffle where one could win a fully-loaded 2005 Mustang GT. Well, after having arrived, one could ****** a card where you'd have to fill random numbers from 0-9 into seven fields; numbers could also occur several times. Only the correct combination wins. This is plain dupery, because the feasability of guessing the combination is 1:10,00,000 (10^7 possibilities), and they would not raffle the Mustang if nobody hit the right number. So it was only a nice P.R. thingie to attract people; the "risk" of someone winning the Mustang was very low. So the entire event was quite crowded with people who were only there to enter the sweepstakes, making it difficult to take clear photos etc. I think I got some good ones, though

Photos will follow Monday.

P.S. I'd appreciate any feedback on stylistic mistakes or grammatical errors in this text, so if you have some spare time, help me improve my english and point them out to me, no matter how minor they are, it's always welcome
Old 11/27/04, 10:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm 6'4" w/ 24" inseam
Wow! Those are some seriously SHORT legs, dude! All trunk and no roots, eh?

Just funnin' with ya! Good review - looking forward to the pics!
Old 11/27/04, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

whoa, that was a typo fixed it, thanks
Old 11/27/04, 07:50 PM
FR500 Member

Very good review. Very well written! Thanks,
Old 11/27/04, 09:59 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Excellent writeup David!! Glad you got to see it in person. Absolutely stunning in the flesh.

I can feel your excitement through the post. Brings back memories of when I saw the same car (windveil as well) for the first time at the Toronto Autoshow a year back.
Old 12/1/04, 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here you go

Click on any of the photos to see a 1600x1200 hi-res version.

I used a higher compression level so that the pics wouldn't be too large in size; if anyone wants better-quality versions of a photo, let me know via PM, I'll send you the original one(s) then (~400kB per photo)

The guy in the back seat is me (:P), the 1967 Shelby GT500 was drop dead gorgeous. I sometimes snapped two photos, one with flash enabled, one without, to show the different shades of Windveil. The E-Brake handle looks ugly on the photos, but that's because of the flash which shows every fingerprint etc. The only 'bad' thing is that the center console plastic is of a slightly different color than the rest of the interior (dark green tint).

Enjoy

Old 12/1/04, 08:07 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that's almost too many pics......

Thanks though
Old 12/1/04, 08:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

You can never get enough pics. At least Europe likes one thing that is all American. lol
Old 12/1/04, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Wombert, don't Germans smile in pictures?

By the way, your grammar is excellent.
Old 12/1/04, 09:09 AM
V6 Member

This is the first photo I've seen of the underside of the spoiler. Interesting... Saw a Mustang GT at the Birmingham (AL) auto show, but didn't think to look at the spoiler from this angle.

That's a weird pattern on the IUP panel. But I'm guessing that is some kind of photographic artifact, not an actual pattern on the panel. It shows up in a few other photos, but is most noticeable here:

Great writeup, great photos!

Here are two minor grammar/spelling corrections, since you asked:

1. "fake license plated" should be "fake license plate."

2. "so I was forward leaning a bit" would sound better as "so I was leaning forward a bit"

The first error looks like a typo. Until I saw "forward leaning" I wouldn't have known you weren't a native English speaker. Your grammar and spelling is far better than most Americans who post on forums I visit!
Old 12/1/04, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks chocophile The license plate was indeed a typo. You're right, that pattern on the aluminum panel is just an artifact, I guess the camera's flash caused it.

goalie, I was a bit tired b/c I had to get up sooooo early that Saturday to be at the event on time, and it was quite cramped in the back seat, I just wanted to get out of there (and ****** the keys and drive away with the car )
Old 12/1/04, 09:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Wombert, very nice writeup and some outstanding pictures! Loved all of them, especially the ones of the silver GT-500 Shelby.

Thanks for sharing them!
Old 12/1/04, 09:50 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by chocophile@December 1, 2004, 10:12 AM
Your grammar and spelling is far better than most Americans who post on forums I visit!
Now to correct myself. That last sentence should be "Your grammar and spelling *ARE* far better than most Americans who post on forums I visit!"

I guess this just confirms what I said about your writing skills compared to most others!
Old 12/1/04, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Wombert - your rear seat pic with the unhappy facial expression suggests several possible captions:

"What do you mean I can't drive one??"
"I am definitely a driver's seat kind of guy!"
"No way, no how I'm going to ride back here for long!"
"Hurry up and take the %$*(# picture so I can get out!!"

It reminds me of that famous Winston Churchill picture as he glowers with burning rage. I have heard that it was snapped seconds after the photographer yanked the ever-present cigar from his mouth!

Thanks for all the great pics and your write-up of the event. That Windveil Blue and charcoal interior are certainly my favorite combo!!!!
Old 12/1/04, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

heh I believe any of the captions would fit, but I have to admit that I don't smile very often, altough I'm playing the clown most of the time :P
Old 12/1/04, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

What didn't you take a picture of?

Nice write up and nice pics.
Old 12/1/04, 10:49 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Excellent review!! You should write for a magazine & your pics are beautiful!! 5 stars for you! *****
Old 12/1/04, 10:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Wombert@November 27, 2004, 11:12 AM
Interior
I loved the seats, the leather felt great; the interior design is fantastic in general. It just looks great, feels great, also in the rear.
Great write up but maybe a bit too much info. I'll never be able to look at the back seats the same again!

WTG with the pics as well. Next time try not to smile so much!
Old 12/1/04, 12:28 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent write up Wombert and the picture's are just great It's the first time that I have seen the mustang logo pressed into the hood insulation,I don't think anyone has got a picture of that yet .And the Shelby ....just awsome.
Good job on the report!!
Old 12/1/04, 02:19 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

David, awesome pics. Nice angles!

Quick Reply: Just met the 05 GT, sat in it etc - my impressions