2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

MWAG Shock Tower Covers keep coming loose.....anyone else?

Old 5/11/08, 05:17 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
MWAG Shock Tower Covers keep coming loose.....anyone else?

Bought shock tower covers from Mid West Auto Gear and they keep coming loose. I constantly have to snap them back in place. Anyone else have an issue with them?
Old 5/11/08, 05:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup plus they rub on my hood. I finally just gave up and only put them on for shows now.
Old 5/11/08, 08:14 PM
GT Member

hmmm... I've had mine on for about 1 year with no problems whatsoever. Maybe there was some slight variation in tolerances during the manufacturing process??
Attached Thumbnails MWAG Shock Tower Covers keep coming loose.....anyone else?-engine-bay-120807.jpg  
Old 5/11/08, 08:18 PM
Cobra Member

300GT- sweet lookin engine bay! Very clean! What was the process for painting the stock airbox?
Old 5/12/08, 04:19 AM
GT Member

1. remove/disassemble
2. thorough scrubbing with Dawn
3. wet sand with 600 grit sandpaper
4. clean with Prep-all (or equivalent pre-painting cleaner)
5. 2 coats flexible surface primer
6. 2 coats Vista Blue
7. 2 coats clear coat

just about everything you need is available at paintscratch.com

did my radiator cover/extensions and fuse box lid at the same time. One year later and still holding up perfectly.
Old 5/12/08, 08:08 AM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Yup plus they rub on my hood. I finally just gave up and only put them on for shows now.
Well, I sent MWAG an email this morning about it. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 5/12/08, 08:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck on the e-mail to MWAG! I found out a while ago that they're not very good about returning e-mails. You might be better served calling them on the phone.

BTW I had the same problem you initially described with a set I had purchased for my old 05. Although it was only the passenger side cover but I was constantly finding it come loose.
Old 5/12/08, 11:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
Well, I sent MWAG an email this morning about it. I'll let you know what they say.
Hey Jill, its Jeff. How's the car doing? If you call, ask for Helmut. He's the owner of the company, and a great guy. Very stand-up. He'll help you out.
Old 5/12/08, 06:04 PM
GT Member

300GT -- that is one nice engine bay. Looks great!
Old 5/12/08, 06:15 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, my passenger's side cover always manages to pop loose. My covers are ostensibly designed to accommodate a Strange Development STB, and the driver's side fits great, but the other side, not so much. I just haven't gotten around to pulling out the Dremel tool to widen the arc on the cover, which I think will solve my particular issue.
Old 5/13/08, 08:02 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Jill, its Jeff. How's the car doing? If you call, ask for Helmut. He's the owner of the company, and a great guy. Very stand-up. He'll help you out.
Hi Jeff, car is still great! I get compliments on it all the time, which I'll never get tired of.

I didn't get any response by email, so I decided to give them a call. I did speak to Helmut. He suggested to look underneath the covers to check for any marks (mine don't seem to be rubbing on the top, just underneath). There was one mark under each of them and he suggested that I either file down the bolts that are hitting them, or as catman said, use a dremel tool on the cover. Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet. I'll have to think about how important they are to me or if I should just return them and put my money toward another mod..........since there always seems to be something else I want!
Old 5/14/08, 01:11 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm, if it was me I would see about getting a replacement set. You shouldn't have to file down the stock bolts. You would think they would have made the cover properly, but who knows.
Old 5/14/08, 06:46 PM
GT Member

I got the first set of Candy Red they made.Been on for months no problems.Fact is they fit so tight I hope I don't mess them up taking them off when suspension mods come.
Old 5/14/08, 10:18 PM
V6 Member

Mine did the same thing, I have been in contact with them (by email with no problem) and have sent mine back for replacement. I have not got the new ones yet, I just sent them back last week. There were two spots on the top of each cap where the hood liner is rubbing and every time I opened the hood the caps would be popped up.

Terry
Old 5/15/08, 08:10 AM

Have the same problem with mine,also only the passenger side.I used a little high temp silicone on it and it seems to have taken care of the problem.
Old 5/16/08, 09:47 AM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Originally Posted by Water_Junky
Mine did the same thing, I have been in contact with them (by email with no problem) and have sent mine back for replacement. I have not got the new ones yet, I just sent them back last week. There were two spots on the top of each cap where the hood liner is rubbing and every time I opened the hood the caps would be popped up.

Terry
Terry, I'd appreciate it if you let me know how the replacement set fits. I'm leaning toward returning them as opposed to doing whatever I can to make them fit (cuz I shouldn't have to). If your second set has a good fit, then I may see if I can get replacements too.
Old 7/21/08, 10:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
Terry, I'd appreciate it if you let me know how the replacement set fits. I'm leaning toward returning them as opposed to doing whatever I can to make them fit (cuz I shouldn't have to). If your second set has a good fit, then I may see if I can get replacements too.
Sorry it has taken a while to get back to this, it's water skiing season and things have been busy. So I got my new shock tower covers and popped them on, drove the car for a couple of days, popped the hood and the covers were off again!!!! I started looking at the covers to see what was going on and I figured it out. In the center of the cover is a hole where the top stud of the shock goes in, I greased the shock stud to keep it from rusting and noticed that the grease on top of the shock nut was gone. The hole that the top of the shock goes in has a ridge around it about 3/4" high that is hitting the top of the shock nut. When you hit bumps the top shock plate pushes up and pops the cover off. I removed about 1/8" off of this ridge so it does not hit the nut and they have not popped off yet.

I hope this makes sense!!

Terry
Old 7/22/08, 10:56 AM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Thanks Terry, I'm glad you have yours fixed. For right now, I just leave them off and put them on if I go to a show or cruise in. They really do look great on the car. Here's a couple of pics of the underside and painted side. I love the paint job on them.
Attached Thumbnails MWAG Shock Tower Covers keep coming loose.....anyone else?-drivercover.jpg   MWAG Shock Tower Covers keep coming loose.....anyone else?-passengercover.jpg   MWAG Shock Tower Covers keep coming loose.....anyone else?-shocktowercoverstop.jpg  
Old 7/22/08, 09:47 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Guys, I just wanted to share with you, as to why some of your e-mail replies were taking so long to be answered. I contacted Dan from Midwest Auto Gear today, whom informed me the reason for the slow responses was due because. Your e-mail's were being submitted through the sales dept. before being sent over to their tech support dept.

At any rate: Dan informed me that in order to avoid any further delays, to just submit your e-mail requests directly to him, and he assured me that he'll take care any problems concerning the fitment issues with the shock tower covers.

In the meantime, Dan can be reached at. dand@midwestautogear.com

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/22/08 at 09:50 PM.