2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mustang Marketing Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/05, 08:45 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My local dealer has sold 11 GT's and only 2 V6's. According to the sales manager, in this area since the 1994 model the GT has been a bigger seller than the V6 model.
Old 2/18/05, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 169stang@February 17, 2005, 8:08 PM
I think part of the reason the GT's are in more demand is due to the fact that they have tapped into a different customer based. I think they have attracted a customer base that would typically spend more money for a sports car so they don't hesitate to spend the money on a GT. AND....this is due to Ford putting together a beautiful car. IMO!
I agree and believe you hit the nail right on the head.

Actually I would consider myself to be in this category. I consider the GT at that price (I paid MSRP for one fully loaded) to be a no brainer.
Old 2/18/05, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I think another issue is that this car tends to detract a lot of female buyers. Its pretty much just from personal experience, but most women that I have talked to liked the sportier versions of the SN95s over the 2005 Mustang. The 2005 is not a sporty car, its pure muscle and most women would rather have a sportscar over a muscle car. History shows us that.

I think the 05 has its good points, but I would think Ford has some huge tasks ahead of them. The past shows that most retro models quickly lose popularity among the general buying public. Also, where is Ford going to go next? Are we just going to rehash the past 40 years?
Old 2/18/05, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have to agree with Ford's line "The 2005 Mustang is more than just a retro, it's a new chaptrer". It is the best Mustang ever and that is saying alot.
Old 2/18/05, 01:36 PM
FR500 Member

these cars r gone as soon as they hit the lot. at the dealer last night im suprised they had a GT(that someone didnt take cuz it wasnt the order they wanted) and 2 v6's
Old 2/18/05, 01:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rm2000@February 18, 2005, 1:33 PM
I think another issue is that this car tends to detract a lot of female buyers. Its pretty much just from personal experience, but most women that I have talked to liked the sportier versions of the SN95s over the 2005 Mustang. The 2005 is not a sporty car, its pure muscle and most women would rather have a sportscar over a muscle car. History shows us that.

I think the 05 has its good points, but I would think Ford has some huge tasks ahead of them. The past shows that most retro models quickly lose popularity among the general buying public. Also, where is Ford going to go next? Are we just going to rehash the past 40 years?
I think this is one retro to possibly buck that trend. And a lot should already be in the works, as SE's also.

I do know my wife did not want a V-6, it never ever was considered. Why would lead foot want a V-6 ?

After taking a second look at the notchback photoshop picture. I like it and think that done well it could add to total sales in the future. Of course with all engine and options to chose from.

As far as next 40 years but we can spend 24 more on this platform! Right?
Old 2/18/05, 07:25 PM

Let me chime back in by stating just what I think adding a third body style for the Mustang would accomplish. (No, most of you would not decide to buy it instead of a GT, that’s not the point. The point is to sell extra Mustangs – sales that are currently lost to a broad spectrum of cars from Honda Civics to BMW 325s.)

The two most basic factors are that rear seat headroom is better in notchbacks and the car’s personality is less aggressive. That allows the cars to be perceived as more practical and less threatening. With a softening of the suspension, not to mush levels but rather to Accord levels, and some sound deadening, it would be possible to build near luxury Mustangs that I think could be sold in significant numbers.

History has shown us the following when the Grande and Ghia models were marketed upscale 1970 through 1981.

1970 – Mach 1 (40,970), Grande (13,581)
1973 – Mach 1 (35,440), Grande (25,274)
1976 – Mach 1 (9,232), Ghia (37,515)
1979 – No separate performance model, Ghia (92,735)

Before anyone starts, I’m not suggesting the return of half vinyl roofs and opera windows. That’s luxury, 1970s style. But they could do a Five Hundred style woodgrain dash, cushier seats, audiophile audio systems including satellite radio and navigation systems, exclusive luxury car paint colors and extra sound deadener. They could also offer a 4.6L V8 tuned for smooth, quiet operation and better gas mileage and rated at perhaps 230 hp. These cars would represent the BMW 325 end of the spectrum and high per unit profits for Ford.

At the other end of the spectrum are people who buy cars for their high school age daughters, and the Honda Civic is currently the owner of this segment. A really cute Mustang notchback could change all that. Look again at the numbers of notchback sales from early in the Mustang’s history:

Coupe 249,447
Fastback 42,581
Convertible 25,376

Coupe 76,754
Fastback 46,260
Convertible 11,853

Do I think Ford could sell from 2 to 6 times as many notchbacks as fastbacks? No. But even if they just sold 50% as many, wouldn’t 80,000 additional sales be attractive to Ford? And what would it cost us fastback people? Well, there shouldn’t be a V6 Deluxe model – it should start with the Premium. The notchback should be the exclusive home to the bargain basement. It would take away some sales so our cars would be rarer and more distinctive. They would still develop fastback-based Cobras, Mach 1s, and Bosses. I just don’t see the downside.

The downside for not doing it is the danger that the public will perceive the 2005 Mustang the same way they perceived the 1993+ Camaro and Firebird, as fire-breathing muscle cars headed for extinction.
Old 2/18/05, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by rm2000@February 18, 2005, 12:33 PM

My wife and I were looking for new cars at about the same time (we bought about 6 weeks apart.) She drove and really liked a 2004 V6 Mustang, but since she knew that the 2005 was going to be a radical re-do she made herself wait and drive a 2005. When she did she didn't like it nearly as much and bought a Honda V6 Accord, instead.
Old 2/18/05, 10:05 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by red454@February 17, 2005, 9:58 PM
I have to wonder if the 05 GT will be looked upon as a collector car in the future...
Depends, I have a theory on collector cars and it goes like this.

for a car to become collectible, it has to have a large following of people who couldn't afford to get one when they were new, but they desired one none the less, at some point in the future when these people become more affluent and are looking for the fountain of youth they desire pristine examples of that car they desired as youths and are willing to shell out big bucks for restored, or low mileage original cars.

I told my die hard chevy buddy that fox-body mustangs would be come collectible, in typical know it all chevy USA #1 arrogance, he told me that in no way could a POS that they produced millions of would be collectible. Interstingly untouched examples of the fox cars (especially the trunks) are fetching pretty good prices sometimes at or above the sticker price.

If enough people lust after the 05+ mustangs they will become collectible, no matter if they produce 1 or 1,000,000. Right now I dunno? If in 2 or 3 years somebody walks up to you while your pumping gas on several occasions and remarks to you about how bad they want a car like yours then its a safe bet that it will become a collectible car down the road.
Old 2/19/05, 03:05 AM
Cobra R Member

"Before anyone starts, I’m not suggesting the return of half vinyl roofs and opera windows.That’s luxury, 1970s style. But they could do a Five Hundred style woodgrain dash, cushier seats, audiophile audio systems including satellite radio and navigation systems, exclusive luxury car paint colors and extra sound deadener."

74Mach1: face it bro your really thinking you need a II ghia
Old 2/19/05, 05:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Seems like all the Mustngs I see around here ( and there arent many yet) are all GTs. Very few V6s have shown up yet although they are starting. Seems like the initial lot to arrive last fall were all GTs and now it's a primarily V6 allotment that is coming though but still as a trickle.
Old 2/19/05, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

What I think Ford was trying to do is go by previous years marketing trends because starting a all new poduct it is unpredictable for what is will do, so to be safe Ford just kept to there previous marketing and went to up production on the cheaper V6. Plus this is good for single guys like myself that can't afford insurance on the GT until I get married .

Plus I like how there are a lot of V6's on lots that might mean that incentives are instore to move these cars off the lots to make room for the 07's.

This is all my opinion and I could be wrong
Old 2/19/05, 06:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

What will the 'vert do to the mix - the price increase may 'force' some people to trade off a GT for a V6. I don't think a Mustang GT 'vert is worth over $30K. Does anybody really know what the latest production figures are...and how many orders are in the system?

BTW - my dealer has V6s beginning to pile up - even some with complete IUP - have been on his lot for three weeks. GTs are moving slower than two weeks ago. Maybe it is his pricing.
Old 2/19/05, 06:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bob+February 18, 2005, 11:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bob @ February 18, 2005, 11:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-red454@February 17, 2005, 9:58 PM
I have to wonder if the 05 GT will be looked upon as a collector car in the future...
Depends, I have a theory on collector cars and it goes like this.

for a car to become collectible, it has to have a large following of people who couldn't afford to get one when they were new, but they desired one none the less, at some point in the future when these people become more affluent and are looking for the fountain of youth they desire pristine examples of that car they desired as youths and are willing to shell out big bucks for restored, or low mileage original cars.

I told my die hard chevy buddy that fox-body mustangs would be come collectible, in typical know it all chevy USA #1 arrogance, he told me that in no way could a POS that they produced millions of would be collectible. Interstingly untouched examples of the fox cars (especially the trunks) are fetching pretty good prices sometimes at or above the sticker price.

If enough people lust after the 05+ mustangs they will become collectible, no matter if they produce 1 or 1,000,000. Right now I dunno? If in 2 or 3 years somebody walks up to you while your pumping gas on several occasions and remarks to you about how bad they want a car like yours then its a safe bet that it will become a collectible car down the road.
[/b][/quote]
you might be right but in my opinion a collector car has one or several things. 1. it has to be rare either at the time of production or 10 to a 100 plus years from that production case in point the 2003 and 04 Mustang Mach 1 limited production (rare) and at the time a collector car and still is to this date. 2. All original equipment on the car and is in mint condition. I told my brother to keep is 03 Mach 1 in original equipment meaning no performance exhaust and/or any aftermarket equipment. there are several factors that go into determining a collector car and what is not a collectable car. If you get the speed channel checkout the Barret Jackson classic car auction, they explain what the "experts" think what makes a car a collectable and what makes a car not collectable.

P.S. Tell your jealous Chevy buddy to go cry in his has been Camaro