2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mustang Marketing Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/05, 07:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by exc911ence@February 17, 2005, 8:16 PM
I wouldn't mind a notchback if it looked as good as the photochop that grrr428 did a while back.

There would be so little change in the current design to make this chop that there is no point. I admit this doesn't look bad but compare it to what is currently offered and their is very little change. Mostly because the current model fastback isn't as pronounced as past years. So to offer a notchback, they would need to offer a true fastback, then you could kiss the current incarnation goodbye.
Old 2/17/05, 07:52 PM
Cobra Member

Well, if you really want notchback styling and you want it right now(well, soon)

The vert comes pretty darn close...
Old 2/17/05, 07:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to wonder if the 05 GT will be looked upon as a collector car in the future...
Old 2/17/05, 08:11 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Long-Lewis in Birmingham is a "no haggle" dealership, sort of like Saturn. They post their sale prices on the windshields of all the cars on their lot. The V6s have been going for invoice, about $1300 to $1500 off list, since the first of the year. They'll also order V6s for invoice. For the GT, they'll order for list right now. Go to any Birmingham dealer and use Long-Lewis as leverage and you can get pretty much the same deal. I got my V6 at Ernest McCarty for $100 over invoice, but I suspect that the extra $100 was because they could see the drool.
[/quote]

Which one of my babies did you buy? I assure you if it was a Mccarty Mustang, I have loved all over it. Was it one of these? Thats Ellie up in the bay.

PS- Long screwus is the Devil! I super hate them.
Old 2/17/05, 08:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hatchback won't meet the ridgidity (spelling??) standards the engineers wanted for this car I don't believe.

Notchback, well, I think the car is and will continue to sell without it. No need for it.
Old 2/17/05, 08:40 PM

The bread and butter of the Mustang lineup has been the V6 model-its also the car you seen in the rental fleets. I think first year sales on the 05 GT are high because consumers in the know have been waiting for the new car for a couple of years. As the car is on the market longer you will see more V6 sales, especialy if they introduce V6's with "GT looks" like the pony packages. Please don't compare sales of older Mustangs to today because there are so many cars out there to choose from that the fact the Mustang can sell over 130,000 is a miracle.
Old 2/17/05, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm wondering if the '05 Mustang is just a little too in-your-face for those looking for a plain-jane commuter version. The GT's sell well as it's the musclecar/Mustang faithful that are buying them but does the style appeal to the average 30-something woman who doesn't car about cars in general? Hard to say. The fact that it looks muscular and masculine might even turn away some potential customers who preferred the more generic look of the previous cars. Just a thought...
Old 2/17/05, 08:43 PM

Marketing/Sales 101

My first sermon on this forum:

The 2005 mustang is a new model and was just introduced in the fall/winter. Many average individuals do not even know about the new model mustang for 2005 unless you have seen it on the road or on a TV commercial. Many people who see my 2005 GT actually ask me "what kind of car is that" I'm actually stunned that people don't know. This is because we as a group on this forum are enthusiasts and we all know models, styles engines, etc..etc...for the mustangs from its 1964 1/2 inception. Furthermore, kids that are driving Hondas, Nissans & Toyotas are looking at my car and giving me thumbs up as I speed passed them. This means that if the mustang is appealing to the younger generation traditionally in the years to come we will see much greater sales #'s than Ford can expect.

In addition, a "sport model vehicle" hence the mustang traditionally sells better in the spring/summer. As for my rant, I predict by spring 2006 we will see mustang sales #'s V6's & V8's that are mighty respectable in the current market.

As for the mustang to be discontinued....please give me a break!!!! be sensible in your thought processes.
Old 2/17/05, 08:47 PM
GT Member

I really don't think we have to worry about Mustang sales any time soon, and Ford will introduce special editions as soon as sales slump.

I wouldn't mind seeing a nothback, but I don't think that will really sway anyone who wasn't already considering a Mustang. I don't see it helping sales enough to justify it.

What I'd really like to see is for Ford to "spawn off" a sedan and maybe a Thunderbird replacement from this platform. If they could spread the cost across a line of cars instead of just the Mustang, the Mustang's future would look real good for a long time.

I know that sales of 2 door coupe's aren't very high and can any manufacturer justify 2 rwd coupe's in their lineup? Who knows, but Ford will have to do something to bring back the Thunderbird and I think Mercury could do alright with a "Mustang based" Cougar.

Cougar, a great name but they need to define this car once and for all, quit jumping around all over the place and keep it a "upgraded, luxury, Mustang clone".

RWD sedan could, and should, sell with no problem. Daimler/Chrysler has, and soon G.M. will be, introducing RWD sedans. Ford will need something in this "niche" to compete anyway (Crown Vic/Grand Marquis replacement?).
Old 2/17/05, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Brad, my salesman explained that the ratio of V6s to GTs was due to Federal Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) Standards. Ford has a lot of SUVs, and not as many economy cars. In order to keep the average fuel economy below mandated levels, Ford has to produce more numbers of economical cars. He said that that is why Ford can only build 30% GTs to 70% V6s for 2005. A coworker of mine just ordered a 2005 Corvette (can I say that here?) He got some Z51? performance package, and that added 4-6 weeks to his delivery date. His dealer claimed that it wasn't due to parts availability, but to the CAFE standards. His car will get worse mileage due to tires, gearing, etc., so was delayed for some reason to assist GM with its corporate average. (As if a one month wait will help?) Anyway, a corporation that drops below mandated standards is supposedly liable to pay heavy fines. Of course I don't believe everything my salesman tells me, but it sounded good...
Old 2/17/05, 08:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

That doesn't make that much sense because the fuel milage on the V8 vs the V6 are not that different.

V6 auto : 19/25
V6 Manual: 19/28
GT auto: 18/23
GT Manual: 17/25
Old 2/17/05, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@February 17, 2005, 9:14 PM
Long-Lewis in Birmingham is a "no haggle" dealership, sort of like Saturn. They post their sale prices on the windshields of all the cars on their lot. The V6s have been going for invoice, about $1300 to $1500 off list, since the first of the year. They'll also order V6s for invoice. For the GT, they'll order for list right now. Go to any Birmingham dealer and use Long-Lewis as leverage and you can get pretty much the same deal. I got my V6 at Ernest McCarty for $100 over invoice, but I suspect that the extra $100 was because they could see the drool.

Which one of my babies did you buy? I assure you if it was a Mccarty Mustang, I have loved all over it. Was it one of these? Thats Ellie up in the bay.

PS- Long screwus is the Devil! I super hate them.
I can't spot mine from the photo. Mine's a Windveil blue premium, sport interior, sport exterior, with the side stripes removed. I can't speak to Long-Lewis being "the devil." Back when sabertoothed tigers roamed the woods I bought a 1966 Fairlane GTA and a 1974 Mach I from them with no problems, but they were in Bessemer at the time - that's been a LONG time. I can recommend Ernest McCarty, though. The salesman (BJ) was very competent and nice and always told me the truth. All in all, it was the most pleasant buying experience I've had in some time. I also had my 1995 GT in to McCarty for service for a blown torque converter in 1997, even though I didn't buy it there, and the service department was excellent.

I do understand why a small, family dealership like yours would hate a "factory" like Long-Lewis. Jeez, they're a huge operation. And, unfortunately, they're probably the future of auto dealerships - at least until WalMart starts selling cars.
Old 2/17/05, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

GT's are selling well because it's the people who have been waiting for the car for a while who are buying - the enthusiasts, the people who love sports cars, etc.

And here in NE Ohio, I have only seen 1 mustang on the road (didn't see whether a GT or V6) and the most mustangs I've seen at a dealer were 2 (1 GT 1 V6). I admit I haven't looked in about a month, but anytime I've driven by a Ford dealership I rarely see any outside. Liberty Ford seems to put trucks up front and I have yet to see any mustangs there. Gillingham seems to only have 1 at a time (although I believe they keep GT's in the showroom). I think it just has to do with the time of year - harder to sell a RWD car in winter than a truck. When spring rolls around things'll start changing and the public will be more aware. And consequently the numbers will change to start favoring the sales of V6's.
Old 2/18/05, 02:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TheMustangSource@February 17, 2005, 7:34 PM
I believe that Ford sells 65% V6s because they choose to be blind to the market
... most enthusiasts who wanted V8s like the GT, Mach 1, and Cobra, knew that the 2005 was coming.
I agree, Brad. As I've said before, I think Ford's market research was bad on the '05. Non-IUP V6s are piling up on dealers' lots here in CA. V8s and IUP V6s seem to be what are selling. I think they'll have either have to start rebates on the 6s or palm them off on Hertz (are they still owned by Ford?) to get rid of them.
Old 2/18/05, 03:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@February 17, 2005, 6:09 PM
Ford's marketing department does not make mistakes.
Edsel
Old 2/18/05, 04:25 AM
Cobra Member

Id love to see 3 diff body styles again. And A LOT more color choices!
Old 2/18/05, 05:01 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I do understand why a small, family dealership like yours would hate a "factory" like Long-Lewis. Jeez, they're a huge operation. And, unfortunately, they're probably the future of auto dealerships - at least until WalMart starts selling cars.
[/quote]

Ooh I know your car- I remember seeing it there! I don't have a picture of that one..Just the first WB that still had stripes-thats the one at the Chevron.

Ooh I don't work there(yet), I just spend too much time there- Keeping Eleanor in for her gremlins, and I am in the process of buying a second car from them, will be spending the day there today(and drooling on their new lime ). AND of course I have been there drooling on their mustangs. Jr Browning is my salesman and Charlie Riccio(sp) is a friend.

I hate long lewis because some of the salesmen dislike women. I went to buy a mustang there- the butthole salesman told me to come back when I had my husband with me. I went back to check on my shaker and they told me I was full of it. Ernest Mccarty put a new Fixed series one in this week, because it WAS broke. IF I were to buy from a car factory, I would go with Town and Country.

In any case, they told me they are piled up on the lots right now because its the slow time of year, I was told by the end of March they would be begging for more Mustangs to sell.
Old 2/18/05, 05:43 AM
Bullitt Member

You are staying up at night for nothing .... Look at what happened when Ford tried to replace the Mustang with the Probe. The Mustang will be around for a long time ....
Old 2/18/05, 06:12 AM

The CAFE requirement has merit (car fleet average of 27.5 or face sizable penalties). But lets not forget the 'soft' benefit of having a car like the Mustang in your showroom. Not unlike the effect Chrysler's 300 has had on the enitre Chrysler sales number, Ford is hoping to expose their other products (Five Hundred, Freestyle) to a larger audience, who otherwise may not realize what decent vehicles these are. It will be interesting to see if the Mustang design has legs, or if it will burn out after a few model years.
Old 2/18/05, 08:19 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the CAFE rating is what the primary driving factor is. If Ford makes too many GTs, the CAFE rating will drop.

Quick Reply: Mustang Marketing Mistake?