2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mustang GT tied for best muscle car

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/06, 02:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Mustang GT tied for best muscle car [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

......ousted the corvette---------Sorry bowtie boys [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

In my book, Muscle cars are only 2 door.....how bout you all!

Just saw it on Spike TV

But they listed it at 0-60 at 5.2 I have not heard that one before. I have heard 4.9 secondsand 5.1 seconds
Old 4/22/06, 03:22 PM
V6 Member

Yeah, I saw that too. That's awesome that the mustang beat the corvette. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I think the mustang deserved the award more then the charger IMO. I think that it would of been even better if they took both the mustang and the charger, blocked off a road about a 1/4 mile long, and lined them up and raced to get the award. But atleast the mustang was tied.
Old 4/22/06, 04:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

BOOO, down with MOPAR (essentially), had one and will never buy from again.
Old 4/22/06, 07:37 PM
V6 Member

That 0-60 time is new to me too. Some one at dodge probably gave who ever said that on there a couple extra $ to try to help dodge sell some more of them ugly 4-doored things IMO.
Old 4/22/06, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is there a Jeep faster than 5.2?
Old 4/22/06, 09:36 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is such a lame award. How many muscle cars are there? The Vette is a full-on two seat sports car, not a muscle car. That leaves the Stang and whatever offerings Chrysler Corp. has.

Unless anyone thinks there's something from Japan?

Otherwise, we're talking about a category that contains, what, three cars in total...four? Of course the Mustang is gonna win. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 4/22/06, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

The Charger isnt a muscle car [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] Its just a 4 door with a V8.
Old 4/22/06, 09:44 PM
GT Member

If the Charger is a muscle car, So is the Crown Vic, Impala SS, and Buick Lucerne
Old 4/22/06, 09:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Why was an Audi nominated for Best Muscle Car?
Old 4/23/06, 05:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05MustangFanII @ April 22, 2006, 11:47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If the Charger is a muscle car, So is the Crown Vic, Impala SS, and Buick Lucerne
[/b][/quote]
I would add the Monte Carlo to that list as well.
Old 4/23/06, 05:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

What about the Jeep with the hemi, it's faster that the Dodge and is close to the Mustang GT, is that a muscle car? Of course not.

For those of you that don’t remember or perhaps never knew the Mustang is a pony car that can play sports car or muscle car without being either.

Sports car = two seats, HP and cubic inches are close or better, made anywhere. Example: Alfa Romeo Spider, MG BGT, Corvette.

Pony car = 4 seats, RWD, HP and cubic inches are close or better, and is only Made in USA. Example: Mustang, AMX, Barracuda, Camero, Firebird, and early Cougars.

Muscle car = 5 seats, HP and cubic inches are close or better, made in USA with Australia having there own type of Muscles . Example: Roadrunner, GTO, Torino Cobra, 442, the heavy Chevy’s

I know 40 years have put these terms in a blender, but for me they are timeless.
Old 4/23/06, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MustangDan @ April 23, 2006, 5:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sports car = two seats, HP and cubic inches are close or better, made anywhere. Example: Alfa Romeo Spider, MG BGT, Corvette.

Pony car = 4 seats, RWD, HP and cubic inches are close or better, and is only Made in USA. Example: Mustang, AMX, Barracuda, Camero, Firebird, and early Cougars.

Muscle car = 5 seats, HP and cubic inches are close or better, made in USA with Australia having there own type of Muscles . Example: Roadrunner, GTO, Torino Cobra, 442, the heavy Chevy’s

I know 40 years have put these terms in a blender, but for me they are timeless.
[/b][/quote]

OK, so let's see if I have this right. If it's got two seats and good power its a sports car. Then, what about the AMX which is a two-seater with a 390 cubic inch motor. You have it listed as a pony car on your list. And according to your list the COPO Camaro with four seats and a 427 cubic inch motor and the Boss 429 with four sets and it's massive 429 cubic inch motor are pony cars but not muscle cars. I guess that means a true muscle car has to a large land yacht...and all this time I've considered a Hemi 'Cuda as a muscle car.

To put it lightly I cannot disagree with you more. You cannot pigeon hole cars into these pre-conceived categories based on how many seats the car has. I will say in general a musclecar is one that has an excellent power to weight ratio but is designed for straight line performance only. A sportscar is one that not only has an excellent power to weight ratio and can also handle curves well. However, many, many cars fall into multiple categories. Just to name a few examples, a 1965 Shelby GT350, 1969 COPO Camaro or a 1967 Cougar GTE could be called pony cars, but they are still musclecars! Just as many of the Corvettes could be called both sports car and muscle cars.

Sorry to rant, but I hate to see people try and pigeon hole cars into these neat little categories based solely on some pre-conceived notions (like how many seats it has). [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img]

Now as for the Mustang GT being tied for muscle car of the year, I think that's a huge compliment. Let's face it, we are in the midst of the second muslce car revolution. All the American car manufacturers are getting back into the horsepower game in a big way. Can't wait to see how things shape up once the new Challenger is released. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 4/23/06, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(351pony @ April 23, 2006, 9:20 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
OK, so let's see if I have this right. If it's got two seats and good power its a sports car. Then, what about the AMX which is a two-seater with a 390 cubic inch motor. You have it listed as a pony car on your list. And according to your list the COPO Camaro with four seats and a 427 cubic inch motor and the Boss 429 with four sets and it's massive 429 cubic inch motor are pony cars but not muscle cars. I guess that means a true muscle car has to a large land yacht...and all this time I've considered a Hemi 'Cuda as a muscle car.

To put it lightly I cannot disagree with you more. You cannot pigeon hole cars into these pre-conceived categories based on how many seats the car has. I will say in general a musclecar is one that has an excellent power to weight ratio but is designed for straight line performance only. A sportscar is one that not only has an excellent power to weight ratio and can also handle curves well. However, many, many cars fall into multiple categories. Just to name a few examples, a 1965 Shelby GT350, 1969 COPO Camaro or a 1967 Cougar GTE could be called pony cars, but they are still musclecars! Just as many of the Corvettes could be called both sports car and muscle cars.

Sorry to rant, but I hate to see people try and pigeon hole cars into these neat little categories based solely on some pre-conceived notions (like how many seats it has). [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img]

Now as for the Mustang GT being tied for muscle car of the year, I think that's a huge compliment. Let's face it, we are in the midst of the second muslce car revolution. All the American car manufacturers are getting back into the horsepower game in a big way. Can't wait to see how things shape up once the new Challenger is released. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Did you really read what I wrote? We are not that far apart. Except the 1965 Shelly was not a Muscle car, it was a pony/sports car.

The 67 Cougar was pony but the later 429 eliminator was muscle/pony.

Let me know when you need to know the difference between an American Rock Dove and a Blue Jay.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/starwars.gif[/img]
Old 4/23/06, 02:32 PM
Cobra R Member

I'd say pony car is one in the same now as the muscle car. At least since the advent of the mustang and for sure after the camero in 67. Actually muscle cars go way back to the 50's. I think in the later 60's the term changed with the "pony car" look. long hood, short rear deck, 2 door.
Old 4/23/06, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

John Zachary DeLorean from GM developed the first factory Muscle car the 64 GTO and soon the 442.

Lido Anthony "Lee" Iacocca developed the first Pony car the 1965 Mustang that came out in April of 1964; please don’t call it a 64 and ½. (The first barracuda was released just before that but, it didn't count.)

The thing is if you really want to know things if it was a 64 and ½ or a 65, or you want the history of Muscle cars don’t trust the internet too much for opinion. Get some of the old magazines from the time. They advertised the 66 GT 350H in National Geographic Explorer for example.

It’s ok to call the pigeons, “PIGEONSâ€, for some of us it’s nice to know that they are in-fact American Rock Doves. Call the Mustang Muscle car if you must but, anyone on this forum should know they are in-fact a Pony Car.

Old School Mustang Dan
Old 4/24/06, 09:57 AM
GT Member

I'll bet our Mustang tied with the Charger because they underrated the 0-60! LOL!

Stupid Mopars (Many Odd Parts Assembled at Random!).....gotta love the Hemi wagon SRT (Super ReTarded)!
Old 4/24/06, 10:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Talking

Maybe the Charger wanted a Bullitt rematch [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] They tied with luck, the Mustang is way better than the Charger.
Old 4/24/06, 11:24 AM
Cobra R Member

many odd parts assembled at random [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rofl2.gif[/img]
Old 4/24/06, 02:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sure not a MOPAR fan but personally, I am glad the Charger is out with the Camero maybe making an appearance. Regardless of what they exactly are or are not called,, the more the competition - the better. IMO it will hopefully give us folks a more affordable performance driven SE than the Roushs/Saleens, etc running into the $50K+ range or ones which are just appearance oriented