2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mustang Fever: A Short Novel

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/07, 12:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang Fever: A Short Novel

Chapter 1 "Harley"

I bought my first Mustang a little over a year ago but traded it 6 days later for a Ford Freestyle. I was soooo embarassed that I did not post anything here. Now finally the story can be told. Hopefully others will learn from my mistakes.

I innocently went to the car lot to have some work done to my '93 Taurs SHO. A used car salesman showed me a used torch Red '05 Mustang GT with white lemans stripes, tinted windows, the optional 17" polished wheels, charcoal leather, interior upgrade package, shaker 500 and Flowmaster exhaust. I told him that I was not intrested, but I made a fatal mistake...I test took it for a test drive.

Even though it had been years since I drove a stick shift it soon came back to me. I felt like i was getting off
of a roller coaster when I got out of the car. I was weak in the knees and my hands shook for a moment. I was seduced by the sound melodious burble of the exhaust note. I was a goner. I had contracted a bad case of Mustang fever.

I had always been a fan of Mustangs like most people are fans of sports teams but I had never owned one. Now it was different, I felt I could not wait any longer.

I asked my wife and a work mate to talk me out of it but I justified every doubt that I had. I knew that it did not have the Bullitt wheels that I longed for but I planned to paint them black. The stripes looked like they were home made from contact paper and they did not go all the way over the car. I thought I could have the stripes removed or redone properly. Since I love all the colors on the Mustang I thought I could live with the red paint as long as it had a V8 and a stick shift.

On an impulse I bought that car and named it "Harley" after the Joker's girl friend Harley Quinn. She made me grin from ear to ear. And Harley called the Joker "Mr. J" and my last name started with "J". Everyone that I told about her thought that I was joking. It turned out that the joke was on me.

"Harley" was a heart breaker. As soon as I signed the paper work I felt sick to my stomach. The rose colored glasses soon fell off my face and shattered to a million pieces.

I thought that I would have the instant gratification of having a custom car with options like the exhaust that I may not have done for some time. The exhaust was great most of the time, but sometimes I did not want the attention. "Harley" was a red car with white lemans stripes might as well have been driving with a giant bullseye on! She screamed for attention and people were falling over themselves to get a look. I felt like I was driving someone else's car. "Harley" was bossing me around telling me what she would look like. She was not what I wanted in my dream car.

Everything that I had heard bad about the '05 applied to that car. The suspension made a popping noise, the window tint was scratched and the fuel tank was hard to fill up. I was having second thoughts.

I had traded my wife's '01 Taurus wagon to get that car. They had a 7 day trade in policy and I had to go to work the next day. With one day on the clock I did the unthinkable.

I traded "Harley" for a Black '05 Freestyle that was fully loaded and with "employee pricing" it was a better deal than what I had overpaid for "Harley." I needed to reevaluate what I wanted in a Mustang and my wife needed a car.

The Freestyle has been great for hauling things and people and on long road trips. I still had my Taurus SHO. I felt relieved to not be burdened by debt to a car that was not what I wanted.

The few people that I had seen me with "Harley" were more upset than I was that I had given up the car. I had been waiting so long and had talked about Mustangs so much, it did not make sense to them. It has been a long year of being teased about my decision.

I posted pics below of "Harley" and me that were taken on a camera phone by a friend.

Chapter 2 "Nelly"

I am much more opinionated now as to what I want in a Mustang.

Long story short... after refinacing my home and paying off the Freestyle I bought a stealthy Black '07 Mustang GT with the GT appearance package a few days ago. I plan to add silver "C" stripes. She is exactly what I want. As soon "Nelly" is not naked I will post pics. See my new sig. for details on "Nelly", "Harley's" younger sister.

"Nelly" is an old fashioned name for a horse and a nick name for Eleanor. (You know like "Gone in 60 Seconds.")

All the nay sayers will have to eat their words and their hearts out when they see "Nelly".

I finally bought my dream car! As one chapter ends another begins. The story does not end with "happily ever after" but simply to be continued.
Attached Images   
Old 1/2/07, 01:39 AM
Bullitt Member

well at least you got your dream car right?
Old 1/2/07, 02:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
A parallel story here.I trade my 06'GT for an AWD Freestyle LTD.But I eneded up with an 07"GT G.O. anyways.My fever is under cotrol and I feel better now.
I can't complain about the Freestyle...lots of power,room and heated seats to name a few options.Its been awesome during this last couple of snow storms here in Denver. Here is a a pic of the G.O. when I first brought home.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang Fever: A Short Novel-hpim0242-2-2-.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 1/2/07, 04:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05mustangman
well at least you got your dream car right?
Oh, yeah! I am very happy with "Nelly", but who isn't happy on their honeymoon!
Old 1/2/07, 04:33 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the encouragement GrabberOgre I thought I was the only one. I love the Freestyle too. Ours is also AWD LTD.
Nice color choices on your cars too!