2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mustang Competiton less than one year away

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/07, 06:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The question is how long will Chrysler last in the market? They just announced slashing of 13,000 jobs and closing several plants (including the Newark, DE plant - pronounced New Ark, not Newark).
Old 2/14/07, 06:11 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by exgto
I can see you're no fan of anything Chrysler, and I respect your opinion. However, keeping things on a fact based point of discussion, you are incorrect in a couple of assumptions.
I don't dislike Chrysler per se. My family inherited my grandparents' 1951 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe Club Coupe when I was a kid. It was a beautiful car, dark metallic green paint and a WOOL interior, if you can believe that.

But today's Chrysler is going in entirely the wrong direction, IMHO, particularly with this Chery collaboration. Most of their new vehicles (with the exception of the forthcoming Challenger - which looks great, I'll admit) look hideous, IMO.

1. The SRT8's are faster in the 1/4 than a stock GT. I won't getinto a ****ing match as to how much because that's subjective. Suffice to say, the GT will run comperable 0-60's as you pointed out, but the SRT8 owns the GT in the 1/4 and top speed.
1/4 mile is entirely possible, as is top speed, I'll grant you that. But remember, too, the "Street and Racing Technology" division are creating hopped up hot rods out of the 300C. A CAI intake + tune and some FRPP parts on my Stang, and I'll have no trouble hanging with or outright spanking the 300C SRT-8.

As to the top speed between the two cars, are you certain that's not a function of the limiter?

2. Call them portly, call them bloated, but sadly, most cars today fit that description without the excuse of being full sized 4 door 5 passenger luxury equipped sedans. I need only to mention the Shelby GT500 to make that point.
I think "most" is a bit of a misnomer, but certainly many, and definitely the mid-sized vehicles of today. And again, the GT500 weighs too much; the universal complaint about the car.

3. That 4,000 lb plus weight has not prevented them from being exceptionally good handling cars. look at some of the road course, skidpad data, and braking perfromance, and you'll discover they are better than our GT's.
I have a friend who has a deluxe (though regular) 300C. I've driven it but I haven't driven the SRT-8 (only sat in a couple) so I can't speak to its skidpad prowess firsthand. I do know that Top Gear tested the 300C SRT-8 against the current BMW M5 and the Chrysler not only lost...but lost badly. But then, the SRT-8 is sort of a "poor man's" BMW, so perhaps it doesn't matter since it's a LOT cheaper to begin with.

I actually have a bit of a soft spot for the 300C. The SRT-8 version looks very cool ... and then you sit inside one and the fantasy ends. Not only is the interior cheap, but the design elements just don't work well together and the ergonomics are horrible. Despite the shortcomings of the Mustang's interior, controls fall to your fingertips more readily, and the design is more pleasing.

...with the Nav and heated seats on. Sure beats a minivan, and I'll tip my hat to the SRT8's anyday.
NAV and heated seats are now both available on the Mustang, and the NAV system in the Mustang is MUCH better than the 300C - that I can attest to for a fact.

I never would have imagined there would be ultra low 13 second, Brembo braked, hot rod sedans. These are good days.
Now that's one thing we CAN agree upon.
Old 2/14/07, 06:13 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by metroplex
The question is how long will Chrysler last in the market? They just announced slashing of 13,000 jobs and closing several plants (including the Newark, DE plant - pronounced New Ark, not Newark).
Agreed. Though some might say the same thing about Ford.
Old 2/15/07, 07:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
Agreed. Though some might say the same thing about Ford.

BC I may have to "acquire" your signature breakdown of your car. I like the format, but I miss the link to your business. Used to go there all the time but new comp and links were lost. Please put it back if you can.
Old 2/15/07, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
GT500-500hp now in 09 I here it will be 550hp
Challenger-425hp possibly 500??? I'm betting GT500 for now
I still think that if Chrysler does this right, they will have the 400HP NA $35,000 market all to themsevles. Right now, Mustang has nothing to offer at that price performance point, and I don't think they will have anything out in less than a year unless they have been very good at keeping it under wraps.
Old 2/15/07, 01:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The base 07 Corvette has the same weight to power ratio as the 07 GT500. Even with 50 more horsepower, the base Corvette will still be a better buy considering the exorbitant ADMs dealers are asking.
Old 2/15/07, 03:25 PM
V6 Member

Still, to get production rolling sooner than later, it looks as though they're going to build it off the current (read: outgoing/outdated) 300 platform.
Wasn't the 300 introduced in '05? The same year as our Mustangs. Is a two year old platform considered dated now? If history means anything, the next new Mustang platform will be in 2031.
Old 2/15/07, 05:33 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 1meanZ
Wasn't the 300 introduced in '05? The same year as our Mustangs. Is a two year old platform considered dated now? If history means anything, the next new Mustang platform will be in 2031.
The current 300C platform was already "out of date" when it was first introduced. It's a modified version of the previous generation Mercedes E-Class chassis, if memory serves.

There's been plenty of discussion about an updated version which is allegedly currently in the works.
Old 2/15/07, 05:42 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by MilStang
BC I may have to "acquire" your signature breakdown of your car. I like the format, but I miss the link to your business. Used to go there all the time but new comp and links were lost. Please put it back if you can.
I actually took it out intentionally because people were always beatching and whining and making derogatory comments about journalists and journalism in general.

So "out" it stays.

But check your PM. The url is in there.
Old 2/15/07, 08:49 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by MrMojo1953
Agreed. And an aftermarket front fascia with the right look could be a big seller.
Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a Firebird hood, front and rear fascia for the new Camaro (like some of the renderings seen on this site)? If anyone can, I'd like to see that.
Old 2/16/07, 03:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I actually took it out intentionally because people were always beatching and whining and making derogatory comments about journalists and journalism in general.

So "out" it stays.

But check your PM. The url is in there.

Well some journalist maybe but I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the link and now....back to topic.