2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cloth or Vinyl Top?

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/07, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cloth or Vinyl Top?

I was all set on a cloth top, but a friend told me not to get one because they mildew bad. Is this true? Is vinyl better? Is cloth worth the extra money? I know they look nicer, but which one holds up better to the elements?

Thanks!

- Holly
Old 2/13/07, 09:19 PM
Cobra R Member

There's no elements in the garage!!!
Old 2/14/07, 03:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Both tops will mildew and fade when left outside. I have a owned both. The cloth top is much nicer. using a protectant will help but there is no substitute for keeping a convertible in the garage.
Old 2/14/07, 07:11 AM
V6 Member

The Mustang cloth can only be had in black so my experience with stains on the tan one I had on my z3 are probably not very relavent.

I've noticed a lot of dandelion fluff (cottonwood droppings or whatever it is) clinging to cloth ones up here.

The vinyl shed water quickly so you don't have to worry about retracting a damp top after a brief downpour.

Still I'd probably strongly consider going with cloth as a replacement for my vinyl if it tears because it feels better when you pet it.
Old 2/14/07, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't have a choice on my 05 but given the choice I think I'd still stick with Vinyl. Of course mine is a daily driver in Wisconsin.
Old 2/14/07, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

i opted for cloth. i think it looks much richer. should be here 1st week of march
Old 2/14/07, 08:57 AM
GT Member

When I was originally ordering my Stang I was happy with the vinyl top. I'm not sure if the cloth was available at the time (Aug 06). Then when I went in to reorder at another dealership in November of 06, I saw the cloth top. OMG. The look and feel of it was so much nicer. I love my cloth top. I'm so glad I spent the extra few pennies.

I should note that the car is kept in a garage tho. It's snowing here today and I had to leave my baby at home and bust out the Maxima. I miss my baby. But it's worth it to keep it nice and clean in the garage!

Good luck in your choice.
Old 2/14/07, 06:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like the way the cloth fits. vinyl holds up waaay better. Easier to clean
Old 2/14/07, 07:47 PM
Cobra R Member

The cloth looks a little "richer", but I am very happy with the vinyl.

With the vinyl, you can easily run a brush over it to clean it. And to dry, you just run a towel over it. The top dries real fast anyway, but I always take a towel to it so that it doesn't get spots. Also, to make it shiny, you could always put silicone spray/gel on it (same stuff as tire shine)

I've heard with the cloth tops that it attracts felt from towels and car covers. Also, I don't know how easy they are to clean, as I have no experience with them.

In the end, it's probably 6 of one, half dozen of another. Once the time comes to replace my top (and it will, eventually, as all convertibles do), I will seriously have to debate which one to go with.

But in your case, I would say to just find the car that you like, and don't let the top material be a major factor in whether or not to purchase it.

Remember: the grass is always greener on the other side
Old 2/14/07, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

They say a picture's worth a thousand words.

Yes, I do get some lint from the car cover. My solution was to cut a piece of thin plastic to size that's normally used to throw down on the floor when painting. It adds an additional 30 seconds to covering the car.

Would I get cloth over vinyl if I had to do it all over again??....you betcha!!
Attached Thumbnails Cloth or Vinyl Top?-07vert05.jpg  
Old 2/14/07, 08:58 PM
Cobra R Member

The above pic is why I'm glad I have an 05: no decision making was required.

Also, there is one other thing to point out: when you're driving with the top down, who notices anyway?
Old 2/14/07, 09:16 PM
V6 Member

Get a coupe, no mildew to worry about when it's metal
Old 2/14/07, 09:18 PM
Cobra R Member

No, but acid rain is a worry, and so is waxing the huge piece of metal.

With the vert, it's just dry and go. No worries about scratches, bird droppings, dents, freaks of nature, etc
Old 2/14/07, 09:39 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When it rains,many members have complained about the cloth top retaining water. Is it easier to get bird poop off of vinyl or cloth?..You can guess which. Also i am very practical and think about things like cleaning ,fading,etc. which is one of the main reasons I didn't buy Redfire or black.. and I freakin love those colors . Having a vert is like owning 2 different cars..AWESOME Chicks dig the vert as well
Old 2/15/07, 05:49 AM
Bullitt Member

The cloth looks great. Although it gets wet you can treat it with RaggTopp Protectant. And removing lint is a peice of cake with a lint roller.
Old 2/15/07, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Having a vert is like owning 2 different cars..AWESOME Chicks dig the vert as well
Well, being a "chick" myself, "chicks dig the vert" is not the reason I'm getting one

And I'm still on the fence as far as cloth or vinyl...the answers seem to be 50/50. Thanks for all of the inputs though, keep them coming. Thankfully I have a couple of months to make up my mind
Old 2/15/07, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

This one's been debated a thousand times. Yes vinyl is easier to maintain but cloth looks a thousand times better. Yes cloth attracts lint and doesn't dry as quickly but there are solutions: I have coverking car cover that doesn't leave anything on the top, and a quick application of Ragg Topp keeps the water from soaking in. If you look at the cloth and vinyl side-by-side there's no question about which looks better. It's a cheap option that really improves the appearance of the car. This is the first year that Ford offered the cloth top on anything other than the Cobra or GT500 and it's a definite must have IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails Cloth or Vinyl Top?-6-005.jpg  
Old 2/15/07, 08:13 PM
Cobra R Member

I bring back one argument: who sees it with the top down.

Realistically, convertibles are made to be photographed with the top down anyway. Engineer's don't usually care what it looks like with the top up, because top up driving is purely functional only (inclement weather or "security" when parked). The whole point of the vert is to drop the top. So, who cares what it looks like with the top up.

Now, with that said, I still agree that the cloth top looks "richer". And I also repeat myself that I'm glad that I didn't have to make this decision, my year didn't have the option. But, the vinyl doesn't look that terrible:
Attached Thumbnails Cloth or Vinyl Top?-2005-mustang-016.jpg  
Old 2/16/07, 10:35 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mikes rx
No, but acid rain is a worry, and so is waxing the huge piece of metal.

With the vert, it's just dry and go. No worries about scratches, bird droppings, dents, freaks of nature, etc
So the rest of the car is also made of cloth?? LOL You're forgetting about the boot and the hood, and the doors, and the fenders, etc...

+1 for hardtops. I took one look at the convertibles at the dealership and said No way. With the top up, your rear "windshield" is useless. With the top down, you'll eventually go deaf on the highway from the wind noise. Heck, I don't even drive on the highway with the windows down... ever. If my A/C is busted, I keep the windows up and sweat it out.
Old 2/16/07, 10:49 AM

With the top down, you'll eventually go deaf on the highway from the wind noise. Heck, I don't even drive on the highway with the windows down... ever. If my A/C is busted, I keep the windows up and sweat it out
That is easily the dumbest reason I have ever heard not buy a ragtop.
I have owned 5 Mustang convertibles and this one has the least wind noise of any i have been in.
I'll take the open air and the wind over being locked in a sweaty non-airconditioned vehicle any day of the week.

Quick Reply: Cloth or Vinyl Top?