2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

May buy my dream GT vert in the next couple days!

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/05, 08:28 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, unbelievably I found a local dealer with a new '05 black mustang vert on his lot, with all the options I want except the spoiler delete (darn thats going to cost me when i install the ducktail and have to repaint the trunk).

The price manager said ok to x-plan (so said the salesman over the phone).

My questions about the sale are as follows:

What should I expect to pay on top of x-plan? I'm thinking taxes, destination and tags? X-plan uses dealer invoice without holdback, correct?
I am thinking of heading over there in the next few days and want as much info as possible so there will be no "suprises" that I can't counter when they try and close the deal.

This will be first first car after 8 years (I ride a bike everywhere). My last car was an '85 5.0 vert, I'm increadibly excited to go get this deal but im feeling a bit wary about the dealer.

The first time I emailed the dealer they said they only sold the new mustang at MSRP, no more or less.

I was going to order an '06 instead but this seems like a great opportunity, what do you think?

Thanks all for a great forum, I have been lurking for months... I have attached a quick photochop of Vegasjay's awesome couple changed into a vert with a chin spoiler which will be my first mod after the rims tires and ducktail.

Cheers!
-John

Here she is
Old 8/23/05, 12:14 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x-plan is suppose to be cut and dry. Price is .4% under invoice cost. Then Tax, Tags and Title fees. That's all that should be added on. Don't know if your state has dealers trying to do "Processing Fees" but when you use x-plan that is not suppose to be added. If you can snag the 2005 at x-plan I say jump on it and enjoy it! Wish I could get mine now. Unfortunately I have to wait for budget reasons until Jan for mine! Oh well, at least I know I'm getting one!
Old 8/23/05, 05:15 AM
Cobra Member

X-plan is very close to invoice; not invoice less holdback. If they are willing to sell it at that, I would not wait a couple days, as the car could be gone. I know around here a GT lasts at the most 2 days on a delaers lot.
Old 8/23/05, 07:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
I hope I am wrong, but the agreement over the phone to sell at x-plan on this car may be just to get you on the lot. Then it is the, "Well I am a new salesman and didn't know any better" tapdance. "Oh, you meant the one on the lot? I am so sorry, I thought you meant you wanted to ORDER one on x-plan."

I hope I am wrong. If you drive it off the lot for x-plan you really need to post so we can all celebrate the deal of the century with you!
Old 8/23/05, 08:08 AM
GT Member

Got lucky and bought mine at X-plan. Sticker was $33410. Paid x-plan price $30812. Only extras were sales tax, license, and dealer doc fee of $52, which I still think I shouldn't have paid but wasn't about to press considering I bought at x-plan.

As posted above, run don't walk, to the dealer with money in your hand if they will give you x-plan on this 05.

Good Luck!
Old 8/24/05, 09:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<bump>

So what's the update? John, did it happen for you??
Old 8/24/05, 10:30 AM
GT Member

I'm headed over there today, they still have the vert in stock, and are still saying x-plan is cool. Sounds too good to be true, but I'll know after lunch!

Old 8/24/05, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well? WELL?? We're all dying to find out here!
Old 8/24/05, 07:11 PM
3rd Times A Charm

BUY IT!!!
Old 8/24/05, 10:16 PM
GT Member

Ok it was 2pm, I was finally headed out for lunch to go get my GT. I had the money ready and was giddy with excitement. I borrowed one of my employee's cars and headed out. Not 2 minutes later my phone rang. "Hi is this John?"....."Yes"...."You are coming over for the black vert right?"...."Yesss?!!"......"Well I dont want to waste your time, my manager told me we will sell this car over labor day at retail....so sorry to waste your time"......
(response....CENSORED>>>>>CENSORED>>>>>CENSORED)

darn am I dissappointed. I kicked my desk so hard I thought I broke my toe. The only thing I can say is that the salesman was honest in explaining to me that he didn't want me to come down there for nothing...they said yes to x-plan at first to him then told him later they just wanted me on the lot. I even talked to the sales manager and he lied to me directly, assuring me x-plan would be fine.

Well it looks like I'm ordering an '06 with hopes on getting a build date any time soon.

I will never do business with that dealer again. It's one thing to tell me the truth and say no x-plan or even tell me they have a big mark up, it's another to straight out lie. If I got there and found out they lied to me I can't imagine what heck I would have raised.

Anyway, I'm off tommorow to a more local dealer for my '06 order at supposed x-plan.......sigh. Im losing faith in Ford..

-John, slightly deflated :notnice:
Old 8/24/05, 10:30 PM
Cobra Member

its not FORD its greedy dealer owners
Old 8/24/05, 10:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I knew it I knew it I KNEW IT!

I am so sorry, brother. Find a dealer that doesn't jerk your chain like that and order your Mustang!
Old 8/25/05, 12:12 AM
GT Member

Yup I am ordering from another dealer that promises x-plan as well... (I'll have that story in the next couple of days). I spoke at length with the sales manager after that bad experience with some choice words about his sales practices, which made me feel slightly better.

In my business if I did that to my clients I would never get repeat business. Bait and switch is illegal in print, and is borderline actionable verbally. Anyway I understand why this dealer hasn't grown his business in 6 years. I will tell everyone I know not to trust them, word of mouth is a powerful thing, both to promote sales and to lose them...

Anyway "Illegitimi Non Carborundum"

No worries, I just have to wait a while longer, and can order the car exactly as I want it instead of very close. I've waited for years for ford to make a nice mustang again, a couple moths of waiting for mine is no problem, my mountain bike won't be neglected for a bit longer.
Old 8/25/05, 12:06 PM

so what dealer was it?