2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

"Market Adjustment: $3500"

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/04, 02:01 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I posted before the dealer I ordered my car from got another GT in before he got mine. Mine's supposedly in Miami on it's way here on their next shipment sometime this week, or a week and a half from now at latest. So I went in today to try to talk to the guy I've been dealing with but I was told he only works from Monday to Friday. I thought I'd go over just to take another look at the the Satin Silver GT that's supposed to be picked up tommorow by it's owner and my worst fear was realized, a new sitcker was on the car that wasn't there last time I saw it.

"MSRP: $29,120
Market Adjustment: $3,500
Total Price: $32,620"

The worst part might have been that it was already sold! With my GT coming in any day now (ha), I can't help but fear my dealer is going to try slap the exact same premium on my price tag. If that happens I'm sad to say my Mustang adventure comes to an end...That premium is ridiculous and a 8-10 week wait AGAIN for a car I've already been waiting on for 5-6 months and am only going to own for about 2 years, well it just doesn't make sense. I'll be going in tommorow and discussing the pricing (which he's been avoiding), with my dealer tommorow, and the most I'll pay is MSRP. I'm in such a bad position because honestly in Miami even WITH the huge premium, they're not going to have any problem selling me car Does anyone have any advice to offer on what to do tommorow being in such a bad position? Thanks alot...going to...*sigh* look at some other cars now.
Old 10/17/04, 02:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I guess I get to be the first to say this but
Old 10/17/04, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

tell him u ordered it, and you'll pay for the car you ordered, not for the showroom air you're breathing.
Bullitt Member

Lame. If you can't get a good deal on the stang, and you still want a V8 muscle car, maybe check out the GTO --you could probably cut a pretty sweet deal on one. And no flames, please. Good luck with yours.
Mach 1 Member

Being as you are in a bad position here is what I would do. If all fails at your dealership - which is what likely will happen as you discribed it. Call email what ever all the Forida, Georgia dealerships and I'm sure you will find one that will sell at MSRP. Heck here they are selling at invoice plus 500. Buy the car via phone fly up or rent a car and drive it home. The trip will cost less than 400 bucks and you are ahead with the car you want. The country isn't that big and I've bought cars over the past 12 years in many states.
Old 10/17/04, 02:19 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I hope you have the deal and final price in writing.

If they do try to pull something like that on you, I would first go up the dealer chain in command, if that fails, I would bring the story up to the local news media. Usually at least one news channel in a city has a "consumer crusader" who goes around and tries to fix bad deals, and it will give your dealer a black eye as well.

Reminder anyone who is ordering their Mustang soon (myself included) GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING
Old 10/17/04, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well...at least now you now what dealer not to buy another car from next time...lookey like they're givin you the runnaround BS. I'd sy go to another dealer who will be willing to play some cards with you. As a matter of fact, start shopping around at other dealers. If not...then wait a bit. In a few months time, there will be plenty of 05 GT's at dealer lots and for a lot less $$$. 32K of a GT is just waaaay too much! If ya really need a new mustang badly, then get an 04GT, Mach1, or Cobra. There are still plenty left and you can save sooo much $$$. I looked at the sales ads this morning in my paper and a local dealer (Frits Ford) is selling any mustang, including SVT's with 7K off the MSRP. :shock: :headbang: :spin:
Old 10/17/04, 02:32 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. Yea I'll hopefully be able to spin something back on them even if I don't get my car but I'm still going to do my best to try and get MSRP. The price on the GT is really impressive but it wasn't veen a huge issue, it was just my all around favorite current car. I love everything about it and well the low price tag helped. If I do get screwed I'm probably going to get a used Carrera or M3, but i'd still take my mustang over those any day (against the advice of my friends ha). It may just not be meant to be I'll still try Forddirect to find one somewhere in the state exactly like mine if i can.

edit: By the way, time is a factor, because in a little less tha 2 years i'll be moving to New York where I won't need a car, so a 8-10 week wait is a considerable amount of time in that respect.
Old 10/17/04, 02:50 PM

Yea i went to see that silver gt also today that 3500 up charge its crazy atleast at midway its 3000 bucks save 500. but still im going to wait til they take that thing off
Old 10/17/04, 02:56 PM

In North Carolina, one dealer is selling 05 Mustangs for $98 over invoice. It might be worth the drive.
Old 10/17/04, 03:12 PM

So basically the price isn't going to be near $25,000? It's going to be near the $30K? Or is this just because of being shipped?
Old 10/17/04, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by infiniteengine@October 17, 2004, 2:04 PM
As I posted before the dealer I ordered my car from got another GT in before he got mine. Mine's supposedly in Miami on it's way here on their next shipment sometime this week, or a week and a half from now at latest. So I went in today to try to talk to the guy I've been dealing with but I was told he only works from Monday to Friday. I thought I'd go over just to take another look at the the Satin Silver GT that's supposed to be picked up tommorow by it's owner and my worst fear was realized, a new sitcker was on the car that wasn't there last time I saw it.

"MSRP: $29,120
Market Adjustment: $3,500
Total Price: $32,620"

The worst part might have been that it was already sold! With my GT coming in any day now (ha), I can't help but fear my dealer is going to try slap the exact same premium on my price tag. If that happens I'm sad to say my Mustang adventure comes to an end...That premium is ridiculous and a 8-10 week wait AGAIN for a car I've already been waiting on for 5-6 months and am only going to own for about 2 years, well it just doesn't make sense. I'll be going in tommorow and discussing the pricing (which he's been avoiding), with my dealer tommorow, and the most I'll pay is MSRP. I'm in such a bad position because honestly in Miami even WITH the huge premium, they're not going to have any problem selling me car Does anyone have any advice to offer on what to do tommorow being in such a bad position? Thanks alot...going to...*sigh* look at some other cars now.
Dude, there a ton of Ford dealers. I had good luck with Brandon Ford in Tampa
and I live in Kentucky. I wasnt afaid to travel to get the best deal I could.

Be patient and dont pay msrp. Tell your dealer to go straight to heck if he tries that
crap. I feel your pain but dont give in to those kinds of dealers. Good luck.
Old 10/17/04, 04:43 PM
V6 Member

Being in Miami, and being that there are idiots here who would probably pay $8000 over MSRP, I decided I'd settle on invoice. I'm going to talk to my dealer tommorow, I'm going to tell him I know people are paying $500 over invoice and that $3500 over MSRP is just ridiculous. If he won't go to MSRP I'm walking, and that's it. Also, the new C6 isn't bad either, but the Mustangs got it beat on design for sure. Ideal situation: my dealer drops to MSRP, but I'm prepared for the worst.
Old 10/17/04, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Dude, don't let a greedy hiney dealer put you off from buying the car you truly want. Just let them put you off from buying it THERE. Do not EVER pay a penny over MSRP. If that means having to go somewhere else and wait again, wait. You will deffo kick yourself in the nuts in half a year if you buy something else now, and you see all those sweet Stangs on the road every day! Believe me been there done that.
Old 10/17/04, 04:56 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Eric B@October 17, 2004, 4:55 PM
Dude, don't let a greedy hiney dealer put you off from buying the car you truly want. Just let them put you off from buying it THERE. Do not EVER pay a penny over MSRP. If that means having to go somewhere else and wait again, wait. You will deffo kick yourself in the nuts in half a year if you buy something else now, and you see all those sweet Stangs on the road every day! Believe me been there done that.
I know you're mostly right but on he other hand i also wouldnt be happy if i settled for a GT off the lot that wasn't exactly how I wanted it.
Old 10/17/04, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

There has to be a dozen different Ford dealers within 20 miles of you there...........why let one screw you over and give up? IF that is what happens. Simply go somewhere else. Someone will deal, especially if you are armed with the correct pricing info that is posted all over this sight!
Old 10/17/04, 05:51 PM
GT Member

Don't do business with a dealer that sells for sticker plus....or as they call it....."market adjustment". It's a really bad practice. It really hurt the new TBird initially, and it will do the same to the Mustang. Ford Motor Company hates it. Complain to the district rep about the specific dealer who does such a thing. Fortunately, as others have said in this thread, there are plenty of dealers who will engage in this practice.
Old 10/17/04, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How did you make the order in the first place....Even my salesman at least put down at msrp or z plan (depended on if they were going to do the plans)...Luckily for me they ended up doing the plan but at least the most it would have been would be msrp with no "markups".... I agree with EVERBODY....If they don't do at least msrp, start calling other dealers. Either way, in a few weeks they will start hitting dealers on a regular basis and you can fly if you have to and pick one up. Think of the fun or riding one home. That alone would be worth the experience and think of where you could go on 3500.00. I know a few more weeks can be a b...ch but hang in there, it's just a matter of time now....
Old 10/17/04, 09:29 PM

Plantation Ford, getting mine at $100 above invoice, check em out, not more than 45 mins north of you, ~25 on the way home in a new stang
Old 10/17/04, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by knight816@October 17, 2004, 9:32 PM
Plantation Ford, getting mine at $100 above invoice, check em out, not more than 45 mins north of you, ~25 on the way home in a new stang
I doubt you'll find any Mustangs @ $100 over invoice at this point. Is that with a plan? Regardless, with dealers shooting this adjustment out there, today or tomorrow, they won't be giving this car away like this. Not logical-business wise that is.

Quick Reply: "Market Adjustment: $3500"