2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Magnaflow axle-back kit is on

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/04 | 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Redfire 05Gt@December 15, 2004, 2:11 PM
Madhouse,
Are they standard Magnaflows or Magnapaks?
Magnaflows

I guess I should've gotten the others? This is my first Mustang, I should've waited and heard a few different combinations. But, someone said Magnaflows were good, so I bought. Oh well, there's a stinker born every minute, eh?

:bang:
Old 12/15/04 | 01:15 PM
I Have No Life

If they are good enough for Chip Foose, they are good enough for me
Old 12/15/04 | 01:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Madhouse+December 15, 2004, 1:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Madhouse @ December 15, 2004, 1:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Redfire 05Gt@December 15, 2004, 2:11 PM
Madhouse,
Are they standard Magnaflows or Magnapaks?
Magnaflows

I guess I should've gotten the others? This is my first Mustang, I should've waited and heard a few different combinations. But, someone said Magnaflows were good, so I bought. Oh well, there's a stinker born every minute, eh?

:bang: [/b][/quote]
Magnaflows and not paks you say. I haven't heard your sound clips yet (no speakers on this office PC)...I'll listen tonight.

Adrenalin, you have the paks do you not?

I listened to the paks from the passenger seat in a black GT around the block and didn't like the noise at 1900 RPM - it hurt my ears. Outside of that, I would have gotten the paks. My Bassani's are quite loud, deep, and heavy under load at 1900 but don't hurt my eardrums like the paks did.

Now that I've had them for a week, they're a little bit louder in the low RPM/high load than I would like for my daily driving (which averages 2500 Km/mth or 1600 miles). I'm trying to avoid the word "drone" but I guess that's what everyone calls it?
Old 12/15/04 | 02:06 PM
I Have No Life

I currently have the paks. I had the regular magnaflows but due to FORD changing the exhaust pipe design mid-production and not telling the aftermarket guys, the mufflers did not line up properly so with the help of Magnaflow and Partshopper I replaced them with the cat-back magnapak system.

That being said I know what both sound like. The magnaflows, in my opinion, sounded a lot better than the stock exhaust. You really notice the different OWT. Even sitting in a garage you notice the difference right away but not until you get out on the road does it really stand out.

As far as the paks, yes, at 1900 rpm the drone is loud, kinda like my old Flowmasters and my other MAC exhaust but I can handle it. The paks are definately louder than the standard magnaflows.

Go to

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showforum=43

for alot of exhaust information and look at the magnaflow threads for more info.
Old 12/15/04 | 02:31 PM
FR500 Member

I have just the regular Magnaflow axle-back and love the sound. At idle it is quieter than stock. I stressed that in a thread on here after I installed them over a month ago. But, when you accelerate, even just a little, they have a deeper sound than the stock mufflers. Not quite as loud unless you slam the accelerator. When you floor it, the Magnaflows are a bit louder than stock, and a whole lot meaner. If you were looking for loud, you should have at least got the paks. Magnaflow isn't known to be real loud though. They have a deep classy sound... if you wanted loud, you should have waited and done more research and heard more sound clips. Some guys are actually just taking their mufflers off all together. But, just sell them on eBay... you should be able to get almost what you paid for them.
Old 12/15/04 | 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I've heard Magnaflows on 03-04 Cobras before and I like their sound the best of any system I have heard. They sound really beefy yet mellow. However, my comments echo what others have said here. The stock system sounds so great, I just don't get why would you modify it to begin with.
Old 12/15/04 | 03:08 PM
FR500 Member

The main reason I went and did it was because I hate the stock tips. Not only are they too small and the metal too thin, but the amount they stuck out and the fact that they had that ugly round cutout on the top... I really wanted some 4" thicker rolled tips. As well as the 10-15 HP that the Magnaflows give. I wasn't trying to change the sound as much as the look. But I love the sound. Deeper than stock. Louder when you first start it up and when you get on it. A friend of mine who drove behind me both when I had stock mufflers and then the Magnaflows said he couldn't hear the exhaust when it was stock. But he heard me from a block away with the Magnaflows because they were deeper.
Old 12/15/04 | 03:12 PM
FR500 Member

And to add to that... I get some compliments on the sound (which was the same when I had the stock mufflers on) but when stock, not one person complimented me on those fugly stock tips. Everyone compliments me on the new rolled 4" tips. A picture says a thousand words...
Old 12/15/04 | 03:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hmmm, maybe JBA headers, Bassani X-pipe with high flow cats and Standard Magnaflows on the back end would give me the sound, look & performance I'm after... :scratch: :bang: :scratch: :bang: :scratch: :bang:
Old 12/15/04 | 04:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Redfire...you aren't happy with the bassani mufflers?
Old 12/15/04 | 04:35 PM
I Have No Life

Originally posted by acadian@December 15, 2004, 4:15 PM
And to add to that... I get some compliments on the sound (which was the same when I had the stock mufflers on) but when stock, not one person complimented me on those fugly stock tips. Everyone compliments me on the new rolled 4" tips. A picture says a thousand words...
I completely agree with ya. I didn't like the looks of the stock tailpipes at all. Here is a pic of when my GT was sporting the Magnaflows. I don't have one yet with the magnapaks on it.
Old 12/15/04 | 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I too was looking to improve the looks of the rear of the 2005 Mustang. Stock exhaust tips just looked wimpy. The looks of the 4" stainless steel tips is what sold me on the MagnaFlow Axleback kit. I am a little concerned about the alignment problem though. My vehicle won't be produced until the week of 1/10/05. The set of AxleBacks I just received today only have 1 notch on the inlet pipes - probably in the wrong place. I will most likely have to add an additional notch - no big deal. Can anyone confirm this is the only modification necessary to correct the alignment problem?
Old 12/15/04 | 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I like the sound. Much more deep. I think it'll sound better at WOT than the stockers. It's just not raspy enough for my tastes though -- put an O/R x on that and call it good
Old 12/15/04 | 05:40 PM
GT Member

Based upon your video, I'm keeping my stock mufflers. Thanks.
Old 12/15/04 | 06:17 PM
I Have No Life

Originally posted by tmcolegr@December 15, 2004, 6:16 PM
I too was looking to improve the looks of the rear of the 2005 Mustang. Stock exhaust tips just looked wimpy. The looks of the 4" stainless steel tips is what sold me on the MagnaFlow Axleback kit. I am a little concerned about the alignment problem though. My vehicle won't be produced until the week of 1/10/05. The set of AxleBacks I just received today only have 1 notch on the inlet pipes - probably in the wrong place. I will most likely have to add an additional notch - no big deal. Can anyone confirm this is the only modification necessary to correct the alignment problem?
The notch should be the only issue you run into.
Old 12/15/04 | 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

For those with the stock MagnaFlow catback setup, does it drone at all during normal driving?
Old 12/15/04 | 09:15 PM
GT Member

I am really wanting to buy a stang sooner than later. WOuld someone PLEASE post a SOUND CLIP OF a Stang without mufflers and one with Bassani exhaust, PLEASE. I am impressed with the stock sound of the mufflers. I am holding out to buy a SE Stang. Hopefully the soon-to-be wife will let me have a new stang
Old 12/16/04 | 05:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'd like to hear the Bassani as well. The link on the mods thread doesn't work.
Old 12/16/04 | 05:48 AM
GT Member

Check out the Steeda axle back system. Louder than MagnaFlows - quieter than MagnaPacks and Bassani. Much cleaner look because there are no visible muffler cans from the rear.
Old 12/16/04 | 06:14 AM
Bullitt Member

There's a guy I met a couple weeks ago with the Bassani kit (headers back) on his 05. If I run into him again I'll get a video clip for you guys to hear.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow axle-back kit is on