2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Looking to get a trailer for my 06GT.....

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/06, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing what went on around here last year for Katrina and seeing that hurricane season is almost here I want to get a trailer for my GT so I don't have to leave it. When we evac my wife takes her armada but I have to take a work truck because right after hurricanes my family business gets real busy (oil field supply).

So I found one that is 18' long with 15' of flat, 3' dove tail, and its 6'10" between the wheel wells with the ramps that slide in under the bed. Electronic brake on one axel I think he said and they are 1950.00 new. Will this be big enough for the GT and how does the price sound. I want to be able to tow it behind an armada....that should work right....I think that sucker can tow like 9k.
Old 5/2/06, 10:27 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOLAGT @ May 2, 2006, 9:46 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Seeing what went on around here last year for Katrina and seeing that hurricane season is almost here I want to get a trailer for my GT so I don't have to leave it. When we evac my wife takes her armada but I have to take a work truck because right after hurricanes my family business gets real busy (oil field supply).

So I found one that is 18' long with 15' of flat, 3' dove tail, and its 6'10" between the wheel wells with the ramps that slide in under the bed. Electronic brake on one axel I think he said and they are 1950.00 new. Will this be big enough for the GT and how does the price sound. I want to be able to tow it behind an armada....that should work right....I think that sucker can tow like 9k.
[/b][/quote]

GREAT idea, man.

Lemme check with my brother - my races all the time and has towed cars for years. In March we trailered my car to Orlando and Bradenton with a buddies borrow open trailer and it worked great. I will find out the specs.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 5/2/06, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks!! This one is an open trailer as well and I just need to fit my GT on it. I am thinking it should work...guy said its a car trailer....I just want to make sure before I drive an hour to buy it.
Old 5/2/06, 12:18 PM
V6 Member

Sounds about the same size as my car trailer and the price is right. The stang should fit on that with no problem at all.
Old 5/2/06, 01:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool...thanks. Might just have to pick this up...I really dont want to go through the hassle of ordering a new one and rebuying/installing the mods.
Old 5/2/06, 09:11 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
If it's made for a car the left fender should lift up out the way to be able to access the driver's door. Otherwise, plan on losing weight or crawling through the window.

Also there are trailer's out there that ift up at an angle and slide back to turn the whole bed into a ramp. Works like a roll back car hauler.
Old 5/3/06, 07:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ May 2, 2006, 10:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If it's made for a car the left fender should lift up out the way to be able to access the driver's door. Otherwise, plan on losing weight or crawling through the window.
[/b][/quote]

Hmmm good point about the left fender vs the car door. I didnt think about that really and I have not seen the trailer yet. Looks like I will have to make another phone call. Thanks!
Old 5/3/06, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Talked to them again...this one does NOT have any fender stuff like that. I asked about ones that do and he told me the alumn. trailers have fenders like that but they are more like 5k. This one is steel and is only 1950 and in my price range. I did ask if I could put a wench on the front of it and just pull the car on up and not worry about getting out of the car on the trailer. He said that would work and there was plenty of space to weld a wench on it to do so.

So how does that idea sound....a wench on the front to just pull the car onto the trailer. That would be good to incase the car was not about to start for whatever reason. But then what would I have to do to get the car off??

Is there easy access to tow hooks on the front of the GT...I never really looked for that under there before.

Thanks for the help yall [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 5/3/06, 01:29 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The trailer doesn't have to aluminum to have those fenders. Here's a crude drawing to explain what it does.
It doesn't have to have this feature to be able to haul a car, but it sure makes it easier. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Also, there are some that allow you to just pull the fender off.
Old 5/3/06, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe he didnt say it had to be alumn but maybe the one he could get was alumn and did that. I see what your talking about tho...I wonder if this one could be modded to do that after I get it?

I think I am going to have to go take a look when he gets one in.
Old 5/3/06, 03:21 PM
V6 Member

Guess I've never really paided much attention to the fender issue as I get it up on the trailer, get out and finish winching it in to place. You'd be suprised how many freinds you have after you buy a trailer. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] longest drive so far was when a friend bought a TR-7 in Bristol tenn. about 1300 miles one way.
Old 5/3/06, 03:44 PM
V6 Member

Don't put a wench on the trailer, you'd have to listen to her complain the whole way there. I might suggest a winch though.

Sorry, couldn't pass that up. Good luck with the trailer though.
Old 5/3/06, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] I already know about the friend thing. Where I work (family business) we have 3 f250's, f450 flatbed, one big flat bed trailer and a covered trailer. I have used them countless amounts of time to move, haul off, or pick up tons of stuff for me my friends and family. Its cool tho I dont mind it at all. Unless they live on the 3rd floor and own a fish tank hahahaha.

I think the wench thing might work if the fender cant be moved. I really like the price of this one...im just going to have to see it and think how it would work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(firststang @ May 3, 2006, 4:47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don't put a wench on the trailer, you'd have to listen to her complain the whole way there. I might suggest a winch though.

Sorry, couldn't pass that up. Good luck with the trailer though.
[/b][/quote]

DOH [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] Thank you...I cant spell as it is so I use spellchecker. That tends to mess me up like that sometimes [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]