2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Looking for cover for winter outdoor storage

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/09, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for cover for winter outdoor storage

I was able to buy another vehicle to drive this winter and raining days, but I won't be able to store the Mustang in the garage (don't ask, please). I'm looking for a durable cover that will protect the car over the winter. I'll still be driving the car on some dry days, but overall it will be sitting this winter, getting rained on, getting snowed on.. Car's going to be in my driveway and I'm not worried about the security aspect, just the protection from the elements.

Anyone heard or use a cover in this way before?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 9/28/09, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
check cj pony parts website (cjponyparts.com) for covers. i cant remember the exact name but dura-(something) comes to mind. i have had 3 of them and my uncle uses one for his 66. i had one on my 94 mustang for 2 winters and kept the car protected. you will have to strap it down if you have a lot of wind so you dont have paint rub but other than that the costs are under $100.
Old 9/28/09, 10:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
try www.carcapsule.com
Old 9/28/09, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mach1mania

That looks cool, but high winds and heavy snow are normal for Nebraska, plus the $700 is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I did find the covercraft weathershield HD cover which might do the trick.
Old 9/28/09, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Let me drive it here in sunny Las Vegas where its dry and not cold.

JK

Seriously though, Something that will withstand the winter my cost as much as a few months in a nice storage facility. My .02
Old 9/28/09, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by My Blue Heaven
That looks cool, but high winds and heavy snow are normal for Nebraska, plus the $700 is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I did find the covercraft weathershield HD cover which might do the trick.
I have the covercraft weathershield HP and it works for me. It's nice and thin, so easy to roll up and store when not in use. Plus, the one I have comes with a nice Mustang logo on the hood and MUSTANG written across the back end. Here's a quick pic:

Last edited by UMich97; 9/28/09 at 07:04 PM.
Old 9/29/09, 03:41 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
be careful- I had a cover on my 69 the winter I had the body off our 65 galaxie, no room inside...3 months it sat out, and the cover did more damage than the elements would have...was windy a lot, and it really beat up the paint...true the paint was like 40 yrs old and starting to check a little bit, but it really got the cowl/roof bad for some reason...if the cover was loose anywhere it was at the rear, and that part fared ok. looked to me like the cover was holding moisture in- like it soaked thru and froze to the paint maybe? dont recall the cover I had, but it was about 80 bucks, havent used it since...I HAD to keep the car covered outside as it had no engine in it, and building inspectors code said inoperables were OK as long as covered up...didnt want the city trying to hook it up

my 85 camaro sat in the lot at work uncovered the best part of 4 years (boss is a friend- didnt mind me leaving a couple cars there) and all I ever did was wax it a couple times a year, it suffered zero damage top or bottom...the cars in the garage on cement, or outside on cement had noticably more rust on undercarriage, where the camaro sitting on asphalt had NONE...I kinda think maybe cement 'breathes' moisture from the ground a bit where asphalt dont?

december my 06 will turn 4, has sat out 90% year round ( too many cars to get inside easily- only goes in if tstorms/hail possible...) paint is fine...I dont think snow or rain hurt much, just keep it waxed and most importantly keep the leaves off it...can plug drains and/or leave stains...I'll cover the ones inside, but not out unless necessary

Last edited by ford4v429; 9/29/09 at 03:47 PM.
Old 9/29/09, 05:34 PM
GT Member

I used the Covercraft Weathershield on the wifes 03 Mercury It fit like a glove but in high wind [we lived on top of a Maryland mountain]it would rub the paint on the fenders I could polish it out but stopped using it as soon as I noticed it rubbing.