2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Long waits and lack of planning at Ford

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/05, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would guess it would several billion or more to open another mustang plant or create a new assembly line. Could even be higher when you factor in their suppliers opening up new plants, and their suppliers, and so on. Id love to see it happen but it wont.
Old 6/3/05, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Webba@June 3, 2005, 1:36 PM
I would guess it would several billion or more to open another mustang plant or create a new assembly line. Could even be higher when you factor in their suppliers opening up new plants, and their suppliers, and so on. Id love to see it happen but it wont.

i would think they could have converted wixom, home of the LS and the Thunderbird---true they'd need tooling but at least the structure, logistics and resources would be in place---
Old 6/3/05, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Webba@June 3, 2005, 1:36 PM
To add to this, what will you do with all the employee that had to trained, and then retrained. Or even layed off because of lower demand. There's a lot to consider. Hirer more people just to blow them out later, that's just wrong.
Old 6/3/05, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree antdog but unfortunately that is the new American Way so I doubt they care about that. I think it is just matter of $$$ and if they decided to do it Monday they would be almost a year away from running a new line given tooling lead times, having specialized equipment made, etc. Seeing as how I am still c/u as of June 2nd Id love to see it happen but waiting is sooooo much fun!
Old 6/3/05, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

One thing they could do to help Cafe is to put 6 speeds in them instead of 5 speeds. Or they could just pay the fines.

BMW, Mercedes regularly pay cafe fines.
Old 6/3/05, 02:26 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by moc1976@June 3, 2005, 11:57 AM
No matter what you guys say, you can't convince me there's no way to make more GTs in a way that will still be profitable.

So go ahead and tell me how I'm wrong cause Ford couldn't know that there would be this much demand, and there's nothing they can do to build more in a profitable manner, but its all a bunch of BS if you ask me.
Well then the point is moot then now isn't it?

I would guess this thread will die very quickly then.....
Old 6/3/05, 05:42 PM
GT Member

There is obviously a much greater demand for the new Mustang than Ford might have anticipated. And since they are building at their own pace, demand will outpace supply. THAT is the reason the dealers can charge $2K-$5K markups. You can bet your buns that the dealers don't want Ford to increase the production too much. Some maybe, but not so much that supply starts to equal demand. That just means MSRP only for the dealer vice the big mark-ups.
My wait was just a bit over 3 months (see signature). And it took a month from build to delivery, with the biggest delay being leaving the plant after assembly. I think 12 weeks may be close to the average wait. I've seen shorter and longer waits, but I think those are more the exception, and mainly due to dealer allocation. One thing I think Ford definitely needs to fix is the allocation process. It should not matter how many Mustangs a particular dealer sold in a previous year if the dealer has taken an order from a customer. That is a SOLD order. The allocations should only apply to "dealer stock". Just my humble opinion.
Old 6/3/05, 06:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NuPony05@June 3, 2005, 5:45 PM
One thing I think Ford definitely needs to fix is the allocation process. It should not matter how many Mustangs a particular dealer sold in a previous year if the dealer has taken an order from a customer. That is a SOLD order. The allocations should only apply to "dealer stock". Just my humble opinion.
The problem with this is that now you will have every dealer slapping someone's name on their stock orders to get them built first. The only posible way I could see that working would be if te dealer submited proof of the sale to Ford, and that the sale was binding. otherwise, the dealers could just say the imaginary person whose name they put on the order backed out of the deal. The problem with this is that no person in their right mind is going to make a sale final before the car is even built yet. If people can't order directly from Ford, then the dealer allocation system is what we are stuck with.