2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Loaded 2005 GT Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/04, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everybody.

This is my first topic here on the site. I finally have something cool to share with the group.

First off, thanks to Brad and all involved for such a great site! I've been reading posts for over a year. I visit the site at least once a day. What a great community!

I had to order a new center cap for my 2000 GT Spring Edition from the my dealer, (Beach Ford in Virginia Beach), which flew off after a local tire shop repaired a flat tire I had. (I know I'm not alone in this out there.)

After a visit to the parts dept. I went up front because I heard that they had just gotten in a shipment of new Mustangs on Wed. and found a Black 2005 Mustang GT...loaded. Sticker: around $29,500, no additional mark-up. As I said it was loaded to the gills. Leather (light graphite), IUP, Mach 1000, side airbags, 17" Bright Machined Wheels, Automatic.

The salesman was great, no pressure, very helpful. I told him I was gonna wait for the SVT, but he offered a test drive anyway. Believe me, there were a lot of people checking it out. We put my 2 boys (5 & 3 yrs. old) in the back and we were gone.

Here is the cool part. As I said, I've been reading all the posts and magazine articles I could possibly get my hands on. I've followed the renderings, clay models, and Photo-chops. Nothing prepared me for the actual experience.

The car is UNBELIEVABLY refined...and powerful! It has lots more interior space than my 2000. True, the console is a bit more intrusive (ie. taller), but the gains in shoulder room and headroom (really) more than make up for it.

The interior is so different from the current model. The fit and finish were fantastic. The vents opened and closed smoothly. The gauges really have to be seen to be appreciated. At night they are amazing! Even the carpet looked better.

Performance. From the first tap on the gas pedal I could feel the difference! The engine is so smooth and refined, with an aggressive bark! 300 hp never felt so good! The car was totally composed over some pretty rough railroad tracks and pavement gaps. At highway speeds and around town, the 5 speed auto is a great choice. The extra gears really make a huge difference between the old car and the new.

Looks: The pictures, (and there have been some really great ones), do not do it justice! There is a nice, pronounced overhang on the hood over the grill that casts a great shadow, but not over the horse! By the way, the strange blocked openings in the grill that are discussed in another thread don't look that bad. Body panel gaps are tight! The only disappointing part of the exterior are the slightly narrower tires. Give me wider tires with a slight decrease in ride quality. They really need the width to be properly aggressive.

Last part. The new Mustang is a totally different car inside and out, (a few carryover parts not withstanding). If you have any reservations, forget about them. Live rear axle or no...this is a world class car. I have owned a 65 conv., a 67 coupe, a 68 conv., and I currently have an 88 conv. 5.0, and the 2000 I mentioned. I know my Mustangs...and on all levels...this is the best one yet.

I don't think I'll be able to wait for the SVT. Thanks Ford.
Old 10/21/04, 09:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah man, it looks so much better in person. i am going to take the wife and go back down to emporia and see if i can drive the torch red gt they have down there. the sticker was 27,400 5spd with red leather. didnt have the shaker 500 or 1000 if i remember correctly. man if they had a windveil blue there i might end up driving it home!