2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

little light specs on my black stang's hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/07, 12:35 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
little light specs on my black stang's hood?

i havent noticed this really before. is this something that a clay bar will fix. i also have a small scratch on hood i didnt notice when i boughtt he car a couple weeks ago. i have already done the meguires three step using the nxt wax. if i try the scratch x on it and then paint cleaner again then polish was will the stuff come out or should i get the CLAY BAR? is this the kind of stuff the clay bar takes out? please help!!
Old 11/17/07, 01:13 PM
GT Member

anyone?
Old 11/17/07, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Black to me is the best looking (non) color on a car when it's clean...for about five minutes! That being said I own three vehicles - car (gt), truck and motorcycle and all are black.

The little light specks: wanna know if your car needs claying? Rub your hand inside a sandwich Baggie on a freshly washed car pressing lightly, if you feel bumps it's time to clay.

Scratch: if you can't feel it with your fingernail then it's possible to repair in a few minutes (in a way). A light cut polish (Scatch X) followed by a swirl mark remover and polish then wax will go a long way in making it look better.
Old 11/17/07, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Also check out the sticky in car care on this forum, lots of good info. At the *very least* and especially since your car is new, use proper washing techniques. Avoid all car washes if you're serious about keeping up your black car. Use the two bucket wash method w/ grit gaurd(s) and a quality wash mitt. Use quality microfiber for drying/polish removal.

Xmas is around the corner, so forgo those presents you'll probably never use (a singing fish...gee I love that Aunt Mabel, it'll go in an honored spot) and ask santy for a randon orbit polisher - Porter Cable is the most used - and proper pads, you'll thank me for this. (santys bringing me a foam gun.)

go to autopia.org and read, read, read.

My wife thinks I'm obsessed w/ the amount of time I spend on detailing cars and she's prolly right.
Old 11/17/07, 02:53 PM
GT Member

thanks alot for the info and i will def. go check out autopia.org. i will start washing by hand but winter is around corner here in mo. that could be some of my problem. i think i will try clay bar though. the little specs on hood is bugging me then ill use my three step maguiars system after that. thanks alot for help.
Old 11/17/07, 04:05 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
post pics so we can see what you are talking about
Old 11/19/07, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The clay bar prob won't remove it if you can catch your fingernail on it. My experience with scratch x on a black car is not too good, it leaves minor scratches your best bet is to take it to the dealer and see if they will cover it under warranty. When my 06 came in it had a bad swirl in the paint and the dealer buffed it and polished the whole car and I did'nt notice it untill three weeks after I got it. If they won't your can always wetsand with 1500 2000 2500 and buff with perfect it. The black specs could be industrial fallout and I know for a fact thats covered under warranty cause there was a tsb issued for it.
Old 11/19/07, 03:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
I'd check to see if those specks are on the surface of the paint or if they're actually (and hope it ain't) something like stone chips. If they're just sitting on the surface, then the clay bar will get rid of them. I've removed everything from rail dust to autocross cone marks, asphault tar to paint overspray (on a lawnmower). it won't fix scratches or anything below the surface of the paint. I'd be E X T R E M E L Y careful about buffing the car yourself because it can be really easy to screw up (speaking from experience here). Whatever you do, good luck man.
Old 11/19/07, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

ANY type of detailing question u have will be answered on http://meguiarsonline.com/

o an the Porter cable 7424..........