2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Leather vs Cloth

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/05, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the look of leather, however my friend (he has a 350Z) keeps trying to persuade me to order an 05 Mustang with cloth instead. What did you guys go with and why?
It was a no brainer for me, went with leather.

The main reason I got the leather was because the cloth to me looked cheap. I also hated the logos, would have been nice to get some substantial feeling material with a basic pattern instead of the ponys. Understandibly others opinions will be different from mine and I can respect that. I'm just particularly picky.

I have never paid extra just to have leather seats before, didn't think it was justified, but after checking it out in person I knew I would not be happy with what they offered in cloth.

I do like the leather much better than I had anticipated. Much easier to keep it looking clean and as for the wear life, I would assume it is comparable to good cloth. I did not sit in a Mustang with cloth seats when looking to buy, I took one look and went to find one with leather. The seats feel great though, wish I had one in my living room for my TV chair. I also like how I can slide around a bit to get comfortable without the seat catching my clothes, and it's easier to slide in and out of.
Old 4/4/05, 11:52 AM
Cobra Member

I went back and forth on the cloth vs. leather. The new cloth looks like it will last for years, but I could feel the stitching in the cover through my dress pants, and I wasn't crazy about it. The cloth seats in the GT don't have the stitching recessed in ther perforations like the leather cover. For some reason, the stitching is on the top of the fabric. If your run your hands over cloth seats in a GT, you'll see what I'm talking about. The V6 cloth doesn't have this problem. Even though the leather is not high quality, I ordered it over cloth.
Old 4/4/05, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

You guys are the best I love the input everyone has here no matter what the topic!

I hope to make the order within the next week and start my journey into the world of being a Mustang owner.
Old 4/4/05, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

So what did you decide?
Old 4/4/05, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think leather looks classier, it stinks in the summer time compared to cloth because of the heat factor. It's is much better in the winter though because if you have heated seats you feel much warmer faster. The downside of leather is aging, cracking, etc. Cloth catches dust and I do not like the Mustang's cloth with the pony in the GT and Mustang on the V-6.

Matt
Old 4/4/05, 03:26 PM
GT Member

For all the same reasons given here, I picked the leather. And, leather will make the car hold it's value better, not lose value over cloth.

I've had leather in every car I've owned in the last 15 years. I can honestly say that none of them have ever cracked like I used to see in older cars with leather. I just think today's leather is better overall, either in the way they "tan" it, or the quality of the leather itself may be better.

The leather in the Mustang seems to be of a very durable variety. Any mass produced car out today states that leather is only on the seating surfaces. The back of the seats will be vinyl. The seating areas of the back seats look/feel like leather to me. I just detailed my 'Stang and actually treated them, so I got a close look/feel.

We get some nasty winters in the midwest. Not once have I thought that leater was any colder/warmer than cloth. Our summers get hot, too (but not AZ hot). I've never had an issue with leather seats being sweaty or too hot. I think this is a function of the cars with leather seats I've owned had little "breathe holes" so it doesn't get clammy.
Old 4/4/05, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by aponyfan@April 4, 2005, 2:11 PM
So what did you decide?
I'm going to go with leather and am thinking Dark Charcoal for the color. I currently have a light tan leather in my F-150 and think that I would like a dark color better. I want Sonic Blue for the exterior.
Old 4/4/05, 04:42 PM
GT Member

Leather rocks! Soft...easy to clean...looks nicers!