2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Leather vs Cloth

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/05, 02:25 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the leather; looks good, feels good, easy to take care of, and likely to add to future resell value.
Old 4/1/05, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

The pony cloth seats will be worth more for resale IMHO.
Old 4/1/05, 03:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by acadian+April 1, 2005, 2:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acadian @ April 1, 2005, 2:58 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Stangrob@April 1, 2005, 2:27 PM
I sat in a deluxe GT and just did not like the material. It honestly felt too much like plastic.

Rob
Are you sure that the plastic wrap from the factory wasn't still on the seats when you sat on it? I love the cloth. It feels great. Don't understand how you would think it feels like plastic. If anything leather would feel like plastic being colder and harder than cloth. Some leathers feel like vinyl to me, which is plastic.
[/b][/quote]

Acadian,

Yeah, I'm sure the plastic was off the seats

Maybe the problem is that the seats in my last GT were covered with a soft cloth material - kind of like a short velour for lack of a better description. If I remember correctly the material in the 2005 I sat in was some kind of woven material that felt very synthetic. Like I said, I was all ready to order cloth until I sat on it. I was kind of disappointed. I recently sat in a premium GT convertible and the leather seats in that car felt great. That helped me make up my mind.

One last point. I've sat in so many Mustangs over the past few months I wonder if it was a V6 car that had the cloth seats. I know they use a different material from the GT cloth seats. Maybe I'm just having brain farts...

Rob
Old 4/1/05, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by moc1976@April 1, 2005, 2:17 PM
Gotta get leather if you want RED, so it was easy for me.
RIGHT ON!
Old 4/1/05, 03:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The cloth is awesome....I mean awesome.
Very very happy. Little running mustangs everywhere!!

A buddy of mine said there is a difference in Ford leather and
Cadillac leather. Either way its just tooo hot down here.
Burns your legs. The pictures I saw of the dark charcoal interior
did not do it justice.

Old 4/1/05, 05:34 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to sit in both cloth and leather for the 6 or 8 and deceide what is right for you .If there is another family member involved check it out and both deceide what you want for the 2 of you .
If you go with cloth get the interior scotch guarded it will be well worth it .
Old 4/2/05, 08:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leather, with remote start no heat problem. B)
Old 4/2/05, 08:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I have been in leather cars for 10 years before the last one got stolen (thank goodness) and I got my little v6 Tbird with cloth.

I am one thankful man. Cloth in that car is the awesome. I run around town with the windows down and feel great.

Never again for leather. Not on a car *I* own.
Old 4/2/05, 08:51 AM
GT Member

My seats.... Enjoy!
Old 4/2/05, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Had 2 previous Mustangs. One cloth and one leather....easy choice for my 3rd Stang...Leather all the way!!!!!!!!!!! Tint the windows, put a cardboard sun blocker in the window when you park outside=no more hot seats......

Leather looks so much nicer and is so much easier to clean
Old 4/2/05, 10:02 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I've had cloth in my Probe GT for 4 years then moved to leather in the new stang. IMO, leather is the best option. Easy to clean, not that cold in the winter and I'll deal with the heat in the summer. But its sooo comfortable.
Old 4/2/05, 10:14 AM

Leather is cheaper to repair than cloth. If cloth gets a hole you have to replace the whole panel. With leather you can patch the hole and not know it. You can add leather to the whole car for $799... real leather too.

Cloth also stains easy. The yellow foam stains the cloth if it gets wet and soaks through.
Old 4/2/05, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Let's not forget the cloth is pain and suffering free, that counts for something.
Old 4/2/05, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Leather, leather, leather!!! Do not get cloth you will regret. All my cars in the past have been cloth. My Mustang is the 1st car with leather and I love it. I dont have to worry about spilling something or getting spots on it from the rain when you open the door. Yea they are hot during the summer but, its a matter od 5 minutes with the AC on and they cool down. They are much more comfortable as you can slide around in the position you wish without your shirt ending up over your neck if you had cloth. The other big thing is that it looks good. Lets face it, cloth looks cheap.
Old 4/4/05, 06:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My cloth doesnt look cheap and I dont regret getting it.
Old 4/4/05, 06:39 AM
Cobra Member

I LOVE my cloth seats!! I've had leather in other cars and it's been fine. Sit in both and see what you like the best. Takes me just a few min. to stink it off and your done. No cleaning and conditioning..... If ya drink or eat in your car just buy the scotch guard and do it yourself. Don't pay for it. Just see what you like the best, you can't go wrong either way.
Old 4/4/05, 07:51 AM
GT Member

We were on the fence when we ordered the GT. At first we ordered cloth, but we weren't solid on the choice... After returning to the dealer and testing in both cloth and leather we changed our order to leather. We didn't find that we were sliding around on the leather (when cornering at speed) and it was quite comfortable. The cloth was equally comfortable, but the leather won out.

Personally having tested both in the Mustang, and having owned both typed of upholstery, I think you can't really go wrong either way. Now that we've got the car we don't regret our leather decision at all.
Old 4/4/05, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here is another negative about cloth. It absorbes the smell when you let one slip (if you know what I mean) and eventually the seats smell permanently.
Old 4/4/05, 08:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally posted by fumaca+April 1, 2005, 3:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fumaca @ April 1, 2005, 3:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I got the leather; looks good, feels good, easy to take care of, and likely to add to future resell value.
[/b]

Originally posted by MustangDan@April 1, 2005, 3:50 PM
The pony cloth seats will be worth more for resale IMHO.

WHAT?!?!?!? You're going to sell your ponies?!?!?! :notnice: :bang:

<!--QuoteBegin-dtdebuty
@April 4, 2005, 8:16 AM
Here is another negative about cloth. It absorbes the smell when you let one slip (if you know what I mean) and eventually the seats smell permanently.
[/quote]

Febreeze, yo.
Old 4/4/05, 08:20 AM
GT Member

This is my first car with leather seats and I love them. I was planning to go all out on this Mustang all along. But what sealed the deal for me is when I saw what the cloth seats look like. Either the running pony pattern or the MUSTANG pattern. Both IMO are hideously tacky. My previous Mustangs cloth seats have always had very simple and subtle patterns, and that's the way it's got to be for me anyway.

Quick Reply: Leather vs Cloth