2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Leaking Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/05, 04:20 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to take an old jacket out of my trunk this evening and I noticed it was all wet.

The vert boot cover (which I have used once ) and the carpet were fairly wet as well.

I did wash the car yesterday (used raggtopp on the roof and it makes the top look MUCH better ) so the water probable came from that.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this with ther vert and if it is normal to expect this with a soft top. There must have been a fair amount of water as I washed it Saturday morning and since then it has been around 85F each all weekend. If this is normal, what precautions should I take to prevent mold growing on the carpet in the trunk?

TIA, David.
Old 10/9/05, 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I've never had a drop of water in the trunk, after several washings (all by hand so far). This doesn't sound normal by any means..

Did you check the rubber seal the whole way around the trunk??

Raggtop is great stuff it appears...does make it look better than new I've learned the following about using Raggtop so far:
It makes a mess on glass or your paint...so I do the top first, then clean the windows, then use quick detail spray on the paint last.

I've seen the Raggtop smear the rear window, so be sure it's dry before you put it down It's been humid here (NC), so it takes a lot longer to dry than expected!

Let us know what you figure out on the trunk leak! Get it fixed..something's not quite right.
Old 10/9/05, 07:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Mine is nice and dry. Hand washed multiple times, and lots and lots of rain the past few days.
Old 10/9/05, 08:00 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the replies all.

I had my bicycle in the trunk last week and I might have disturbed the seal a little. Great suggestion...
Old 10/10/05, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Aha! Yep, catching a bike wheel on the rubber might be the culprit.

Please let us know what ya find!
Old 3/3/06, 02:31 PM
GT Member

Experienced that this morning. Previously I posted about condensation on the ceiling of my trunk lid. That went away but now I have a new problem.
Last night there was a huge storm that came and drenched everything. I go out to my car this morning and open the trunk and the carpet of the trunk was soaked. Not damp, but soaked. Not to mention my backpack and books for school were soaked also. Now I am for sure there is a leak in the trunk lid. I am positive my trunk lid was closed because I remember closing it and locking my car and the horn sounded once. Not twice as it would if something was open. So I replicated that test later by closing my trunk but not all the way, I locked it and the horn beeped twice, so I know the trunk was closed. It did rain alot and now my books are soaked and notes for my classes are wet also. Also I think the condensation in my trunk a couple months ago, probably came from the leak. Now I have to call up the dealer and bring it in. Also would I have any chance of getting reimbursed for my books, since this is a problem that's covered under warranty. These books were expensive and I thought they would be safe in my trunk but Ford proved otherwise.
Old 4/29/06, 06:17 PM

I had the problem. As it turned out, they had to take off the top and weld a seem in the body where the top went into. That wasn't fun.