2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Lame convertible drivers

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/05, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At first I thought this was a stupid thread, but after reading all 3 pages, funny stuff. You know you are a Convertible Mustang Enthusiast when you....
I have to admit, I notice other vert drivers "configuration". If conditions are good and the top is up or windows up, I give them a look or say something under my breath.
If we didn't have T-storms or intense heat every day, I'd probably keep the top down and boot in all the time.
We drove on the highway one afternoon through some rain with the top down. We stayed dry by keeping speed over 75, only had a few drips off the corners of the windshield. We did put the windows up for part of the trip because it helped keep the drips out.
Here in Florida you sometimes have to put the top up because its too darn hot. I like the heat, but 93 and humid over pavment
Old 7/29/05, 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rrobello+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rrobello)</div><div class='quotemain'>Wasnt complaining if they want to be stupid let them, I was just voicing my oppinion I am sorry that you dont like it and that it got your panties in a bunch.
[/b]
Look at the amount you've written, then you might want to check your panties for bunching.
<!--QuoteBegin-rrobello

Sorry I was just having fun because this thread is riduclous....sheesh doesnt anyone on here have a sense of humor, or did the dealer forget to put the stick up my butt when I bought the 05 stang, I guess I got lucky no stick and no price rape.
[/quote]Oh please. You ranted, someone called you on it, and now you come back with the timeless classic, "It's just a joke people!" You're doing the same thing even in this last post.

At least own up to it.
Old 7/29/05, 09:02 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Brad, can we get a new subforum for 05 owners to argue with each other in so that every thread doesn't go to crap?
Old 7/29/05, 09:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is fun, funny, really serious,
Interesting, Informational, 4 pages long,
opinionated, Educational and Not Serious!

let her Rip
:crazy:
Old 7/30/05, 12:31 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally posted by DiamondBlue@July 29, 2005, 9:01 PM
Oh please. You ranted, someone called you on it, and now you come back with the timeless classic, "It's just a joke people!" You're doing the same thing even in this last post.

At least own up to it.
If you notice my "RANT" was in response to Surfn's post and we are friends and sometimes just give each other crap, especially since we have identical cars, with the exception that mines clean and faster, so it WAS just a joke and done light heartedly, so go ahead and call me on it since you are so smart and have fun not using that several thousand dollar option.
Old 7/30/05, 04:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

I still chuckle when I think of the word "aquarium." That was classic!
Old 7/31/05, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Flyinlow@July 27, 2005, 7:34 PM
Why is it that everyone drives around in a convertible with the top down and the windows up? Number 1, it looks stupid as heck, especially when I see new Mustangs driving around and I know when you hit the top down button it lowers the windows. Even when it was 95 and humid as heck here, I saw convertibles with the top down and all the windows up. Today was 78 and sunny out, no reason to have the windows up with the top down. I saw a guy driving a new Mustang today with the top down, windows up and he was bald, so no excuses about "the hair".

They could have saved some money and bought a coupe and put in a sunroof.

if you lived in a cooler climate, you'd understand why sometimes we do----
Old 7/31/05, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by rrobello@July 29, 2005, 2:34 PM
thats just stupid!
That's because YOU can't...
Old 7/31/05, 07:44 PM
Cobra Member

I sometimes put the top down and left the windows up when it was cold in wintertime. I got the vert experience and stayed warm as well. I really don't care what anybody else thinks of me when I'm driving.
Old 7/31/05, 08:22 PM
GT Member

Why spend all of this energy worrying about what other people are doing with their windows (vert or otherwise). I mean, how does it affect you? We need to attack real serious mustang issues here and this is just nonsense. Now let's move on to the next serious topic... OK ALL?

Now...

How about those people with convertibles who drive with the top HALF up? Now those people are STUPID.
Old 7/31/05, 09:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

This thread doesn't seem to want to die.

DanteMO:
How about those people with convertibles who drive with the top HALF up? Now those people are STUPID.

YaBut; if You are going with the wind it could really improve
your Gas mileage!
Old 7/31/05, 09:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ok, so here's my 2 cents worth. I drive my 93 convertible on the freeway/interstate with windows up as it's a little quieter. They come down as soon as I exit. And in stop-and-go when it's hot I use the A/C and I use the heater when it's cold which occurs more so at night. As a last resort for occupant comfort I put the top up, or if it starts to rain hard or snow...
Old 8/1/05, 11:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Sedona run

Oh Oh
Old 8/1/05, 09:32 PM

As a Minnesotan, where the warm weather season is MUCH too short, my wife, daughter, and I have come up with a saying for those perfect sunny days. Rather than saying, "What great weather we're having today!" we say "It's a convertible kind of day!" In fact, I'm currently lobbying our state legislator to enact a law that says I can confiscate a convertible from anyone who is driving it with the top up on a "convertible kind of day." Of course, in a few short weeks, that will no longer be a factor as I'll finally have a convertible of my own, but I still think it's a worthy public service worth pursuing!

Originally posted by tx_pony@July 29, 2005, 6:13 AM
As the current owner of two convertible Mustangs and the previous owner of multiple other convertibles, I consider myself an expert on the proper use and even the etiquette of driving a convertible. What you may not realize is that there are certain ‘rules’ for window use when driving a convertible.

When driving with the top down at speeds over 80 mph, the windows should always be up. There’s just too much wind to be comfortable. Plus, I have lost several hats with the windows down at those speeds.

When driving on highways with posted speeds over 55 mph, window use is optional depending on the temperature. And also on whether your wife is riding with you!

At speeds less than 50 mph on highways and city streets, the windows should be down. Unless driving through some “bad†neighborhoods were you would want the windows up and the doors locked.

In Houston we only have two seasons – “summer†and “not summerâ€. But in other areas of the country where there are real seasons, it is permissible to operate either the heater or the airconditioner with the top down during the transition from one season to another.

Of course the windows should always be operated in pairs. (Unlike you coupe drivers who are often seen driving with only one window down. How lame is that?) It is permissible to drive for short periods with both front windows down and both back windows up. Except in the case of my older Mustang, the rear window switches operate only intermittently and sometimes the back windows won’t go down.

Of course, these rules can be varied somewhat depending on the age of the driver. Senior citizens are not expected to follow these rules.

I notice that you have a 2006 GT convertible on order. Congratulations, I know you will enjoy it. However, you will be expected to follow these established rules. We’ll be watching.
Old 8/1/05, 10:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by DanteMO@July 31, 2005, 9:25 PM

OK, I wasn't going to reply to this pointless thread but this comment really gets my goat. It takes 12 seconds to put the top up. Here in north-central Texas, it can rain with little warning. Typically you get about 6 seconds of notice before the deluge hits. Now obviously with it taking 12 seconds to put the top up and only 6 seconds of warning, anyone can do the math and determine you will get 6 seconds of solid downpour in your car before the top finally closes. Unacceptable. The solution should be obvious to anyone with half a brain, drive with the top in the half up position. When you get your 6 seconds of warning, you buckle up that top without getting a drop of rain in your ride. Don't go around judging people with their tops in the half up position until you get all your facts straight.

Old 8/1/05, 10:15 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 8/2/05, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dusty1@July 30, 2005, 4:21 AM
I still chuckle when I think of the word "aquarium." That was classic!

LOL Me too Mark... AQUARIUM... that really was a classic.
Old 8/2/05, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Patience@July 31, 2005, 7:22 PM
if you lived in a cooler climate, you'd understand why sometimes we do----
I don't know where you live, but I live in Minnesota. It doesn't get much cooler. I also lived in North Dakota most of my life.

I have to laugh, I never thought this thread would get this much response, I thought there would be a couple responses and then it would die.
Old 8/2/05, 02:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Flyinlow@August 2, 2005, 10:12 AM
I don't know where you live, but I live in Minnesota. It doesn't get much cooler. I also lived in North Dakota most of my life.
We were driving through Lake Louise, AB, Canada late August last year and a fellow member had his top down when we encountered a not all too unusual snowstorm. He continued to forge ahead despite the mini ski jump that was slowly building on his tonneau cover! I believe he had his windows rolled up for a short while!!
Old 8/2/05, 02:14 PM
Cobra Member

DIE FOUL THREAD! DIE!!!