2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Lame convertible drivers

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/05, 07:27 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by tx_pony+July 29, 2005, 8:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tx_pony @ July 29, 2005, 8:13 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Of course the windows should always be operated in pairs. (Unlike you coupe drivers who are often seen driving with only one window down. How lame is that?). [/b]

How does that make any sense at all? Coupe drivers can do whatever they'd like because the car they bought doesn't scream "SUMMER FUN". plus, in a hardtop, you often can't see the other side of the car to know if that window is also up or down - but a convertible it is VERY evident. the whole POINT of a convertible is to get some 'wind in your hair' fun and leaving the windows up defeats this purpose and makes the driver look totally lame.

so much cooler:

For the record, I drove in this car, with the TOP DOWN AND WINDOWS DOWN for 14 hours, on the HIGHWAY, on the way down the the modular shootout. I didn't die from hair whipping in my eyes. It's called hair clips, bobby pins and hats.

<!--QuoteBegin-tx_pony
@July 29, 2005, 8:13 AM
It is permissible to drive for short periods with both front windows down and both back windows up. [/quote]

that, my friend, is even LAMER then all windows up. talk about '92 Lebaron look. YIKES.

Flame on people - this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Sure, you bought the car and you can drive around with pink fluffy seat covers for all you want, but that doesn't make you any less lame looking.

Kristina
Old 7/29/05, 07:30 AM
GT Member

Holy crap... I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this!

Funny how you know a thread is pointless but you just HAVE to read on. lol. I say verts, drive your car however you want. Just don't drive slow in the left lane! The puts on the cellphone infront of me who was leaving a 5 carlength gap in rushhour traffic really made me angry. :bang:
Old 7/29/05, 07:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Lighten up, people. How can anybody be taking ANY of this thread seriously. We'll drive our convertibles the way we're comfortable with at the moment, thank you.
Old 7/29/05, 07:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

I hate when people drive with the windows up. But then again if I should only comment if I drive a vert as well.
Old 7/29/05, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

I really didn't mean to cause any harm, I truly didn't think this would be a big deal. It was really meant as tongue in cheek humor, nothing more.

I do have a convertible ordered and you will not see me driving it with the top down and the windows up. If its that hot or cold out, the top will be up. If its windy, so be it, I'm used to it.

Now if the wife is driving it and she has the top down, windows up thats another story. But she knows my stance on it. In fact, she's the one who recently pointed it out to me, thats why I started thinking about it.
Old 7/29/05, 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by jimh90sc@July 28, 2005, 6:55 AM
aquarium

It does look odd IMO, but I never had a vert, don't know what is more enjoyable - windows up or down.... but to each his own.
Old 7/29/05, 10:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Acutally, I have owned a 96 vert and a 2000 vert. And here in SoCal, on cold (60 lol) mornings in the winter...the most fun thing to do if drive in your convertible with the windows up...and the heater on your feet.

I am laughing that it seems to bug you guys so much when that is such a norm out here. having the windows up keeps the heat in and allows you to hear cell phone conversations.

why not just put the top up? Well, would you roll your windows down but leave the top up? You may answer to keep the sun off of you...and still let air in.

Well, its the same thing but in reverse. To let the wind in and have the convertible feel...but keep the heat in.
Old 7/29/05, 10:35 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 05silverGT@July 29, 2005, 9:33 AM
Holy crap... I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this!

me too!
Old 7/29/05, 12:19 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@July 29, 2005, 10:26 AM
Acutally, I have owned a 96 vert and a 2000 vert. And here in SoCal, on cold (60 lol) mornings in the winter...the most fun thing to do if drive in your convertible with the windows up...and the heater on your feet.

I am laughing that it seems to bug you guys so much when that is such a norm out here. having the windows up keeps the heat in and allows you to hear cell phone conversations.

why not just put the top up? Well, would you roll your windows down but leave the top up? You may answer to keep the sun off of you...and still let air in.

Well, its the same thing but in reverse. To let the wind in and have the convertible feel...but keep the heat in.
I have to disagree here....I know its the norm out here to have vert and drive around always with the top up (way dumb unless its raining) or with it down and the windows up and heater on, but this is just plain stupid, sorry, why bother putting the top down if your going to be cold???? I never got this, and I am shocked that you did it Surfn, I thought it was a chick thing, well buying a vert stang out here (or vert anything) seems to be a chick thing, but I've never seen a guy driving a vert with the top down and the windows up unless they have a female in the car with them, I have always contributed this to women haveing very wacky thermostats, they are always cold or too hot never comfortable, either that or they just like to complain....but either way what they do makes no sense....why balance out the cool air with a heater, then you might as well have left the top up to begin with, and then they do they ultimate in dumb moves and cover their hair with something because they dont want it getting messed up, now this doesnt make sense to spend the extra money on a vert when you never take advantage of its purpose, to feel the wind in your hair....if you just want to get sunburned get the glassback roof from CDC on this one.....when I had a convertible I hated that girls would get in my car and crank up the heat, it was scorching hot, now I hope Surfn that you dont blast the heat and I certainly hope that you never complained about your hair.....there is nothing I ever enjoyed more when I had a vert then driving in the early morning or at night with the top down to feel the nice cool wind blowing in your face, during the summer days the sun is way too hot and the air is warm (sometimes hot) to make it any fun, its like having a blow dryer blowing in your face, and in this case a coupe works better at keeping you cool because you get the air from outside with the windows down but arent baking from the sunlight beaming down on your skin....
Old 7/29/05, 12:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rrobello@July 29, 2005, 2:22 PM
why bother putting the top down if your going to be cold????
Because you can.
Old 7/29/05, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by DiamondBlue@July 29, 2005, 12:38 PM
Because you can.
thats just stupid!
Old 7/29/05, 01:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by DiamondBlue@July 29, 2005, 11:38 AM
Because you can.
exactly. that's my point. The only time the top on my car was up was when

1. it was parked
2. it was pouring rain (yes, driving with the top down in drizzle is fun)

It used to bug me when I saw vert owners with the top up. You paid extra for it....put it down!

Yes, I did blast the heater (or atleast have it on) with the top down. Keepin your feet warm and havin the wind through your air is an awesome feeling.

I only rarely kept the windows up...I have been thinking about it...and the only time I would roll up the windows was when I had a phone call. But I would drive arround with them down. OR, if I had someone else in the car I was talking to. But any other time all 4 windows were down.

Haven' any of you ever turned the heater on and rolled down your windows? Its the same thing. I don't see it as a chick thing...its more of a cool factor. Havin the top down...but still being warm.

heater on your feet and top down, cruisin on PCH to go surfing at 6am is the best feeling. especially on your way back when your feet are frozen.

Maybe you would have to have a vert to understand what I am talking about (not a dig at those that haven't btw!).
Old 7/29/05, 01:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

WHO CARES, people can do whatever the heck they want in their convertibles as far as I'm concerned. :scratch:

I used to take out an S2000 (parents)and turn the heat on, but I did have the windows down too. I guess I just did this cause I thought it looked weird with them up. Anyway, let this thread die
Old 7/29/05, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rrobello@July 29, 2005, 3:34 PM
thats just stupid!
Writing a long rant complaining about how someone chooses to use the convertible top and windows on their car is stupid.

Going topless on a cold day while still managing to stay comfortable by using the heat is very smart.
Old 7/29/05, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@July 29, 2005, 1:40 PM
Haven' any of you ever turned the heater on and rolled down your windows? Its the same thing. I don't see it as a chick thing...its more of a cool factor. Havin the top down...but still being warm.
No thats stupid!!!! Whats the point? If you want to be warm leave the top up. DUH!!!

And I use to have a vert (my first car) and I loved driving around in the morning and evenings with the top down, but I didnt put the windows up or turn on the heat, that would defeat the purpose of having the cool breeze blow on you.
Old 7/29/05, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by DiamondBlue@July 29, 2005, 2:50 PM
Writing a long rant complaining about how someone chooses to use the convertible top and windows on their car is stupid.

Going topless on a cold day while still managing to stay comfortable by using the heat is very smart.

Wasnt complaining if they want to be stupid let them, I was just voicing my oppinion I am sorry that you dont like it and that it got your panties in a bunch.

and going topless on a cold day when you are cold is STUPID, and even more STUPID to then turn on the heat and roll up the windows to counter the fact tha you put the top down to let the cold in to begin with....its like women who buy a very expensive nice low cut sleeveless top and wear it because its cute, then are cold and so they put on their jacket to get warm and you can no longer see the top....it defeats the purpose and therefore a waste of time and as I said before STUPID!!!!
Old 7/29/05, 04:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok, I understand your point and I will give you the window point....it is dumb.

but there is something fun about having the top down...and having the heat on your feet. Its the same thing if you wear a coat and beenie while driving with the top down.

Especially on a cool night...being able to see the stars....but still be warm. I don't think its stupid...

but as a wise mean once said "Well, we agree to disagree"

Old 7/29/05, 04:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rrobello@July 29, 2005, 4:54 PM
Wasnt complaining if they want to be stupid let them, I was just voicing my oppinion I am sorry that you dont like it and that it got your panties in a bunch.

and going topless on a cold day when you are cold is STUPID, and even more STUPID to then turn on the heat and roll up the windows to counter the fact tha you put the top down to let the cold in to begin with....its like women who buy a very expensive nice low cut sleeveless top and wear it because its cute, then are cold and so they put on their jacket to get warm and you can no longer see the top....it defeats the purpose and therefore a waste of time and as I said before STUPID!!!!
You know, I don't have a dog in this fight because I frankly don't care if people like what I do or don't do with a car that I purchased, but you are making yourself sound really small by calling everyone stupid four times in one post. An opinion is one thing, but insulting people is an entirely different thing.
Old 7/29/05, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@July 29, 2005, 5:00 PM
You know, I don't have a dog in this fight because I frankly don't care if people like what I do or don't do with a car that I purchased, but you are making yourself sound really small by calling everyone stupid four times in one post. An opinion is one thing, but insulting people is an entirely different thing.
Sorry I was just having fun because this thread is riduclous....sheesh doesnt anyone on here have a sense of humor, or did the dealer forget to put the stick up my butt when I bought the 05 stang, I guess I got lucky no stick and no price rape.
Old 7/29/05, 05:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

the stick was an option you had to order. You got every other option, Mr. Upgrade...how did you miss this one?

Quick Reply: Lame convertible drivers