2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Killed

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/07, 12:11 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again, I am sure they are decent performers.....

but that pic that guy has of the 64-65, 67, and the 06 GTO sitting next to eachother is literally PAINFUL to look at. Even from a revisionist stand-point, ya know the modern evolution vibe.....it's just laughable to me.

The front end is so round and lame, the hood looks like a transplant off a rental Grand-Am......about as aggressive as a Camry, the wheels look tiny, even when they are larger than stock for some reason, the rear quarters are very female looking humps, not even close to the pontoon styling of the 60's, and don't get me started on the Camry-meets-BMW rear. YUCK!

fast or not.....it's an egg. I see plenty of them, and I always have to do a double take to even see that it is a GTO. I usally think it's a Grand Am or Prix. They could have done so much with that car. They all talked smack at GM too, about no one being interested in "retro" styling......yeah, ok,....anyone seen the new Camaro? Looks just like the GTO huh?
Old 8/15/07, 12:14 PM
Cobra Member

I don't think the '06 GTO looks that bad... It does look dated though, because it's so rounded compared to everything else from 2006 (sharp edges are back!) . The '06 GTO would have looked great back in 1994.
Old 8/16/07, 10:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jonztang
Again, I am sure they are decent performers.....

but that pic that guy has of the 64-65, 67, and the 06 GTO sitting next to eachother is literally PAINFUL to look at. Even from a revisionist stand-point, ya know the modern evolution vibe.....it's just laughable to me.

The front end is so round and lame, the hood looks like a transplant off a rental Grand-Am......about as aggressive as a Camry, the wheels look tiny, even when they are larger than stock for some reason, the rear quarters are very female looking humps, not even close to the pontoon styling of the 60's, and don't get me started on the Camry-meets-BMW rear. YUCK!

fast or not.....it's an egg. I see plenty of them, and I always have to do a double take to even see that it is a GTO. I usally think it's a Grand Am or Prix. They could have done so much with that car. They all talked smack at GM too, about no one being interested in "retro" styling......yeah, ok,....anyone seen the new Camaro? Looks just like the GTO huh?
+1 on everything you just said. I usually have to look twice just to make sure what I am seeing is a GTO.

How about the new Camaro, it looks great! That is going to be a home run for GM/Camaro lovers.
Old 8/16/07, 11:33 AM
V6 Member

Jpro,

yeah,....it is going to be 1992 (Lt1) all over again, only this time with a Camaro that looks like it should, not like a big boat.
Gulp....

I've gotta say one thing about Chevy....they do no skrimp on power. It will be "fear the Z28" all over again, only worse. I just hope we don't see tons of them, because knowing the Chevy crowd, they will be looking to spank anyone who even flinches.
Old 8/16/07, 11:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TUNGSTALLION
Don't worry dude. I got smoked by a Mitsubishi Galant. I don't pick too many fights anymore. I couldn't believe the way he destroyed me. To make things worse, I got stuck at a light next to him and had to endure a very painful 30 to 60 seconds of his laughter.

I felt like a turd.
I wonder if it was a Gallant VR-4 (all-wheel drive, 2.0L turbo engine) with the boost turned up high. Those engines are stout and can easily putting out 300+ hp with the proper modifications.
Old 8/16/07, 02:18 PM

I got chewed up by one of those d#$%^ things a while back doing some 25mph corners at 50mph on a mountain road, and got passed by a B** ugly pontiac (i thought) grand -am, I got mad and followed as best i could but couldnt keep up.

then I found out it was a corvette LS2 6.0 Liter drag queen called a GTO....

Why would anyone buy those?....
Old 8/16/07, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My buddy has on 06 GTO and he let me drive it a few weeks back. Man those things are FAST. But we both agreed on one thing, my car may be missing 2 cylinders and 2 liters compared to his car, but mine just looks so much better and draws attention wherever we go. His car on the other hand, even being red with black rims, no one looks twice and seems to really care what he has under the hood since the car is ugly. Hes currently looking at trading it in, for geuss what...An 08 Mustang GT or an older(03-04) Mustang Cobra.
Old 8/16/07, 05:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Was GM trying to make it retro?
I mean they have brought back the impala, malibu and they look nothing like the elder.
Who ever said it was suppose to look retro?
Im not taking the GTO side, believe me, I think they are ugly.

side note:
I havent lost to one yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6CK-gMZdrE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmexCTMGYeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06HcF3OAGiY
Old 8/16/07, 06:59 PM
GT Member

I wouldn't feel too bad about losing to a modified 91 Galant VR4...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCw7Ifi8-Gg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLf34-n7HA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqUjY...related&search=
Old 8/16/07, 11:31 PM
Cobra Member

FWIW, I had the opportunity to uphold the Mustang flag ( ) recently vs a 6.0 GTO...wonder if he knew that my 302 stripes weren't just for looks...
Old 8/17/07, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by tacobellfiredept
So on the first full day with my new GT, me and my buddies decided to go to our favorite restaurant Mt. Fuji and make an appearance at the ny renaissance fair. Along the way we were admiring the stingers I had put on yesterday,about an hour after I got the car, when we spotted a 05 Blue GTO. We got matched up at a red light and I got the feeling he wanted to race, he was staring directly at me and revving the engine. We took off and I got about 1/2 a length on him, then suddenly i was looking at his rear. My firend was disappointed but brought up a good point. My car may be one day as fast as his, but his car will never look as good as mine
Your so right, how many people have you heard saying "Wow thats one cool looking GTO"
Old 8/17/07, 09:01 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Audioi
Your so right, how many people have you heard saying "Wow thats one cool looking GTO"
ZERO!!!!!!!!!

Mostly I hear "Is that a GTO or a jelly bean?!?!?!"
Old 8/17/07, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't think the GTO's looks are all that bad but, sure, GM could/should have done better in the looks department (I'd consider a GTO as as second car to my Mustang but as a second car, I'd really need something that seats 5). They got the HP right in 2005 and 2006. They might have done better with a brand new nameplate than trying to re-use the GTO title...

I think GM's lack of marketing dealt the GTO's death blow more than the looks. I don't think I even saw any adds for the GTO until late in 2005. Had they done a better job of marketing it, they would have had a good chance of a sucessfull restyling in 08 or 09. then again, that would compete with pending Camaro and GM has a record of thinning (or witholding power in) it's own herd to keep certain models in the spotlight.
Old 8/24/07, 03:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by S197 V6
my car may be missing 2 cylinders
You have a V6 ?

Ooops nevermind, just read your SN.

Oh wow, this post made me a Cobra ! lol.