2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Jerk hits my GT in parking lot!

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/05, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Ok, this is pretty mild compared to the bad things that have happened to some of our members but you will like the ending.

After being on the road all week, took the GT to WalMart with my wife. I parked all the way out on the end of the lot. Inside the lines but all alone. As we were walking out noticed that there were 2 men standing near the car. As we approached they said "Sorry buddy, some guy hit your car". Some kid in a gigantic F350 backed into my rear bumper. From the picture you can see the damage near the plate, busted light, trailer hitch tattoo on the left and the indentation line all the way across my bumper.

These guys saw the entire thing and got the license number. Get this, this punk leaves after hitting my car, moves over 3 rows, parks and goes in shopping! The witnesses were great! They were madder than I was! So mama calls the cops while I go over and stake out the truck. One of the witnesses said they came out of the store, saw me and went back in! I ain't big, but I went after them, couldn't find them. Yes, I was livid but in control.

Cop shows up and he was great too. He then staked out the car and told me to go home and he would take care of it. Kid finally came out, said he didn't know he hit it but finally confessed. He got a ticket which will put points on his record and a fine. Turns out truck belongs to his boss and he is now real anxious to pay for the damage! Not a chance. I'll be at the bosses business in the morning (cops gave me all the info) right after I get back from the Ford dealer with the estimate.

So not the end of the world but the bumper will need replaced. I will have it checked out very carefully and they are going to pay for all of this. Figured you would all get a kick out of how it turned out. My thanks to those 2 fine men who waited for me to come out to tell me what happened. Restores your faith in your fellow man. Thanks guys!

Old 4/28/05, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, that was cool. Sorry about the car.
Michael
Old 4/28/05, 06:15 PM
V6 Member

Sorry to hear about that. I can't believe someone would do that and then run into the store like it didn't happen. I hope he gets whats comming to him. It looks from the photo that there isn't much damage. I'm glad it's an easy fix.
Old 4/28/05, 06:19 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Someone backed into you w/ a hitch on the back of their truck. That's another reason for me to hate Wal-Mart. I'll get a repair cost for you when I'm done working. Easy replace and refinish your bumper cover.
Old 4/28/05, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys. Hey John, thanks, that would be great! I think that is all that was damaged. Wonder how long it will take for the cover to come in to my dealer? Don't want to be driving my pony for months with that A-holes brand on her rear!
Old 4/28/05, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hope the punk's boss is as honest as these cops and witnesses. Let us know how it goes, man! You were calmer than I would have been!
Old 4/28/05, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@April 28, 2005, 5:22 PM
Someone backed into you w/ a hitch on the back of their truck. That's another reason for me to hate Wal-Mart. I'll get a repair cost for you when I'm done working. Easy replace and refinish your bumper cover.
I think there is more to it than the pic. He said busted tail light too.
Old 4/28/05, 06:47 PM
GT Member

The proverbial "rubbing salt in the wound" is the fact that the guy still stuck around and went shopping. OMG! I don't know if I could have remained as calm and under control as you did. Good job on that. Also, best of luck and a speedy recovery for your 'Stang
Old 4/28/05, 06:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Its wal-mart what do you expect.

I avoid that place at all costs its all fat soccer moms in SUV's too big for them and rednecks that take the diesel dually in to town for a milk run and cant park it.
Old 4/28/05, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear that, could have been much worse though. As far a parts go, my dealer was able to get most of the front end for my wounded Mustang in less than 5 days. The hood is taking about 2 weeks, but overall no shortage of parts.
Old 4/28/05, 07:12 PM
I lust for a M24

Bumper cover is $210 and license lamp is $11. With an overhaul, and paint, the job total will be about $550. Make 'em pay. That is an awesome ending to your story, I'd give the witness a $20 gift certificate to Applebee's. That was cool of them to care enough to stick around, must've been car guys too. Good luck with your repairs and the trip to the boss.
Old 4/28/05, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

The busted light is actually the license plate light, so not a big deal. I surprised myself at how calm I was. Guess because I knew we had him cold and the damage was confined to the bumper cover. Also the witnesses just blew me away, bending over backwards to help me. Probably being a bit vindictive by refusing to deal with this kid and going to his boss. That may end up costing him his job. Ask me if I care. If he would have stayed or left me a note it would have been a different story.
Old 4/28/05, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

glad to hear the little punk got a ticket.... my rear bumper was hit by a semi (no ticket), got the bumper replaced (outta my pocket, still "working" with the trucking company on reimbursement) got my car back from the body shop to be hit (rear bumper) again by some kid in a company van (minimal damage, no ticket given AGAIN).

Make sure that the body shop paints your new bumper BEFORE they put it on your car. The first body shop that I went to painted the new bumper ON the car and it looked like &%$#. There were lots of rough edges where they had taped it off. After I was hit the 2nd time, I took the car to another shop and they removed the bumper and painted it OFF the car...WHAT a difference that made in the paint job! Good luck to you.
Old 4/28/05, 07:19 PM
I lust for a M24

leesi's right about taking it off. That's what the overhaul is for. The good news is that you shouldn't be without your car for more than a few hours. A good shop will let you stop buy, order the parts, get the paint code, shoot the new bumper when it comes in, and then just call you to swap them out. Other than the paint, it's a 2 hour job.
Old 4/28/05, 07:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member Retired

Drew: So sorry to see what happened to you. Kudos for keeping your cool; you're a better man than a lot of us here. They'll fix you right up, I'm sure. Please keep us posted.

Bummer, man. :angry:
Old 4/28/05, 07:59 PM
Cobra Member

You are lucky dude, most people here in MI would not get involed to began with. And the Police will not come to a parking lot unless there is a personal injury. Michigan is a 'No-fault" State, you cover your own vehicle. That would simply be a "hit and run" if you have "broad form collison" or as in your case, your car was parked. Your insurance would cover your complete damage at $O cost to you.
Old 4/28/05, 08:09 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drew, sorry to hear about you car. Kudos to those guys that caught the jerk that tried to run away.
Old 4/28/05, 09:34 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Glad its worked out ... its amazing ...people just wont own up to their mistakes...
Old 4/29/05, 08:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

I can't believe the kid hit it, moved and parked, and then went in shopping. What an idiot, he's either really dumb or didn't really want to get away with it. I'll vote - really dumb.

Wal-Mart is evil, don't shop there! It attracts idiots like this kid.
Old 4/29/05, 09:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Shows you there are some really good people out there Good luck getting it fixed I am going through the same thing right now :bang:

Quick Reply: Jerk hits my GT in parking lot!