2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Interior Trim Restore

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/17, 08:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interior Trim Restore

So my dash I guess the previous owner got hit on the passenger side in between the fender and the door because the bottom is bent in and the dash was cheaply patched with bindi and spray painted black which looks nasty and I plan on replacing this but I have noticed, people say that the dash is one piece, the part that is damaged is the black section above the glove door and below the passenger airbag, on eBay I seen dash assemblies and noticed some that that piece was removed so could I just replace it?
also the ac vents, they are nasty and all worn and scratched, has anyone repainted them silver because the chrome trim is good, but the silver looks bad, I was maybe thinking of repainting it krylon 1403 dull aluminum, also the silver aluminum dash trim (airbag, center panel above the radio, gauge surrounding, and ac vent surroundings, I like how they look from a distance but when I look closely, I don’t like the lines, it may not bother some but since I’m gonna be repainting some trim, I might as well ask and see if anyone has painted these pieces as well, I don’t want to do wrap. I am also debating on painting the inside of my trunk windveil blue to match the exterior as I took out the nasty carpet piece covering the spare wheel and noticed a lot of the paint is faded, scratched or has primer, or maybe was thinking of painting it a nice charcoal pearl or Bedliner, weight doesn’t bother me plus it barely adds that much
Old 12/30/17, 09:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Wolf, I'm not sure about how the dash made, but I assume the metal frame is all one peace. The vent surrounds are available at some of the vendor sites here if you decide to go that route. Of course painting is the cheaper way to go, and should look just fine.
Old 12/30/17, 02:15 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for your input, I found some dash assemblies cheap on offerup but honestly don’t want to take the whole dash apart so maybe I may just buy it and hold on to it till the summer comes, and I ended ordering some paint last night and should be coming in sometime this upcoming week so hope to make my interior a bit good looking
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (12/30/17)
Old 12/30/17, 06:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Wolf Mxbee
Thanks for your input, I found some dash assemblies cheap on offerup but honestly don’t want to take the whole dash apart so maybe I may just buy it and hold on to it till the summer comes, and I ended ordering some paint last night and should be coming in sometime this upcoming week so hope to make my interior a bit good looking
It sounds like you have quite a project car on your hands my friend. I bought mine a project to keep me out of the wife's hair, but after I got all the maintenance items done the cars been so good I have to make up things to do.

Here's another site to keep a check on for parts. They have been redoing it, and should have it back up again soon. They have very reasonable prices.

http://www.newtakeoff.com/

Last edited by wanted33; 12/30/17 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12/31/17, 04:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
It sounds like you have quite a project car on your hands my friend. I bought mine a project to keep me out of the wife's hair, but after I got all the maintenance items done the cars been so good I have to make up things to do.

Here's another site to keep a check on for parts. They have been redoing it, and should have it back up again soon. They have very reasonable prices.

http://www.newtakeoff.com/
Thanks for the site, finding parts cheap for our cars are hard to come by, for a simple trunk release is $45 and I can buy everything to make the same thing for $5, but I guess they save you the hassle and I have a lot of goals for this car but making it run right is my top priority before looks... besides the inside, I’m looking at getting a 2010 Alcantara Steering Wheel, ambient lighting center Console, GT/CS foot rest and paint it in Bedliner to not have as much shiny interior pieces and maybe some recaro’s or sparcos, etc. but gonna clean up the trim and see what I can salvage, do you know if I end up painting my trim, all the black peeling and fading pieces with black spray paint, would it match? Or if anyone has done it with excellent results cause it’ll save me a lot of money just to restore my original pieces
Old 1/1/18, 12:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Wolf, I don't know if the colors will match. You could test the match by spraying some paint on a scrape piece then hold 'er up to the other black pieces. BTW, I think I would go with flat, or a matte black.
Old 1/1/18, 12:50 PM
V6 Member

Wolf, I don't know if the colors will match. You could test the match by spraying some paint on a scrape piece then hold 'er up to the other black pieces. BTW, I think I would go with flat, or a matte black.
Yea that’s what I started thinking, I’m just worried about like in the past for example if a spray paint on plastic gets old or left in heat it tends to wipe off as a sticky residue so any tips? I know if you hold a heat gun to a old interior price that’s grey, black, etc. the heat will bring back all the old color especially works best if it was originally color dyed but mine is peeling so that’s out of the question, I may just paint the little access door in the center Console to test since I’ll be replacing that soon
Old 1/1/18, 01:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Before you paint use some 0000 steel wool, or fine sandpaper to lightly rough up the surface you are painting. Then use a good primer, and the paint should stay on for a long time. The key is to use a good brand of primer, and paint. For the black plastic trim pieces you can use some Mother's Back to Black trim restorer, or similar quality brand should work. It will need some re-coating from time to time.

It's all worked for me in the past.
Old 1/1/18, 02:03 PM
V6 Member

Before you paint use some 0000 steel wool, or fine sandpaper to lightly rough up the surface you are painting. Then use a good primer, and the paint should stay on for a long time. The key is to use a good brand of primer, and paint. For the black plastic trim pieces you can use some Mother's Back to Black trim restorer, or similar quality brand should work. It will need some re-coating from time to time.

It's all worked for me in the past.
Thanks, hoping it’ll turn out great, I’ll do more research and see what company and what paint will look closest to the OEM black and will use the primer from the same company to get better results as I know some spray paints don’t work well with different chemicals in some primers
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (1/1/18)
Old 1/2/18, 01:41 AM
V6 Member

This is my dash that i was talking about????
Old 1/2/18, 06:42 AM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I did a color change 5yrs ago from gray to black. I have a replacement black dash, I pulled from a salvage yard. But decided not to put it in until when, and if I ever had to pull the dash for a heater core.The mustang dash is no picnic plus I am getting older.
Looking at your pic it appears they really laid on the paint and the lifting caused by not prepping the panel correctly. Now the paint I used is from Valspar Chalkboard 68007 paint. It is for metal, wood and plastic so you won't have to use an adhesion promoter . It matches the panel so good you can't tell the difference. I can't stress enough that the surface has to be absolutely clean and only spray LIGHT COAT.
Almost forgot I got the paint at Lowes home improvement

Last edited by hobojack; 1/2/18 at 06:43 AM.
Old 1/2/18, 06:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Yikes thats a bad repair job somebody did. if it were me, I'd say there's no saving that lower part of the dash.

For the A/C trim rings, how deeply are they scratched? Down to the plastic? If you take a superfine steel wool or scotchbrite pad and lightly scuff the surface, you might be able to get a nice brushed aluminum look to them. You've gotta be really really light with the pressure though. They're vacuum metalized, so there's a micro-thin layer of aluminum that gives them that chrome look. It wouldn't take much to go right through it.

Originally Posted by hobojack
I did a color change 5yrs ago from gray to black. I have a replacement black dash, I pulled from a salvage yard. But decided not to put it in until when, and if I ever had to pull the dash for a heater core.The mustang dash is no picnic plus I am getting older.
Looking at your pic it appears they really laid on the paint and the lifting caused by not prepping the panel correctly. Now the paint I used is from Valspar Chalkboard 68007 paint. It is for metal, wood and plastic so you won't have to use an adhesion promoter . It matches the panel so good you can't tell the difference. I can't stress enough that the surface has to be absolutely clean and only spray LIGHT COAT.
Almost forgot I got the paint at Lowes home improvement
It could've been from the last owner armor-all'ing the dash. When that stuff soaks into plastic it'd be pretty hard for anything to stick, regardless of how much they prepped it. I bought a GT500 bumper that I had painted up like the GT/CS and the paint shop warned me that if the P.O. armor-all'd it a lot, even if they did their best, the paint might still lift. For light armor-all jobs, they said use solvent and even a heat gun (carefully) to sweat the oils out.
Old 1/2/18, 07:55 PM
V6 Member

I ended up sanding and painting my A/C vents yesterday with a ford factory color from autozone and looks mint, I will like to add to anyone that uses acetone as a grease remover and cleaner, I put small coats and two of the vents came out really decent but then there were two that that acetone started to deteriorate the old paint and started cracking and lifting the old layers so I had to wait a while for them to air out and sand down the cracks which is why in my “Build thread” it’s shown that only two are really excellent and two are poorly painted do to what I had to work with, all in all I plan on replacing the vents later down the road for new ones, just wanted to clean up and look way better then before and for the dash, I’ll just find one for a deal for now and hold on to it until I get time to do the swap, I’m only a high school student and I have owned 4 cars since the age of 14 so I plan on keeping this mustang for quite a while and one thing I will say is that by the end of this year this interior will be mint

Last edited by Wolf Mxbee; 1/6/18 at 10:45 PM.
Old 1/3/18, 04:24 AM
V6 Member

Can anyone identify this dash wrap kit

This is the interior trim wrap I've been trying to work off and i like how it looks better then the oem but very subtle in my opinion without those weird lines on the dash trim

Old 1/6/18, 10:47 PM
V6 Member

I will be posting my how to’s on interior in this thread to keep my Build Thread clean and simple, I will make separate threads to show how to’s such as this one, this thread will only be for interior restore projects.

(01/01/17)
- Got bored today and didn't want to wait for silver spray paint to show up so went to Autozone, bought some Ford Silver and also had some primer laying around and ITS A PERFECT MATCH to the OEM.
- (1) Dupli-Color Color Match Ford Silver Metallic (1E) - $8.99 Autozone
- (1) Rust-oleum Self Etching Primer - $4.09 Walmart
  • Before - I Apologize, I Have Misplaced The Before of The Original Interior With The Vents Closed So Here's a Few Old and Current Pics

• After -

Steps:
1.​​​​​ ​​Stick Fingers Inside of the Vents and Use Your Thumbs To Push Against The Dash (Outside Surrounding the Chrome Ring) To Pull The Vents Out.

2. Once The Vents Are Out, Simply Use a Flat Head Screwdriver or Your Nails Like I Did and Pull The 4 Plastic Tabs Holding In The Chrome Ring.

3. Now You Can Remove The Center Vents From The Plastic Black Housing. The Center Vent (Silver / Black), Make Sure To Open It and Grab The Top or Bottom and Pull To One Side Then Out Towards You, It Will Have Two Little Dimples (Nipples or Clips) and Then It Will Be As Simple As Sliding The Other side Out.

4. Remove The Side Tabs Inside The A/C Vent Housing With a Little Clip, and The Two Side Pieces Come Out. Optional - You Can Remove The Arm That Attaches The Two: Top and Bottom,Together.

5. Start Cleaning Each Piece With Soap and Water, 3-4 Times Will Be Good To Get Stubborn Grimes Off.

6. Start Sanding The Pieces To Adhere Properly (I Sanded All The Way Through To The Plastic To Not Affect Fitment Due To Adding More Layers of Paint).

7. Clean With Alcohol or, In My Case I Used Acetone

8. Spray a Coat of Primer, Since I Sanded All The Way Down, Spray 2-3 Coats of Primer

9. Soak The Silver Metallic or Paint Can of Your Choice In Warm Water To Get Better Result and Start Laying Down The First Coat Thin (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GET FULL COVERAGE ON FIRST COAT!) Then Wait 10 Mins Between Coats In Warm/Room Temp Conditions. If Painting In Cold Conditions, WAIT 30 Mins Between Coats, I Made The Mistake of Rushing Doing 10 Min Coats and Two To Three Pieces Started To Crack And Wrinkle From Previous Coat Not Fully Curing.

10. The Final Result - Let It Dry For Over 2 Hours and Assemble Back Together, For Better Results, Let Dry Over Night and Wipe Down With Polish and Microfiber Towel (I Didn't But Have In Other Projects).

This Vent Was Messed Up Due To The Fact That It Was Cold And That I Didn't Let It Cure Long Enough Before Applying Another Coat