2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I'm sure this has been asked many times before.

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/07 | 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

During the initial miles, the engine wil wear/break off small honing imperfections etc, and there will be metal particles in your oil. The filter should catch all the larger ones, but the smallest will still be floating around, as a post above stated. Just good insurance to change that oil out and remove that metal with is.
Old 9/14/07 | 02:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just follow the directions in the manual.
Old 9/14/07 | 02:52 PM
GT Member

Im going by the three month rule. I bought my car on July 5th and changeing the oil on October 5th. I will probably have around 1500-1600 miles on the clock by then.
Old 9/14/07 | 06:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by buffguy
why are some of you guys changing the oil so early? ex, 500, 1500? Is it better for the car for the first oil change or something?
why are they changing oil at 3000 or even 5k on mobil one. I think because they like to waste money and time. If ford said its good for 5k I would be willing to bet its good for about 8k miles. Spend a few bucks and have your oil tested at 3k or even 5k miles. I will bet it still has a long way to go and still be more than save to drive on. Then you would have a few more bucks for wax or beer or some thing else
Old 9/14/07 | 08:11 PM

Mr Clean, why the negative comment about Royal Purple. I've read that's excellent synthetic oil.
Old 9/14/07 | 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
A lady from the service department at the dealership says 5,000 miles.
That lady doesn't make your car payment. The factory fill is a break-in oil. I did oil analysis for everything from the start (www.beauchampengineering.net) and I can tell you that you should do your first at 500mi.

The car will take about 5K miles to "break-in", but the metal frag in there from machining and assembly is in there, so no need to push it. You will see a drop off in oil performance around 2500 miles, but the oil will still be "good" well after 5K miles.

When using oil analysis the important number is TBN. You engine builds alkaline material (acid) when thermal breakdown and ingestion of debris occurs. Your TBN on the Motorcraft 5W20 is around 7.8. As time goes on the number falls. Usually I see between 5.8 and 6.2 at 5K miles. A TBN of 2.0 is bad news. So in theory the oil is good for about 8K miles, but any debris that comes into the system (silica sand, moisture, particulate) will continue to recirculate and possible clog or damage other components.

If I could change my oil every day I would, but reality is it's a mess, not eco-friendly, and expensive. Do the first one at 500. Do the second at 2500 and then go on with the 5K factory recommended interval and you will be fine.
Old 9/15/07 | 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
why are they changing oil at 3000 or even 5k on mobil one. I think because they like to waste money and time. If ford said its good for 5k I would be willing to bet its good for about 8k miles. Spend a few bucks and have your oil tested at 3k or even 5k miles. I will bet it still has a long way to go and still be more than save to drive on. Then you would have a few more bucks for wax or beer or some thing else
Saving money is not an issue for me, that is why I put Mobil1 in my car @ 1,600 and only use 93 octane. My car runs smoother because of this, It also feels quicker, stronger and generally happy.

You wouldn't eat McDonalds and drink soda everyday so why not feed your car the best? It will respond very positively and last longer. We spent to much on these cars not to put the absolute best fluids into it!
Old 9/15/07 | 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by carnutny
Mr Clean, why the negative comment about Royal Purple. I've read that's excellent synthetic oil.
I heard from a couple of mechanics that RP is excellent in the tranny and rear end, but that in the engine M1 is preferrable...and I can't remembver the excat reason...something to do with detergents or something. I do recall that when I switched to RP from the Fomoco stuff that came from the factory, I swore it felt like I got a few HP in the process...
Old 9/16/07 | 12:54 PM

I recently read a review of leading premium oils written up in an Australian car magazine and they rated RP over everything else. In fact, the Mobil 1 semi synthetic performed better than Mobil 1 all synthetic. I was shocked since I've been using M1 for years in everything I own including the snow blower. I do some more study on this Royal Purple.

here is some feedback

http://www.royalpurple.com/techrp/summary.html
Old 9/16/07 | 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I did my first oil change at 3,000 miles and have continued on a 3 month/3,000 mile interval, but then again I have a maintenence contract with the dealership so I will continue to bring it in every 3 months/3,000 miles until the contract runs out (in about 2 years). After that, I will go to a 4 month schedule since my '06 is a weekend cruiser/fairweather kind of vehicle and doesn't get much mileage put on her now a days (she's barely over 15,000 miles at this point). My '03 is currently on a 3,000 mile interval but will go up to a 4,000 mile interval at next oil change and after that, every 5,000 miles. As I didn't have the maintenence records of the '03, I treated it as if it was a new vehicle maintenence wise.

I think every 3 or 5 thousand miles and you should be fine. If Ford list in the manual every 5,000 miles I'm pretty sure they have their reasons. Changing at every 500, 1500, 2500 and then every 5,000 seems excessive. If I did that when I first got my '06, my car would have stayed in the maintenence bay of my local Ford dealership.
Old 9/16/07 | 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by carnutny
I recently read a review of leading premium oils written up in an Australian car magazine and they rated RP over everything else. In fact, the Mobil 1 semi synthetic performed better than Mobil 1 all synthetic. I was shocked since I've been using M1 for years in everything I own including the snow blower. I do some more study on this Royal Purple.

here is some feedback

http://www.royalpurple.com/techrp/summary.html
Old 9/17/07 | 06:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bored out
Saving money is not an issue for me, that is why I put Mobil1 in my car @ 1,600 and only use 93 octane. My car runs smoother because of this, It also feels quicker, stronger and generally happy.

You wouldn't eat McDonalds and drink soda everyday so why not feed your car the best? It will respond very positively and last longer. We spent to much on these cars not to put the absolute best fluids into it!
I am saying feed your car the best just, no need to change your mobil one so often after your first change. Its a waste.

edited
Old 9/17/07 | 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think the issue with short intervals at the begining was avoiding the metal particles that break/wear off in the intial few thousand miles of an engine's operation...
Old 9/17/07 | 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by MrClean
I think the issue with short intervals at the begining was avoiding the metal particles that break/wear off in the intial few thousand miles of an engine's operation...
Old 9/19/07 | 07:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
??
Old 9/19/07 | 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by MrClean
??
There was some disagreement about whether or not it was good practice to get an oil change before the "Ford recommended 5000 miles." I was just agreeing with you.

My bad if that's not what that icon is typically used for.. (I'm a forum noob )
Old 9/20/07 | 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
There was some disagreement about whether or not it was good practice to get an oil change before the "Ford recommended 5000 miles." I was just agreeing with you.

My bad if that's not what that icon is typically used for.. (I'm a forum noob )
No problem dude! I was just wondering what the smiley meant! on this subject...like anything else, everyone has an opinion. The stealership Svc Mgr agreed with doing it early...he said the engines used to run a different oil initially, which aided in the break in procedure, but that nowadays the oil in the crank when you buy it is regular oil. certainly, I think a consensus can be reached on that there isn't a negative effect (on the engine) by changing the oil early...
Old 10/22/07 | 10:15 PM
GT Member

Hi Guys, Newbie to the forum but an oldie to the topic..

I've run Mobiil 1 in all my cars for the last 10 years now but only after the engine was broken in. I still remember when running a synthetic in a new engine was a no-no because your rings wouldn't wear in and never seat. So regular oil right up front then by 5K I'll switch over to synthetic.

That said, I'd never extend a synthetic oil past the recommended interval. While it's been proven that the oil itself holds up well past the change interval the additives don't. No motor oil is pure lubricant even synthetics. So best bet is to change it at the interval recommended.

Works for me and I traded my 148K 96 Camaro for my 08 GT. Never had a major mechanical problem with it either and I live in central AZ. Heat and Dust are the norm here as anyone out here can tell you.