2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I'm going to Shelby American tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/04, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am planning to do so regardless. But by just putting stripes on does not a Shelby make (CLONE SHELBY). I am looking for the total package. Handling, power, and looks inside and out. Emblems, wheels, interior trim, colors, the Le Mans stripes, rocker stripes will be the correct width per Shelby model year I will go after. That is if the real Shelby is out of my price range.
Old 11/17/04, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Considering the old Shelbys were all about weight savings and being nearly race-ready, are the new ones going to have a similar build strategy? Fiberglass bodies (or c/f), minimal amenities, minimal interiors, that sort of thing?

Also, everyone talks about "great handling" and all that. Sure, in back in the day, they handled a lot better, but the reduced weight would do that naturally. But did they do anything major to the suspenion geometry/make up?

I guess my point is, if Shelby is going to do the "standard" tuner thing by swaping an engine, upgrading some of the suspension parts (springs, shocks, sways, bushings), adding a exterior body kit and a few interior pieces, then I just can't see them getting $100k.

Now, c/f body work, hand built/blueprinted engines, custom re-engineered suspension systems, severely reduced weight, better weight distribution, etc. Then, I guess I could see that.

Only time will tell what they do, I guess.

BTW, I am assuming there is no new information, just speculation, right?
Old 11/18/04, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

FYI, they did change the front suspension geometry in the early Shelbys...but I have got to agree with you, if this is the price ($100k)- no freaking way.
Old 11/18/04, 11:07 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cant wait to see the car.
Old 11/19/04, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I'm back, and my trip couldn't have been more of a failure, as far as Shelby Mustang info is concerned. I had expected more of a museum with plenty of merchandise, etc., but it was more of a small showroom displaying the new Cobras that Shelby is creating (not that that wasn't incredibly cool to see). They had 6 or 8 of them, some polished without paint (read WOW), three Shelby Mustangs, a Ford GT (40) prototype, a Series 1 prototype and finished model, and a few T-shirts and model cars. A great time, but not exactly an afternoon killer. Very few employees were visible, the tour was ONLY at 10:30 am (couldn't make it), and since I obviously didn't look like I could affort a new Cobra, no one seemed interested in talking to me, either. Got a T-shirt and some nice pictures which my internet connection will not let me upload. :angry: Also got a brochure, too. New Cobras go for only $42, 500, and they're made the same way the originals were made, and registered by Shelby American. Engines/Transmissions are extra. Check out www.shelbyautos.com. Sorry for the lack of info. I had a good time, but was very disappointed.