2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my car is totaled!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/08, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svopaul
Input from someone who does crash repair.....
They are most likely going to total it.....but BE WARNED...you have State Farm and they suck...period. I used to be a State Farm customer and will tell you from experience that "Like a bad neighbor, they'll rob your house while your not home"....meaning be prepared for them to not want to give you a thing.
Maybe you'll find it reassuring that I had a much better experience with State Farm when I crashed my 06. First of all they covered the accident even though it happened at an HPDE event at the local road course (in the rain - stupid me for driving in the rain).

I did not try to claim the aftermarket parts in the settlement - it was only lightly modded with the FRPP handling pack, Steeda SS brake lines, and a C&L racer CAI. The CAI I took off the wrecked car but the rest I just ate.

But they did total the car out and I thought the settlement was fair. The check I got from State Farm was only about $1k less than I paid for the car brand new, and it was more than a year old when I wrecked it - of course the settlement also included reimbursement for sales tax which probably was the main reason the payout was so close to the new value of the car.

Anyway as others have said the imporant thing is nobody got hurt. Good luck with the insurance outcome!

Kevin.
Old 2/25/08, 02:55 PM
V6 Member

The good thing is that you are ok. Hope it all works out for the best. It sad to see all the nice mustangs that have been in accidents.
Old 2/25/08, 03:18 PM
GT Member

This thread is terrible! It hurts to look at all these pics. Well, as long as eveyone is ok and insured, things could be worse. It makes you realize you just have to be carefull out there, things can change in a matter of seconds. It is nice to see these pictures and hear everyone is all right, way to go Ford on making the Mustang safe.
Old 2/25/08, 03:45 PM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by frodaddi
Maybe you'll find it reassuring that I had a much better experience with State Farm when I crashed my 06. First of all they covered the accident even though it happened at an HPDE event at the local road course (in the rain - stupid me for driving in the rain).

I did not try to claim the aftermarket parts in the settlement - it was only lightly modded with the FRPP handling pack, Steeda SS brake lines, and a C&L racer CAI. The CAI I took off the wrecked car but the rest I just ate.

But they did total the car out and I thought the settlement was fair. The check I got from State Farm was only about $1k less than I paid for the car brand new, and it was more than a year old when I wrecked it - of course the settlement also included reimbursement for sales tax which probably was the main reason the payout was so close to the new value of the car.

Anyway as others have said the imporant thing is nobody got hurt. Good luck with the insurance outcome!

Kevin.
You are in the minority and VERY lucky they covered it and I am very surprised they did not drop you afterwards. I've seen track accidents covered but the insured dropped immediately aftewards before. I have also seen track related accidents declined....I'd bet that the adjuster didn't put into official company notes that you were participating in such an event...otherwise they surely would have either jacked the rates through the roof or dropped you.

It is also possible that you got a good adjuster that was sympathetic to you.....I have seen one or two(although they are quite rare) of those over the years but they usually don't last in the business....no fault of their own, they just don't like the job & company policies and move on to something else.
Old 2/25/08, 03:49 PM

I hate to see these wrecked stangs too. Your car protected you and that is a cause to PRIDE in the strength of your car. The bad side is - hope they total (I'm sure they will - enough damage - convertables total easire to begin with) and if they don't - do not buy it back ! It will never be the same. You will put in too much money before you find out that it isn't the same - then you'll east that expense too ! Get a new one - that's what you pay so much money for insurance for ! SORRY - I REALY AM !
Old 2/25/08, 04:04 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by HazardSports
- do not buy it back ! It will never be the same. You will put in too much money before you find out that it isn't the same - then you'll east that expense too !

That's not necessarily true.....it all depends on the quality of the repair. There are a lot of hacks out there and very few places that do quality work...but they are out there. I have a few customers that would disagree with you that it isn't the same...it can be done as long as you get someone to do it that cares about the end result
Old 2/25/08, 04:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't have anything contructive to add, but just wanted to say thank goodness you're alright....... sorry about the car but glad to hear you're OK.
Old 2/25/08, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by newbreedgt05
I could see that if the suspension would be damaged, but it doesn't look like it is. All the door gaps seem to be in line also. I don't know. This car's like my baby. I've done all the work on it myself and probably have about $15,000 in mods. I don't believe the insurance will cover any of the mods and will only pay me the depreciated value of the car. It's an 05, so it probably won't be that much and won't be anywhere near what I put into it. Buying the car back and transferring the mods then parting the car out might be an option, but I don't have anywhere to store the car while I'm disassembling it. I just feel horrible.
Hey, cheer up your safe and sound ! We all have emotional attachments to our cars and most of us really feel for you. Its part of being "car crazy" Just take it one step at a time and see where it all leads. As bad as it seams there could well be some unforseen good that`s invisible yet.
Have a face to face talk with your insurance would be a good start to see where you stand with them, If you have documentation on upgrades there should be some coverage. If its not totalled do you know a trustworthy body shop ?
Again, All The Best
Old 2/26/08, 12:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I am glad that you are okay. I feel for your car since something just happened to my car at the beginning of this month and its still in the body shop. My brother hit a curb @ 50 MPH and nailed the driver side front and took out the front A arm and bent the K member. So far there is no frame damage and they are replacing the engine cradle. I am very fortunate to know the manager of the Fritts Ford body shop by my house. He is a family friend and does great work. I only hope that if your car isn't totaled that you know someone that can take care of your car during the repair phase. Again glad that your car kept you safe and that you walked away with minor injuries.
Old 2/26/08, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I know of a very good shop by my house that has done some work for me before. I'm going to let them look over it and tell me what they think. I should have a decision today on whether or not the car is totaled.
Old 2/26/08, 08:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

It's amazing how cars can get totaled if they happen to hit something just right. For example check out the pics of my car. Does it look totaled to any of you ? No, but it was. The frame and flooring was buckled and bent. Insurance comapny said it would never be right so they totaled it.

The driver's side looked brand new. I think they estimated that at over $13k in damage.
Old 2/26/08, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow they totaled $13k worth of damage. My 05 had $12500 and they refused to total it (State Farm BTW). i was lucky no frame damage so i am still driving her and no problems two years after the accident but wow. Sorry for all of you that have had the accidents. Glad everyone is ok.
Old 2/26/08, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
It's amazing how cars can get totaled if they happen to hit something just right. For example check out the pics of my car. Does it look totaled to any of you ? No, but it was. The frame and flooring was buckled and bent. Insurance comapny said it would never be right so they totaled it.

The driver's side looked brand new. I think they estimated that at over $13k in damage.

Wow! That doesn't look as bad as mine. What happened?
Old 2/26/08, 01:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by newbreedgt05
Wow! That doesn't look as bad as mine. What happened?
January 14, I was getting on the Interstate. Looked in my mirrors to find an opening in traffic, looked back in front of me and the cars on the On-Ramp had come to a complete stop

Instead of locking up the brakes and hopefully not hitting them, I accelerated into the opening I had just found and then merged to the center lane. As soon as I got into the center lane, for some reason (didn't floor it, and wasn't hot rodding) the car lost traction. I kept the car from hitting anyone else but I couldn't keep it out of the concrete retaining wall.

I was fine and walked away , but I lost the Stang
Old 2/26/08, 02:01 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

glad you're ok... now i must grieve for the car:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooo

hope you will be back in another stang soon; looking through some of these pics in this thread makes me cringe... i hope y'all got everything taken care of after these unfortunate accidents and that everyone is alright
Old 2/26/08, 02:17 PM
GT Member

Sowwys about your stang...glad your ok
Mine was totaled on me within 2 weeks of just getting her. I was hit in the fender as well and it buckled the frame in so many places it wasnt worth fixing. Thats the worse place to get hit. Yeah im sure they could fix my mustang but it would never be the same. I missed it so much I wish I would have told them to fix it but they knew I wanted it totaled out and they agreed with it so they did. I regret it as I miss her, but it was for the better....not as safe anymore or be the same.

Have they taken the fender off to see the real damage to the frame yet, have you seen it?

Either way I hope your happy in the end

Heres a pic of my fender hit...

Want to see the rest of my totaled photos here is the link to them...
http://gotstang.com/profile.php?stangchick4life#jump
Old 2/26/08, 02:33 PM
GT Member

Ok...Ive read enough about state farm so want to stick up for them lol

Yeah I pay alittle more for insurance from state farm but i know they have my back if something happens... I didnt have gap protection FOR THE FIRST TIME and my car was totaled lol Makes sense! They paid my car loan off and I still had over $2,000 to call my own.

I'd be scared of geico they don't like to own up and pay out...my family has been hit with people with geco and they are such a hassle.
Old 2/26/08, 02:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Ms.Saleen

Yeah I pay alittle more for insurance from state farm but i know they have my back if something happens... I didnt have gap protection FOR THE FIRST TIME and my car was totaled lol Makes sense! They paid my car loan off and I still had over $2,000 to call my own.

I'd be scared of geico they don't like to own up and pay out...my family has been hit with people with geco and they are such a hassle.
I have Progressive. I wrecked my car on a Friday and had a check in hand on Tuesday.

I was well ahead on my car, so I didn't need the GAP insurance. Since there was no GAP to cover they gave me $1k off the purchase of a new car. (GAP Insurance was through my CU, not Progressive BTW)
Old 2/26/08, 06:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

You walked away unharmed after hitting black ice going 50mph, most folks wind up in the ER. The car can be replaced you can't be.
You might want to rethink running Nitto's if your going to be doing ANY driving with the potential of ice/snow. Good Luck & God Bless.
Old 2/27/08, 07:24 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Ms.Saleen

That is good that you had a good experience and State Farm has gotten better since they lost the lawsuit against them for using inferior replacement parts....however they still leave a lot to be desired.

I deal with all the insurance companies because I am the shop fixing the cars....so I see things from a different perspective than most. My own insurance is Allstate....cheaper than State Farm(I am a former State Farm customer) and they have always been very good to me for both auto and home insurance.

I have had no trouble with Geico when repairing a car, Progressive has also been good to my customers. State Farm has been good at repairing a car but I have seen 3 times now when it comes to totalling a car they don't want to give anything initially and they have to be fought over the value of the car. Alpha has also been good from a repair aspect. The low end companies that take those who cannot get insurance from the main companies though can be a pain....they don't want to pay for anything and the estimates are usually incorrect requiring a lot of supplements.

Quick Reply: I think my car is totaled!!!!!!!