2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I think my car is totaled!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/08, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
The front clip and bags alone wouldn't total it, but with the rear damage, it may push it over the edge.

I've got a little rule for hits like this - "When in doubt, total it out." Less headaches for everyone. Good luck.

Most insurance policies cover $1000 in aftermarket equipment, depending on company and state.

I'm hoping the rear damage won't be the deciding factor. I also hope that the insurance adjuster just doesn't glance at the car and call it totaled. I should find out early this week.
Old 2/24/08, 09:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad to hear you're OK. That is really a shame about your Mustang. Those are some painful pictures. I prefer the pics you posted in the Show off your Lowered Mustang with 20's ! thread.
Old 2/24/08, 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tispco
Glad to hear you're OK. That is really a shame about your Mustang. Those are some painful pictures. I prefer the pics you posted in the Show off your Lowered Mustang with 20's ! thread.

Me too!! Almost makes me cry just looking at those. It's amazing how fast things can change in a second. I thought I was dreaming the moment after it happened.
Old 2/24/08, 11:12 PM
GT Member

how terrible, all you guys, im sorry
Old 2/24/08, 11:24 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Well, at least you're okay man. Cars can be replaced, people cant. If it's not totalled, you gotta call it "the phoenix". Unfortunately it looks like it very well might be, best of luck, and do keep us informed.
Old 2/25/08, 02:30 AM
Cobra R Member

holy crap dude. Glad you're ok. I totalled mine in Dec. Also a single vehicle crash, but in the rain. Looks like this car saved both our lives. Looks like a total to me, but I'm no expert. Good luck.
Old 2/25/08, 05:06 AM
MSP
Banned

The car is not totaled.. You can look at the door jams and understand its just superficial..

They will fix it right up for about $12,000-$14,000..

Check out the door jams around the car.. Everything else is replaceable..

All the door jams have straight lines.. Your keeping that car..

My old Saleen Mustang looked much worse than that, and it got fixed..

Now you and your car have a history.. Thats all! Your keeping it! You wrecked it, you keep it! Glad your ok!
Old 2/25/08, 05:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
hard to believe you were only going 50. Hope everything turns out alright for you.
Old 2/25/08, 06:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really sorry to see that. Glad you are ok. I did not mention that a tree fell on my car and dented the roof, bunch of scratches all over front, etc and broke the glass last week. There was a GT/CS hit front with the airbags blown and the dealer said the airbags are $10,000 alone. Hope you can work it out.
Attached Images   
Old 2/25/08, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

i cant help but think about the original gone in 60 seconds when he hits the pole in the SAME spot...glad your ok, car looks like a loss IMO i would buy it back for 10% take upgrades you can off it, part out the rest and maybe make some money back for a the next one
Originally Posted by newbreedgt05
I think some of the pictures make it look worse than it is. The bottom radiator support is barely bent. The radiator and the front bumper supports are in really bad shape. The back quarter panel looks like it could replaced easily. The part that worries me, is the front driver's side fender that hit the pole. The driver's door still opens easily and I think I'm lucky that it didn't pop the glass.

Old 2/25/08, 06:39 AM
Bullitt Member

i forgot to say, if its not totaled, now would be your chance to do any paintwork if you know the body guy well enough
Old 2/25/08, 07:20 AM
V6 Member

Hope all turns out well for you. Id be very upset if my baby got hurt like that. Good thing ur alive and kickin!
Old 2/25/08, 07:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hope it works out for the best. Glad you walked away from the accident. Pictures are worth a thousand words and in this case there not all good.
Old 2/25/08, 08:20 AM
Service Manager

Received 440 Likes on 217 Posts
Input from someone who does crash repair.....

The front end is pushed over toward the driver side....can't tell how much but by the hit I can tell you it is.

They are most likely going to total it.....but BE WARNED...you have State Farm and they suck...period. I used to be a State Farm customer and will tell you from experience that "Like a bad neighbor, they'll rob your house while your not home"....meaning be prepared for them to not want to give you a thing.

Advice:

Gather EVERY receipt you have.....get ones you have lost, whatever but make sure you have documentation of everything you have done to that car. That doesn't mean they will give it to you but it supports your argument.

This one is VERY important...remember to NEVER immediately accept their offer.....it is just that...and "OFFER" and you do not HAVE to take it. Remember their job is to pay out as LITTLE as possible!!! So they are going to offer you as little as they think they can get away with!

This is going to be a back and forth deal but I can also tell you from experience that you can negotiate with them and get more than they will initially offer.

The total of the car depends on cost of repairs vs. value of the car....if the cost of repairs meets or exceeds 75% of the value of the car then it will total.....if you show them the car is worth more than it takes more to total it. At this point it would have helped you given the amount of mods you did if you had an appraisal of the car with those mods.

Just remember....do not commit to ANYTHING without telling them you want to think it over first....take your time and think it over and then decide what you want to do. MOST people just take the insurance companies first offer and they only end up short changing themselves. I've helped quite a few people battle insurance companies to get what they deserve and they always come out better than if they had just accepted that original offer.

Also remember IF they fix it...they are going to push you toward one of their "prefferred" shops....telling you that it's guaranteed for life, etc, etc, etc....this is all COMPLETE B.S.! The ONLY reason they are wanting you to use a "preferred shop" is because they have an agreement with that shop that in exchange for sending them the business, that shop will use aftermarket parts, agree to a lower labor rate and do whatever they can to save THE INSURANCE COMPANY money...not YOU...with means that YOU the customer are not the first priority of that shop....the insurance company is. You can send your car to ANY shop YOU choose and the majority of shops will stand behind their work anyway...so that arguement about a "prefferred or pro shop" is not something unique to them....it's just a ploy to get you to go there. Bottom line is that it is YOUR car and you can have whoever YOU want fix it...
Old 2/25/08, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

+1 Exactly what SVOpaul said.

On a personal note my previous car had a small impact with a guard rail only going 30mph. The roads were super slick, First rain in several months.

Anyway, the front frame was bent 3/4 of an inch to the left. It was super easy for the shop to fix the damage. BUT, all of the components that got bolted back on never felt as solid as they used to. See, thats the rub with body shops. They are great at fixing body panels and such but they really aren't any good at telling if suspension pieces are wacked or if the ABS unit is any good. They generally just do the body work and farm out the tricky stuff to a dealership or service shop.

ASK the body shop who they use to rebuild the mechanical bits of your Mustang. Pretty much any shop will get the body looking great again but not all of them will get the mechanical components back to factory spec!
I'd highly recommend finding a FORD dealership who has their own on-site body shop. That way you know that they are familiar with your Mustang and can bolt it all back together the right way.

Your best friend will be RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH! Ask lots of questions, Be VERY nosey. If a shop blows you off move to the next shop.
Old 2/25/08, 10:36 AM
Cobra Member

That's pretty bad. Good luck. Makes me want to insure all my mods right now.
Old 2/25/08, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by newbreedgt05
Well, I never thought this would happen to me. Friday night, only about a block away from my house, going about 50 mph in a 45. Went to switch lanes, and the back tires hit a small patch of ice that I didn't see. Car slid for about 100 feet across the street, jumped a curb slammed into a brick wall and then spun and took out a light pole. I'm perfectly fine and only have a slight burn on my wrist from the airbag. The paramedics couldn't believe that I wasn't hurt a lot more. I guess it says a lot about the safety of these cars. I could've been hurt really bad, so I think I was pretty lucky. This was the first accident that I've been in, and I hope I never have to go through anything like that again. Just glad nobody else got hurt.

I've been told that the car is fixable and won't be totaled. I'm becoming less confident that it can be fixed, the more that I look at it. What do you guys think? The front suspension seems to be fine, although both front rims are broken. The sideskirt on the driver's side is the only broken one, but they'll probably have to buy the whole exhaust system from cervinis to get it. I've got so much money in this car and a lot of the stuff can't be removed. Even if it's borderline, and they total it, I'm still going to buy it back and fix it up. I have full coverage with State Farm.

The car was supposed to be in storage. I only took it out since it was supposed to be around 40 degrees this weekend. Just sucks that I won't be able to drive it for several months. I even just bought a manual trans from our boys at Rehagen Racing that I was going to swap in place of the auto in a month or so.

The pictures are very graphic!

thank god ur not hurt.....if thts not a total loss...i dont know what is
Old 2/25/08, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's totaled for sure.

This is what $9000 worth of damage looks like (my baby):

Old 2/25/08, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by svopaul
Input from someone who does crash repair.....

The front end is pushed over toward the driver side....can't tell how much but by the hit I can tell you it is.

They are most likely going to total it.....but BE WARNED...you have State Farm and they suck...period. I used to be a State Farm customer and will tell you from experience that "Like a bad neighbor, they'll rob your house while your not home"....meaning be prepared for them to not want to give you a thing.

Advice:

Gather EVERY receipt you have.....get ones you have lost, whatever but make sure you have documentation of everything you have done to that car. That doesn't mean they will give it to you but it supports your argument.

This one is VERY important...remember to NEVER immediately accept their offer.....it is just that...and "OFFER" and you do not HAVE to take it. Remember their job is to pay out as LITTLE as possible!!! So they are going to offer you as little as they think they can get away with!

This is going to be a back and forth deal but I can also tell you from experience that you can negotiate with them and get more than they will initially offer.

The total of the car depends on cost of repairs vs. value of the car....if the cost of repairs meets or exceeds 75% of the value of the car then it will total.....if you show them the car is worth more than it takes more to total it. At this point it would have helped you given the amount of mods you did if you had an appraisal of the car with those mods.

Just remember....do not commit to ANYTHING without telling them you want to think it over first....take your time and think it over and then decide what you want to do. MOST people just take the insurance companies first offer and they only end up short changing themselves. I've helped quite a few people battle insurance companies to get what they deserve and they always come out better than if they had just accepted that original offer.

Also remember IF they fix it...they are going to push you toward one of their "prefferred" shops....telling you that it's guaranteed for life, etc, etc, etc....this is all COMPLETE B.S.! The ONLY reason they are wanting you to use a "preferred shop" is because they have an agreement with that shop that in exchange for sending them the business, that shop will use aftermarket parts, agree to a lower labor rate and do whatever they can to save THE INSURANCE COMPANY money...not YOU...with means that YOU the customer are not the first priority of that shop....the insurance company is. You can send your car to ANY shop YOU choose and the majority of shops will stand behind their work anyway...so that arguement about a "prefferred or pro shop" is not something unique to them....it's just a ploy to get you to go there. Bottom line is that it is YOUR car and you can have whoever YOU want fix it...
+1 I think he said it all and I could not agree more. Sorry to see this happened to you but at least your ok and the car as bad as it sounds can be replaced you cant. Good luck with everything.
Old 2/25/08, 11:57 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe the amount it takes to total a car varies from state to state (maybe even from company to company). Here in Nevada I was told it was 65% the value of the car. I had front end damage only, was doing 35 or less when I hit the other car (who ran a red light and was doing 25 - 30. My car was totaled here. Air bag blew too, I got 2 scratches on my left hand only (from the airbag cover I think).

If they do total it, and don't cover all of your mods, they should let you take them back (if you can). I was able to get several items off of my car from the salvage yard. I had to arrange it with my claims agent, who called the salvage yard to let me know what I was taking off. I wasn't allowed to jack the car up, but I was at least able to get the Flowmasters off the car (they were only a couple months old) and several other small parts.

This time around, I asked for extra coverage on the car for mod parts, I think I've got $4500 extra coverage now, and if I add more, I'll increase the coverage.

Good luck, I hope in the end you get the settlement you're happiest with.
Attached Thumbnails I think my car is totaled!!!!!!!-d_front.jpg   I think my car is totaled!!!!!!!-front.jpg  

Quick Reply: I think my car is totaled!!!!!!!