2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I think I want an automatic

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/04, 02:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by idobson@November 24, 2004, 11:38 PM
Although I do like the one peddle per foot thing
Whoa....I rarely drive automatics but I've learned that you never ever use the left foot. But maybe that's just stick-driver practice so we don't slam the brakes every time we "think" we should shift and hit the clutch.
Old 11/25/04, 02:22 AM
Bullitt Member

I wouldn't even consider getting a manual. Auto's rule!
Old 11/25/04, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got the auto as it will be my daily driver, and the wife would like it to be an auto as well. The only thing I worry about is accidentaly hitting the brake with my left foot as I'm trying to hit the nonexistant clutch.

Jason
Old 11/25/04, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
about the only thing I can imagine an automatic would be good for me is so I can flip off those people driving around talking on their cell phones, eating/drinking. If it's so urgent to talk to someone, pull over. And if you're that hungry that you can't wait to get home to eat, well... enough said.
Old 11/25/04, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by JustAnotherDude+November 25, 2004, 3:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JustAnotherDude @ November 25, 2004, 3:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-idobson@November 24, 2004, 11:38 PM
Although I do like the one peddle per foot thing
Whoa....I rarely drive automatics but I've learned that you never ever use the left foot. But maybe that's just stick-driver practice so we don't slam the brakes every time we "think" we should shift and hit the clutch. [/b][/quote]
If your not left foot braking in the twisties, auto or manual, your not fast.

I was taught in drivers ed in the 60's to never left foot brake. I learned very quickly that you can balance & rotate a car very quickly with small or large brake inputs. Now figure the time it takes to take your foot off the gas, apply the brakes, then put your foot back on the gas. The fellow who left foot brakes is accelerating that much quicker then you off the corner. It is the rage in oval, road & rally racing.
Old 11/25/04, 01:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by NewPony05@November 25, 2004, 12:43 PM
about the only thing I can imagine an automatic would be good for me is so I can flip off those people driving around talking on their cell phones, eating/drinking. If it's so urgent to talk to someone, pull over. And if you're that hungry that you can't wait to get home to eat, well... enough said.
'Ya know what Bubba???? That's why they have a choice between 2 tranny's, and I certainly didn't order an auto to please what you think I should/shouldn't be doing when I'm driving... B) Let me ask you a question: Have you ever drank a coffee/water/soda on the road while driving....or eaten a burger or snack while driving....or answered a cell phone call or made one while driving??? It's called fast paced society of the 20th century....get used to it. 'Nuff said....
Old 11/25/04, 03:36 PM
GT Member

I like them both.

Mopar's torqueflite - stuck pushbuttons right in the kisser of the hard core manual people back in the early 60s. The manuals "rule" was killed dead by that auto tranny.

With that "myth" being over (by a good working auto tranny) what is left?

I want a manual but not for the (not so real) performance boost - but for the less is more thinking - for the closer to the guts thinking - for the user interface thinking - for the kiss (keep it simple stupid) thinking.

I like mechanical "stuff" so well I would love to have a open gear box that I would watch the gears. I long for the electromechanical force field that keeps the tranny lube from splashing out.

I was forced to buy some autos along my way. When I got my 2nd Z28 TPI - the manual was not offered (yet). The engine was so good it made up for the tranny. My '65 426 was auto and cooked at the strip - my '67 440 was auto. Three of my four Corvettes were auto tranny.

I am long overdue for a manual.

Less is more - gibber me the clutch plate - throw out bearing and shift lever.

Since I work from a home office I don't have to be logical about traffic - I can think emotional about my next 4 wheeler.
Old 11/25/04, 04:08 PM

My wife can't drive my car very well because of the manual trans-we will order an automatic . I liked the manual in my 01 but there have been times when I have been caught in large traffic jams that my wonky left knee has ached. (sports injury) I want an 05 convertible and with an automatic the wife wants one too. (I know, I know, your old lady is an expert with the standard trans-mine has tried but if she hasn't learned since 1979 she ain't gonna)
Old 11/25/04, 04:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Who would even think about eating while driving, especially on the Mustang. :nono:
Old 11/25/04, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by ManEHawke@November 25, 2004, 5:20 PM
Who would even think about eating while driving, especially on the Mustang. :nono:
Me

Jason
Old 11/27/04, 08:31 AM
GT Member

Manual gets you in 'tune' with your car - it's about the driving experience.
Yeah it's more difficult to eat / dial-a-phone / drink / whatever.
It's not safe for me or other travelers if I'm distracted with other hands-on tasks.

...Get in the car and drive.
Old 11/27/04, 09:02 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Mustang Ricky@November 27, 2004, 9:34 AM
Manual gets you in 'tune' with your car - it's about the driving experience.
Yeah it's more difficult to eat / dial-a-phone / drink / whatever.
It's not safe for me or other travelers if I'm distracted with other hands-on tasks.

...Get in the car and drive.
OK, ...here goes. Here's where I make lotsa enemies:

It's not what your hands are doing that causes disaster, ...it's what your brain is doing !!!
Old 11/27/04, 09:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Get what YOU WANT. I live in the country and in hills/mountains and my personal preference is the stick. Fortunately, automatics ain't want they use to be !!!!
Old 11/27/04, 09:28 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by SeniorStang@November 27, 2004, 10:05 AM
It's not what your hands are doing that causes disaster, ...it's what your brain is doing !!!
No enemies I'd agree - it makes some sense.
Doesn't driver distraction research take data on where the eyes are focused?
Old 11/27/04, 10:01 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Mustang Ricky+November 27, 2004, 10:31 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mustang Ricky @ November 27, 2004, 10:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-SeniorStang@November 27, 2004, 10:05 AM
No enemies I'd agree - it makes some sense.
Doesn't driver distraction research take data on where the eyes are focused?[/b][/quote]
Guess I don't know when to quit !!!

It goes both ways.

Actually, it has more to do with multi-tasking capabilities than observation. The problem is, ...not too many people can multi-task successfully.

I have access to lotsa stats on this, but why mess up a good arguement with facts. The logical truth for most of us (me included) is that distraction while driving is a blueprint for a trip to the Mustang Happy Hunting Ground (read that "junckyard).

Distraction can occur while doing nothing physical other than driving; ...daydreaming about the next game or the hottie you have a date with later, etc..

Physical distraction, however, is most common; ..the thought process involved in a phone conversation or reacting to that mustard covered pickle that just fell out of your double quarter pounder and hit your new carpeting or smacking the unruly kid in the back seat, so-on and so-on.

Even pro's have to deal with this. Few NASCAR drivers, for example, like extended conversations between driver and spotter while under green, Most drivers just listen and spotters know to limit conversation to immediate and necesary information; ...anything else is unnecessary distraction (most longer conversations, and yes, even arguements are reserved for yellow).

The point is: Any distraction can have consequence; ...often somewhat less than nice.

I'll shut up for now. Like I said, I just don't know when to quit !!!

Y'all have a good one.
Old 11/27/04, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Exclamation

Hey my hesitation about getting the Automatic is over. I got the auto because I had a Boxster last year and after 3 months was sick of shifting. This was a short throw race shifter but I grew tired of it real quick. Got my GT with auto and then saw all the video from Ford with aggressive driving and started to regret my choice. Well last night took the Mustang out for a spin (140 miles on the odo) and got into it a little, manually useing the gear selector instead of just punching it. Now I'm happy I got auto cause when I was a little more agressive and manually operated the selector it responded like a race car. Very happy now! No regrets.
Old 11/27/04, 10:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've driven both the auto and the manual GT's and while the GT offers a little more 'fun factor' initially, I do not doubt that for some (and possibly me), the shifting might get 'old' after a while.

The auto shifted and ran nice although I did not drive it hard. It was smooth yet responsive so I have no doubt that it will be a great transmission.
Old 11/27/04, 10:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sick of shifting after 17 years of driving. Auto
Old 11/27/04, 08:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was very much set on getting a stick shift in my GT. Until I test drove a nice black GT with the auto in it (only one they had). 40 miles later and I was REALLY having to second guess myself about transmission choice.

First, my GT will be my daily driver. I have a short commute to work (1/2 hour each way or so) and I could definitely get used to letting the car shift for me. But I REALLY want a stick shift, so that is probably what I will buy.

Now, the other side of this: This was the best slush box I have ever driven! When I floored from a dead stop, the tranny held the gears right to redline in first, second and third (then I had to hit the brakes...). When I pulled away from a stop light strongly (enough to get noticed if a cop was about, but not enough to get the red and blue lights lit up...), it held the gears to around 4500 then shifted. Very nice. When I casually took off, it shifted very appropriately for the performance I was trying to get out of it at that time. During the test drive, I didn't even TRY to manually shift it. I didn't even think about it because the computer was doing such a good job.

It looks like I will be able to order my car in February. It will probably take me that long to make up my mind about which I want. And going in, I KNEW I wanted the stick shift...
Old 11/27/04, 08:54 PM
GT Member

Well,,,with all the opinions here, you can see there is really no right OR wrong answer! My feeling on it is that if it is going to be a hobby/fun car, get the stick. But, if it's going to be a daily driver and shared with others, like girlfriends, wives, or friends with no manual experience, get the auto! You really can't go wrong.

Quick Reply: I think I want an automatic