2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I think I want an automatic

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/04, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 1990 Fox Body GT with the 5 speed years ago, and man was that fun. I've had my heart set on another manual with this purchase, but drove one and just flat out wasn't impressed. I just got done driving another Mustang GT with an automatic, and for some reason I really like it.

Now with traffic in this town, an automatic makes alot of sense. Lord knows I will get sick of shifting in and out of first and second gear in bumper to bumper traffic before my first oil change. Plus I keep hearing that Ford really nailed it with this automatic transmission. I sort of agree, based upon my 3 mile test drive. The automatic transmissions in the old Fox Bodies were anemic at best, so I'm really hung up on this one.

My questions to those who have driven both, and specifically those who own an automatic...

Is the automatic transmission a good choice? Do you regret not having the manual now, or is it just as much if not more fun with the automatic?

Thanks for the replies!

Sean
Old 11/24/04, 05:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sean....I ordered an automatic and never considered a manual. When I'm driving I want as much freedom as possible (cell phone, drinking and/or eating, less fatigue). B) Since it's an everyday driver for me.....there is no question: AUTOMATIC.....and yes, I agree with you that it is a very impressive automatic to boot!
Old 11/24/04, 06:00 PM

i agree with Giddyup i too ordered an automatic with my GT everyone that i have spoken with that have drove the new 05 GT said that they cant believe how impressive the automatic is. B)
Old 11/24/04, 06:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Sean you answered you own question. You will not be happy with a manual. Anyway the decision is yours as its you who are writing the check. I bought a manual and drove it for three weeks and gave it to my son. It was no longer fun but work in heavy traffic so I gave it to him and ordered an automatic for myself.
Old 11/24/04, 06:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

There's no problem with getting what you want.
What was unimpressive about the manual btw? I thought it was the best thing ever.
Old 11/24/04, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was brought up on manuals & love them, but for a daily driver this new 5 speed is great. Bind it a bit & leave all the rubber you want, nice crisp shifts, also very nice shifting it manually up & down. Plus if you go drag racing you'll probably beat all the standard Stangs.
Old 11/24/04, 06:29 PM
GTR Member

The drivers of the Manual Stangs who "Power Shift" or "speedshift" will smoke the automatic. I would put a T-56 Manual in the 2005 because they are so strong and reliable, (until you hit 600rwhp)
Old 11/24/04, 06:35 PM
FR500 Member

i've driven both and I am impressed with both. The manual is very smooth and with the hp, not any undue shifting. But, if this was a daily driver for me I would have prolly purchased the auto.
Old 11/24/04, 07:15 PM
Cobra Member

Nothing wrong with an auto. After more than 37 years of driving a stick, I went with on auto in my current ride and couldn't be happier. Traffic was the primary reason. As I've said before, I don't think I'll ever go back to a stick in my daily driver.

You may hear some negative feedback like a sports car should only have a stick. That'll come from younger drivers and it's nonsense, Prosche, Mercedes, Ferrari etc all offer autimatics and it doesn't dilute the driving experience one iota.
Old 11/24/04, 07:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

good for city driving-good choice for someone with the stang as their main car
Old 11/24/04, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My impression of the manual was based on a short test drive, so please don't take offense. My comparison is based upon my memory of my old GT, which had 3:73 gears, so it was very stout off the line. Clutch was like a brick wall, very tight and hard to press. The new one is obviously setup a lot lighter, and it just didn't "feel right".

For me, when I buy a car, I have to know right then and there that this is something that blows me away, and the manual just didn't for some reason. I think I've pretty much talked myself into the automatic, thanks for the replies and validation.

BTW, the next time you buy a car, buy another manual and then give it to me instead of your son!

Sean
Old 11/24/04, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had three vehicles in the past 8 years, and all three were manuals, including my 2001 GT. I really love the fun of driving a manual transmission.

However, I'm really torn about what transmission to get when I order a 2005/2006 GT next summer. I really do love a manual, but the convenience of an automatic (it will be a daily driver) is calling to me. Especially since folks are saying such good things about the auto in these cars. I guess I'll just keep my ear to the ground and keep listening to what people say about both trannies...
Old 11/24/04, 07:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by scottie1113@November 24, 2004, 6:18 PM
That'll come from younger drivers and it's nonsense, Prosche, Mercedes, Ferrari etc all offer autimatics and it doesn't dilute the driving experience one iota.
It does dilute the driving experience. Yes, it will still be fun with an auto, but to have a LOT of fun in sports car you need to be able to control when shifts, either via stick or tiptronic.
Old 11/24/04, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

The stick is more fun when driving aggressive however I drive normal 90% of the miles and I know I would tire of shifting in traffic on the cell phone drinking a soda. I also where a suit in my job and there is something out of place driving a stick in a suit. Maybe its me but I just feel like a brown pair of shoes and world is a tuxedo. I have an 05 auto. I have no regrets except when I watch the high speed driving on the videos.
Old 11/24/04, 07:56 PM
GT Member

Its a religious issue that comes down to personal preference. Personally I prefer manual, even for my daily driver. Gives me something to do while stuck in traffic. But, it sounds like the auto in the 05 is a great unit so your not losing much if you decide to go that route.

-Mike
Old 11/24/04, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Azoufan,
If you ask most sports car enthusiasts, many will say that the manual is the only way to go for control and maximum performance. As we have seen in acceleration and quarter mile tests, this is not entirely the case with the new Mustang. According to the reviews coming in, on most days, an automatic is as fast or faster then the manual, due to its slightly different ratios and slick engagement. You still won't have as precise control as with the manual, but you may end up smoking manual GTs on a regular basis. Plus, you don't have to suffer in traffic. That doesn't sound like too bad of a trade-off to me!
Old 11/24/04, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

B) Automatic:
No longer do twisties, flat tracks and TTs so don't need the extra control.
No longer routinely drag race light to light and don't have to worry about a miss shift.
Too D^*%) much traffic and my leg doesn't get tired
Old 11/24/04, 10:02 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Giddyup@November 24, 2004, 6:00 PM
Sean....I ordered an automatic and never considered a manual. When I'm driving I want as much freedom as possible (cell phone, drinking and/or eating, less fatigue).
:shock: Don't drive by me while your doing any of the above please.

just kidding
Old 11/24/04, 10:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by stangerT+November 24, 2004, 9:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (stangerT @ November 24, 2004, 9:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Giddyup@November 24, 2004, 6:00 PM
Sean....I ordered an automatic and never considered a manual. When I'm driving I want as much freedom as possible (cell phone, drinking and/or eating, less fatigue).
:shock: Don't drive by me while your doing any of the above please.

just kidding [/b][/quote]
Oops....I guess I should have specified my cola or water on the road. I don't mix the other kind of drinking when I'm driving....
Old 11/24/04, 10:35 PM
GT Member

Well I bought a manual transmission and a hands free kit for my phone.

Mine is a daily driver, and I may actually have to drive it in snow, at least for a few weeks a year, and automatics are not that good in snow.

That wasn't my main reason however. I just don't know how to drive an automatic, all them letters and numbers just make it way to confusing for me.

Although I do like the one peddle per foot thing

Quick Reply: I think I want an automatic