2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I need some HUGE advice from anyone who can help..

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/08, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some HUGE advice from anyone who can help..

Recently I had my tranny flushed at a local Ford dealership. Once I had it done, I realized that it was slipping from time to time. So with that, I went to another Ford dealership who told me that the fluid in the pan was roughly a 1/2 quart low. They refilled it with no problem, and I was on my way.
Two days later, the problem started to come back. Now it certainly is not as bad as before, but it tends to happen when I come to an abrupt stop and then start to accelerate once again. It's only slipping in first, but this is really making me wonder what it truly could be...
No there are no leaks (had the dealer check), and the correct fluid (and amount) are in the vehicle. The car only has 51,000 miles on it, and Im not sure as to whether or not it will be covered by Ford's 75,000 mile warranty. I swear, if anyone has had this problem, or can diagnose what it might possibly be, I would be more than grateful. The last thing I want to do is miss another day of work to go to the Ford dealer. Thanks so much everyone!

2006 V6 mustang Pony package. 51,000 miles
Old 6/18/08, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK, no expert on transmission here, but there are a few things going on that may educate you on auto transmissions.

1st, the proper fluid level is critical. The transmission uses that fluid to hydraulically power the output shaft, so no fluid = no go.

2nd, the torque converter has to be working properly:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter4.htm

I'm not sure what modifications you may have (intake, tune or any of that stuff), but I know the stock transmissions run crazy and the tune really helps with response and shifting. You may want to take off your battery terminal (positive) for 15 minutes and then drive around and let your car relearn. It takes about 50 miles for the thing to set itself. Don't drive it like you've had it for 51K, rather drive it like it was new again.

That should give you something to do before you take it back in. I would say if the issue is your torque converter, then your warranty will cover that portion.

Good luck.
Old 6/18/08, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm no transmission expert either. I see you mentioned that you did have the fluid level checked again. I doubt flushing it could cause damage to the torque converter, or that if it did cause damage that you wouldn't have noticed it big-time elsewhere.

If all the seals are right and it's definitely not leaking, and it's definitely got the right level, perhaps they put in the wrong kind of fluid? Again, I'm no expert, but isn't there a different fluid for autos and manuals? Although I guess that would cause problems all the time.

Could be your shift computer's dorked up. Maybe it's not used to it being so clean? lol
Old 6/19/08, 02:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I recommend returning the car to the dealer that did the flush. The 5R55S is designed to be filled and left alone for 100,000 miles under normal conditions. It is unlike anything every built in the past. The seals are tight and the controls are electronic. The pan has a special two piece plug that is for factory fill and uses special equipment. The flush procedure clearly states that the technician MUST flush the cooler and install an external filter. My guys do the remanufacturing of all Ford CD4E, 4R55E, 5R55E, 5R55N, W, S, and 5R110W. We pack an external filter and detailed instructions with every unit we ship. Over 90% of our cores come back due to dealer failure to follow instructions. I may sound like a know it all but I have supervising the remanufacturing of Ford transmissions since 2002. Take it back and demand a replacement unit.