2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I have idntified the ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/05, 08:00 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for those wondering what the tick.............tick.............tick sound comming from the front of the car, i was anoying me and i found the cause...

it's a clutch type device on the air conditioning compresser on the serpenteen pully, if you have you climate control on any setting other than off, and you pop the hood, you will see the face of the pully spin........tick(stop).........tick(spin)......... ..tick(stop)...........tick(spin)

to stop the ticking you have to turn climate control off
Old 5/8/05, 08:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Yah that means your a/c compressor is going on and off, every time that tick goes, the clutch locks to the internals of the compressor and it spins the insides. So if it is doing this very rapidly, you may be low on freon etc. Just keep in mind on what it is, if it persists to be a problem.
Old 5/8/05, 10:01 PM
Cobra R Member

I really dont understand why people keep bringin this subject up, in about 10 other posts. This is normal, every car out there does it. Is this a bunch of peoples first car or what? Ask your neighbor to turn his a/c on his car and watch the compressor cycle, maybe that will put your mind to rest.
Old 5/8/05, 10:07 PM
V6 Member

lets not get rude about it???

I think you obviously know its not peoples first car, but in the 9 others i have own I have NEVER heard a sound that loud from an AC compresser.

the only reason i brought it up, is i knoteced others wondering what it was, and in the nature of the site wanted to help people, not belittle them,

golden rule: post to others what you want posted to you
Old 5/8/05, 10:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Didnt mean to come off as rude, just why its been posted on so many different posts. On each of the posts, it was identified already as the a/c compressor cycling. Im not calling people ignorant, just think its a waste of new threads.
Old 5/8/05, 10:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Daniel_Cline@May 8, 2005, 10:10 PM
lets not get rude about it???

I think you obviously know its not peoples first car, but in the 9 others i have own I have NEVER heard a sound that loud from an AC compresser.

the only reason i brought it up, is i knoteced others wondering what it was, and in the nature of the site wanted to help people, not belittle them,

golden rule: post to others what you want posted to you

Old 5/9/05, 04:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Fazm@May 8, 2005, 11:38 PM
Didnt mean to come off as rude, just why its been posted on so many different posts. On each of the posts, it was identified already as the a/c compressor cycling. Im not calling people ignorant, just think its a waste of new threads.
In all fairness.
I don't doubt that this has been covered.
I have not searched it.
I have not seen it either.
Maybe he searched the other posts and at the time didn't beleive this to be the problem.

I say let'em post away.

This is a forum of ideas and open discussion.

We are here to compliment each other and pick each other up when our ponies are ill.
Old 5/9/05, 05:38 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by CaliforniaStang@May 8, 2005, 9:53 PM
I hear the tick.....tick... even when all a/c controls are off.
As well......... :bang:

Among other stuff: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=23452
Old 5/9/05, 07:46 AM
Bullitt Member

The "tick" is absolutely annoying! I have owned many vehicles and have never had one that ticks this loud - it's ludicrous. It is louder than my stereo when my windows are down. My chevy truck - no noticeable tick, my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe - no tick, previous cars no noticeable tick (280 ZX, Mitsubishi Galant, 4 chevy trucks, Datsun B210 hatchback etc.).
Old 5/9/05, 11:50 AM
V6 Member

I also hear a tick from the outside when driving... I'll try turning off A/C and see if it still happens. I've never heard an A/C tick this loud on any other car.
Old 5/9/05, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Fazm@May 8, 2005, 9:04 PM
I really dont understand why people keep bringin this subject up, in about 10 other posts. This is normal, every car out there does it. Is this a bunch of peoples first car or what? Ask your neighbor to turn his a/c on his car and watch the compressor cycle, maybe that will put your mind to rest.
Normal? Every car? I've had mine since March 24th and have put over 1200 miles
on it and have NOT heard one tick. :scratch:
Old 5/9/05, 03:24 PM
V6 Member

I only hear it if the AC or defrost is on and I'm next to another car with my windows open.
Old 5/9/05, 03:26 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine just started 2 days ago and without the AC on! I restarted the car last night and went back through putting on the AC then shut down recirculation then AC then put air vent switch to 0 position and so far no TICK>>>>TICK>>>TICK.
Man is that loud ...if it keeps up back to the dealer it goe's
Old 5/9/05, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

When my car was brand new it ticked slightly when I got on it for a minute. I think it was the catalytic converter expanding. This only made noise for the first week or so then went away. It was the typical catalytic noise though and I knew immediately what it was.
Old 5/9/05, 03:35 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Definatly AC pump Indystang I watched it and I couldn't belive how loud it is .Its like its in recirculation mode and cuts in and out every 30 seconds or so ...sounds like 2 -12 volt batteries shorting out against each other .
Old 5/10/05, 05:24 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

What if it ticks when you aren't using the AC?
Old 5/10/05, 05:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@May 10, 2005, 5:27 AM
What if it ticks when you aren't using the AC?
Have you been using your windshield defroster to defog your windows by any chance? In some vehicles the a/c cycles when the defroster is on (to help dehumidify, I've always assumed).

A poster on another thread mentioned a cam timing solenoid as a possibility, in case you missed it. Worth checking out also.
Old 5/10/05, 08:00 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

NO TSB for it or the brakes! :bang:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...sb/results.cfm
Old 5/10/05, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I heard that tick for awhile, then I got the off road x-pipe, and subsequently I had to turn the volume louder to be able to hear the radio, and since then I haven't noticed the ticking anymore. Not bothered by the brakes squealing anymore either.

I'd say the solution to the problem is new mufflers/exhaust system. It worked for me

Quick Reply: I have idntified the ticking sound