2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

i got an idea for a fusion type key

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/07 | 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

so back to my idea. does anyone think there would be enough interest in this to have a bunch made?
Old 1/18/07 | 09:58 AM

Honestly, as far as the key's concerned, I'd rather just have a standard-style key like what is currently issued.

Given that the key is what starts your car, I don't want to be left stranded because the battery in my key died and now can't send a signal to the car to crank

Same issue w/ a flip-out key, if there's moving parts, it's going to break sooner or later.

I just don't trust that stuff; the key is a very small item, but its importance is not often considered in these situations.
Old 1/18/07 | 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 06GT
Honestly, as far as the key's concerned, I'd rather just have a standard-style key like what is currently issued.

Given that the key is what starts your car, I don't want to be left stranded because the battery in my key died and now can't send a signal to the car to crank

Same issue w/ a flip-out key, if there's moving parts, it's going to break sooner or later.

I just don't trust that stuff; the key is a very small item, but its importance is not often considered in these situations.
Too funny.
I had my VW GTI for over 4 years with the flip out key. I drove it daily and never had the switchblade mechanism break. When the battery starts to get low you know because the distance to open the door gets shorter. I bought a battery and waited for the original to die. Took about 2 months. Not to mention a second spare that never got used.

I love my Mustang but miss that key. It fit perfecty in the 'zippo front pocket' in my jeans.
Things like these are just a convenience but I can do without them for that roar I hear every morning when I fire her up.
Old 1/18/07 | 11:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

I agree on the dub key. They should of done that with the fusion one that is going to eventually become the standard key. Its fargin huge.
Old 1/19/07 | 06:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 06GT

I don't know about the other keyless systems but the Mazda version has a standard cut metal key inside the keyless transmitter to use if there is ever a problem with the keyless system.
Old 1/19/07 | 08:02 AM
Cobra R Member

i would like to combine the remote and key head into one. jsut remember that the transponder in the key is still seperate in all those keys (including fusion). so the battery going dead will still only cause the remote to not work. you'll still have a functioning transponder
Old 1/19/07 | 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would go for a switch blade type, I think it's convenient and it's a good all-in-one.

Especially that or key material is so fragile, it look like crap after 2 months.
Old 1/19/07 | 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
i would like to combine the remote and key head into one. jsut remember that the transponder in the key is still seperate in all those keys (including fusion). so the battery going dead will still only cause the remote to not work. you'll still have a functioning transponder

this is what i was talking about. having something made that would hold the transmitter and factory key all inone. just basically a piece of plastic that would go over the factory key, and would have a place to put the electronics from the remote inside, with cutouts for the buttons. all you would do is put your factory key and the transmitter and buttons from the remote in it, and then close it up.
Old 1/19/07 | 01:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by AWmustang
I don't know about the other keyless systems but the Mazda version has a standard cut metal key inside the keyless transmitter to use if there is ever a problem with the keyless system.
They all do. The RL has a unique '****' where they key would be on the column that you just turn when you get in, but it removes with a pull for the metal hard key to go in. All the others including the MB plug I/R key have metal backups built in.
Old 1/20/07 | 09:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Like this Benze key I use for work would be sweet as it does not dig holes in the pockets !
Attached Thumbnails i got an idea for a fusion type key-key-001.jpg   i got an idea for a fusion type key-key-002.jpg  
Old 1/20/07 | 09:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by official_style
check this out, what if we were to find a company to make something that would go over the factory key, and house the electronics and buttons from the keyless remote? make the key and remote all 1 piece, like the fusion. since the electronics inside the remote are small, i am sure it could me made to not be any bigger then the fusion key. this would also work for a ton of other ford vehicles, not just the mustang. anyone interested in trying to get this done? im down to put up some money, since i am sure a lot of people will want these. does anyone know anything about getting molds made and all that?
My sister bought the fusion 5 days ago. When i first saw that key i thought it was pretty conveneint having the key and remote in one peice. But try turning on your car with it without pushing the buttons. Its only a conveneince if you have tiny fingers that wont push the buttons when turning on your car.
Old 1/20/07 | 09:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

i have a fusion as a loaner while they fix some stuff on my mustang (fusion sucks, what a junky car) and the key is fine, i havent pushed any buttons accidentally. i would much rather have that type of key then the mustang 1980s key.
Old 1/20/07 | 09:29 PM
whs
GT Member

Originally Posted by Chris728
My sister bought the fusion 5 days ago. When i first saw that key i thought it was pretty conveneint having the key and remote in one peice. But try turning on your car with it without pushing the buttons. Its only a conveneince if you have tiny fingers that wont push the buttons when turning on your car.

Sounds like they could find a way to block the signal from that remote when the key is in the ignition. That would solve that problem.
Old 1/22/07 | 03:12 PM

I drove a Fusion and I don't like that huge key either. Takes up too much room in your pocket and stabs you. It is also hard to determine which button you need to push to open the doors (seems backwards). I programed another regular keyfob and use it and throw the Fusion key under the mat.