2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hurricane 5.0 Liter in 2008 Mustangs!!

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/06, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main problem is that the GT is still considered to be a bread and butter car for ford that they want to sell to everyone.

Soooo. that means, it has to be somewhat civilized, not scrape the ground, not ride too stiff, not have tires that cost a grand to replace and require snows in the winter. etc

You have to be a car guy to be willing to live with that stuff. I bet a good 35% of GT buyers would ***** and moan at the idea of snow tires and the idea of spending alot on replacements.

For ME. I want a no comprimises, 400hp, no more than 3600lb, lower, sharper, faster stang. 6.0L NA screamer with a 6 speed and a 7K rpm redline, and 18x9.5" bullitts out back and 18x8.5"s out front. brembo brakes, No all season tires. Deeper bucket seats with slightly better leather. Yet give me more options than the black and red interiors on the shelby, offer the full interior color scheme they have now. Make the stripes scoops be optional thank you.

But no special edition markup BS, no fake shortages to raise eyebrows and pad dealer pockets, just make it as easy as ordering a Gt and checking off another box on the option chart. Make it the sport package or something. Lets say a 10-12K dollar option above and beyond a gt premium. Make it in quantity like an M3 or a porsche S car. So for 38K thats the car you get. No shelby branding please. Not availible on convertibles.

And make the gt500 an even hotter more track ready version of that for 46K after you put it on some kind of diet and shave the weight down to at least 3700.

I swear I should work for ford. First thing I would do it wack them on the head with a mallot and tell them to stop being stupid and build a true almost vette killer that costs 10K less.

It is soooo frustrating sometimes.
Old 12/8/06, 01:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=Knight;795062][quote=jsaylor;795002]It would be difficult to imagine Ford replacing a 4.6L mod motor with a 5.8L Boss V-8 given the current climate

why not...chevy has used a 5.7 in the camaro z28 for ever.. i see no reason you can't have a main stream 5.8L mustang.
I think you misunderstood my intent here. I'm not arguing that Ford wouldn't replace the 4.6L V-8 in the GT with a larger motor, just that I find it unlikely that Ford would completely eliminate V-8's smaller than 5.8L from the lineup as a whole at this point in time.

Originally Posted by Boomer
Realist, not doubter.
There will NOT be a 5.0L 400hp V8 in 08

The ONLY 5.0 engine is the crate boss.

There may be small boost in HP between now and the redesign+when the camaro comes out.
Until it is out and on the road, there is no reason to show the full hand... so don't expect it to be.

We know the 5.8-6.2L SOHC 2v engines are coming.
We know the redesign of the stang is coming.
We know there will be more HP in time.

Just don't listen to MotorTrend and all will be well...
I absolutely agree with you regarding Motor trend, and I agree that there wont be a 400hp 5.0L engine in the 08 Mustang, I'll even agree that we don't know that there will be a 5 Liter Boss. But I think it is pretty safe to assume that Boss V-8's smaller than 5.8L will eventually appear and I think we need to be careful when guessing about the future since we really don't know what other displacements might roll down the production line.

I could be wrong, happens all the time. But if Ford chooses to continue producing the Boss and Mod motor engines over the long term I'd be surprised and will have lost a lot of faith in FoMoCo. That would simply be a sign poor decision making skills no matter how you slice it.

And as I have said elsewhere, if Mullaly is truly the student of Toyota development and manufacturing he claims to be he wont want to continue producing two engine designs long term where one will do. Especially not in an instance where where one is a better design than the other. To do so would be utterly contrary to Toyota's philosophy of continual improvement and always choosing the better path.
Old 12/8/06, 01:54 PM

A five liter motor would be unlikely, whether a road-going varient of the pushrod crate motor (least likely); 5.0 Mod motor varient, aka, the "Cammer;" or a five liter version of the upcoming Boss, nee Hurricane motor, which sounds like it will be released in 5.7 and 6.2 sizes -- Ford will have their hands full just getting these two to the showroom, nevermind a boutique 5.0 version.

If any Mustang Boss motors are likely, I think it would be either:

Early release:

DOHC 4.6 -- if the Boss comes out earlier (2007-8). This smaller, lighter (AL block) more highly tuned motor would well match the character of the original and iconic Boss 302 motor of '69-'70. Figure around 375-400hp.

DOHC 5.4 -- Less likely as a Boss Stang motor due to its heavy FE block and lower reving, long-stroke nature. These same qualities would make for an ideal Mach I and Bullitt motor, however, whether in SOHC or DOHC configuration. Would probably have 400-425hp, only a bit more than a Boss 460, but would be distinguished by a lower, more accessible peak power and torque rpm.

Later release (Post 2010):

Boss 5.7 (351) - This would match the '71 Boss 351 name and likely (given we know little concrete info on the Boss family) a good hi-po configuration.

Boss 6.2 (whatever CI that translates to) - probably equally likely if only to match the size and HP numbers that the upcoming Camaro and Challenger top dogs will have, which will likely be a bit higher yet than todays 6.0 LS2 and 6.1 Hemi.

Standard bread and butter GT motor will likely remain the SOHC 4.6 in the near term, boosted modestly by usual tuning tweaks to 320-340 hp to keep it in the game, somewhat. Ford will likely stake out the cheap end of the burgeoning neo-Ponycar market with the GT and thus, won't add much content to it. Rather, they'll better flesh out the mid and upper ranges of the Stang to compete more directly, $ for $, with the upcoming Camaro and Challenger.
Old 12/8/06, 03:38 PM
Closet American

...unless something has drastically changed in the last 6 months.
That might be a more prophetic statement than you realize.
Old 12/8/06, 05:03 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Although I VERY highly doubt the BOSS engines will be in the stang prior to the F-150

They'll get them first.
Old 12/8/06, 06:24 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Boss 5.7 (351)
How about a Boss 5.8?
The rumors have been saying 5.8L & 6.2L.

The old Ford 351 CID engines were actually 351.9 CID or 5.77 L
Which rounds up to 5.8L

Even if you make it exactly 351.0 CID = 5.7511 L which also rounds up to 5.8L
Old 12/8/06, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Duratec 3.5L V6 275 HP Base Mustang

SOHC 4.6L 3V V8 350 HP Base GT

SOHC 5.8L 3V V8 400 HP SE Mustang (Mach 1/Boss)(Shelby GT 435 HP)

DOHC 6.2 4V V8 575 HP Lightweight, Big Brake, Corvette "Killer" Shelby GT500KR (wishful thinking)
Old 12/9/06, 12:57 AM
FR500 Member

lol we all just have such high hopes...as for a corvette killer its not happening especially with the monster they r coming out with. anyways im hoping for a modest bump in hp in the GT....id like to get a confirmed mach 1 and at least a 50hp increase in the shelby for the future. as for the 5.0 coming back, would be nice
Old 12/13/06, 07:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Who have you 'heard from'?
And please don't say: motor trend

The articles posted and thrown all around are bupkiss...

The original time frame MAY have been that... but it is not.

2009 was the original reskin/redesign
(*people seem to mix redesign/reskin/ground up)
Mark Fields pushed this back a year.
2010 is when the new sheetmetal comes out, and within a year, new engines (or models... with new engines)

2008 will not have any SIGNIFICANT changes... unless something has drastically changed in the last 6 months.

Also, the MTrend article mentions the 5.0 BOSS engine.
This engine is an older pushrod design, crate motor. It will NOT be in the cars. It is used to get the BOSS engine name out... to prep for the BOSS engine designation that will be out within a year or 2. Starting in the reskined F-150 (08/09)

Again, no real reason for Ford to show its hand right now.
The car is selling well, and the competition hasn't even shown its production versions yet.

I think I've typed the above about 30 times already this month...
"Heard From" was meant "read on here" Sorry for any confusion.

I'm just trying to determine if there is a shred of truth to any of the information I read on here. I mean until it is officially announced through Ford, it isn't Official. However, how the hell do you come across official information? Shows, Magazines, Websites? All and/or Neither...

Being a careful buyer, I'm just trying to figure out what I can do with my existing car. I want to trade in for a Vert, but I don't want to do it if the next new model, and/or engine will be out in one more year. I mean crap, there is no planning in this I can see. Just consumers wasting money year after year. Did I tell you how much I hate business??