2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

How many 2005 owners lived in the golden age?

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/05, 07:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I grew up in the 60s. Best friend had the first Mustang in Clovis NM. Had great times in that car. Had and raced a '60 Pontiac at Amarillo Dragway...won class ever time I raced it. First new car was a '69 Mach 1. Had to give it up because kids came along and car seat would not fit well in back seat. Got a Lemans station wagon. Also wanted to replace that Mustang. Now have an '05 GT and had set it up like an American Muscle Car. Plan to start racing it next season in OK.
Old 9/15/05, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Born in 1953 and like a lot of guys my age, served my country during `Nam.
I don't think that the times will ever be the same, but I'm not letting go of a single memory of how it was in the hay-days of my youth. I've a 22 year old son who thinks I'm kind of old fashioned, but he's picked up on the fact that I am still young at heart. I've a collection of cars that I choose to be around and the Mustang is my latest addition.

Old but not forgotten....
Old 9/15/05, 09:20 AM
GT Member

I wasn't born in the time. I never lived in the time. My entire family was disconnected from the culture, and never steeped me in it. Yet, several years ago, I found myself being drawn towards the golden age of automobiles. I never have learned it all. I never learned about the amazing race history. My learning has not taken me that far, but it has certainly taken me far enough considering I had no reason to BE interested.

You have hit on the 'glue' that brings us all to the 2005-6 Mustang and previous Mustangs. I love every story listed on this post. Iwas born in 1958 and was able to enjoy all the cars going by my house all day long in 1967 thru 1972. My brother had a 1967 Fastback with a 289. My brother and I used to take it out for a ride when he went on his tour in Vietnam. Luckily he returned and traded it in for a '69 Boss 302. From that time I was hooked. I purchased a '68 V-8 Mustang in 1975 and then a '70 Mach 1 when I went to college in 1976. But I was lucky enough to see my brother go thru car after car during the 60s. He tried the GTO then the 'Cuda...Corvette...Camaro. It seemed he traded in his vehicle based on what his girlfriend liked. He finally decided on the Mustang. He used to have all his friends who had Mustangs come over my house and they would 'peel out' all day..drink beer and chase the women who were most scantilly dressed. It got to a point I also could know most of the models and accessories of the '68-'70 Muscle cars as they passed by. One thing I do not miss is the way most seemed to jack-up the rears on perfectly good cars!!! I would consider that RICE today. It's a shame we all can't shoot the crap in person. Join a Mustang club in your area...I'm sure there are some old salts who'll love to tell you how it was. American Graffiti is a good film to start with and go on from there for the feeling. Good Luck.
Old 9/18/05, 11:41 AM

I thank you all for the memories. I've always loved notable cars. Born in 1945, I first really began to notice them when my Dad traded in his '52 jeep station wagon for a '55 Thunderbird. He got the third one delivered in California. At ten years old it was just cool to ride with him. As I approached 16, we began looking for a suitable car for me. New was pretty much out of the question, so we settled on a 1929 Ford Model A Three Window Coupe we had found. To pass the time until I could get a driver's license, Dad and I stripped the old coupe down to the bare frame and rebuilt her back to her original glory. Since the coupe was not running through the six months before my birthday, I learned to drive in that T-Bird. What a car!

After the Model A,lots of fun but not really practical as I headed off to college, I moved through a number of cars focusing on economy (of purchase and operation). Dad offered me the Thunderbird in 1967 But I was newly married, no money, entering the Navy and moving 3,000 miles away. It just didn't seem practical. darn! 30 years later I almost got back to a distinctive car. My wife bought 1997 red V6 Camaro. For two years, I watched her sheer delight driving "Her" car. It was and still is exactly what she wanted. In 1999, I could take it no longer and bought one of my own. It was a great car, but it just somehow didn't bring back the old feelings and memories I wanted. I thought I found "My" car when the Thunderbird was released. Weighing the lack of power and the too high price tag for a couple of years I had just about decided that it was close enough and I would not find a car that had it all, so I was preparing myself to buy one.

While on a temporary assignment in England a co-worker asked if I had seen the new Mustang. Some quick surfing in the internet and I had found My car. It took almost 9 months to work things around to where I could buy one, and by March of this year I placed an order for a Torch Red GT. My son bought a V6 that day and took immediate delivery. I thought, 8 weeks wasn't too long to wait for exactly what I wanted. Little did I know that short wait would run out to 23 weeks.

I've had "Sophia" for a week and a half and she is everything I wanted in a car, and had been missing. I haven't found one thing that I kinda wish had been done differently. She is my perfect blend of that old T-Bird and the '64 Mustang.
Old 9/18/05, 04:52 PM
GT Member

Bubba

As one who lived then and was at York US 30 Dragway every weekend, I have to tell you that if you own an 05 or 06 Mustang, you have just experienced that era. The good part is that the new Stang is modern from the technology perspective.

As one who thrashed a 65 289cid Stang in 69, the new Stang captures all of it and more. What is cool is the whining gearbox, the deep engine sound..the power. The original did the same. No, this is not a Mercedes or BMW. It ain’t supposed to be. It is, like the ad says, an American Legend.

I love my 06 Pony!

Old 9/18/05, 05:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by grrr428@August 28, 2005, 7:36 PM
(This bit of old fart self congratulatory e-mail has been floating around for a couple of years now. I'm going to be 50 (yikes!) in November, so I guess I'm one of them LOL)

TO ALL THE KIDS
WHO SURVIVED the

1930's 40's, 50's,
60's and 70's !!

First,
we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried
us.
They
took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested
for diabetes.

Then after
that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based
paints.

We had no
childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we
had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took

hitchhiking

As
children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding
in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We
drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We
shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE

actually
died from this.

We
ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it,
but

we
weren't overweight because

WE
WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We
would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back

when
the streetlights came on.

No one was
able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We
would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down

the
hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the

bushes
a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have
Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no

channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell

phones,
no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat

rooms..........WE
HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We
fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

lawsuits from these
accidents.
We ate worms
and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did
not live in us forever.

We were given
BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

made up games with
sticks and tennis ***** and although we were told it would happen, we did not
put out very many eyes.

We
rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang

the
bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had
tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't

had
to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a
parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with
the law!

This
generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers

and inventors ever!

The past 50
years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We
had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW
TO

DEAL
WITH IT ALL!

And
YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You
might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids,
before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good

and
while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their
parents were.

Kind of makes
you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't
it?!
That's like today's ghetto
Old 9/18/05, 06:19 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Mutta@August 24, 2005, 8:56 AM
Well kids, I was born in 37 and graduated from high school in 1955(just had our 50 year reuion-wow are those cheerleaders big now). My first car was a 49 chevy, my brother had a flathead 50 ford. yep we lived the life of American Graffiti. Gas was cheap. Drag races all the time over the interstate bridge and out by the old cemetary. In 56 I joined the army, my brother had a newer ford convert with the Interceptor engine and kicked hiney all over town. But boy those were the good old days, A&W root beer and burgers on a tray on your window, good music.............. and now at 68 am enjoying the 2005 Mustang Gt five speed.
God Bless Ya. You are the man! I am 53.

:worship:
Old 9/18/05, 06:28 PM

I grew up in the 60's behind the Zion Curtain in Utah.
Rather protected back then.
Hippies stood out like sore thumbs, smokin dope was a hanging offense, and support for Vietnam was the norm.
But cars were thing that showed your coolness.
As a boy we grew up watching Batman, and the Green Hornet with thier awsome cars.
Mad, and Hotrod magazines were in every boys library.
Model cars and airplanes were our hobbies.
And every boy had Rat-Fink car stickers on thier windows and mirrors.
The bubble gum card of choice was Rat-Fink art.
The cool older boys in the neighbor-hood had the Stangs and 56 Chevy's.
Rodded and wide tires all jacked up in the rear of course.
Our dreams were to buy (when we got older) the latest street rod.
I have had a love affair with the Stang since I was a boy.
My father purchased a 65 coup in 1965 and passed it on to me when I turned 15.
I have passed it on to my son now and he is restoring it.
I have owned only a few in my lifetime.
The 65 a 94 and now a 2005 GT.
The return to the 69 Stang style was a godsend to me.
The big Stang as we called it back then.
Nastalgia mabey.
I always loved the Stang.
And now in a way I got to purchase the car I dreamed of as a child.
Old 9/18/05, 06:30 PM
GT Member

[quote=RalphBullit,August 27, 2005, 11:31 AM]
Ok. guys, this thread is simply splendid but now my piece of cake :
I am 20 and live in Europe.People living in my country associate 50/60's as the worst time to live.My country was under the communist regime,occupied by the Soviet army.There was absolutely nothing and people lived like in huge jail.

God Bless You, too. Hang in there. Follow your dreams and you will get rewarded. Maybe with a Stang. Remember that even though all of us here are happy with our Mustangs old and new, materialism isn't going to get you to the promised land.

Europe had some tough times and you have seen some of it. We Americans need to be vigilant so that we don't fall from grace.
Old 9/21/05, 04:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

I was born in 1960 and my first encounter with the Mustang was one my uncle owned. I don't know what year it was but it was what we call a classic Mustang. I remember him taking me for rides in it and letting me sit in the front seat. I remember playing in it pretending I was driving. I knew then I would someday own a Mustang. Years later in 1997 I took delivery of a brand new 1997 GT, and it happened to be a day before my 37th birthday. I called my brother and told him and he said "you finally got your Mustang, it's about time". The '97 is gone but not forgotten, and I now have been blessed with the retro style of the 2005 Mustang GT. I'll never forget those days as a child riding and playing in my uncles Mustang and as far as cars are concerened my life has come full circle.