2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you handle the salesman?

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/04, 02:18 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great forum with many helpful people! Now I need help. I’ve read and researched through many posts. I’ve done my homework - I know my credit score / credit report. I know what financing I can qualify for outside the dealer. I know what to expect from my trade. I know what I can afford on a down payment. I’ve looked at the order guide and pricing. I am ready to buy - I am strong!

But … I need thoughts on “how do you handle the salesman”? I want to buy a car - they want to sell one. It should be win-win, but it seems to become a power struggle - salesman tactic vs. buyer tactic. Consider:

Scenario One

I go in armed with all my info. I basically lay it on the line: here’s what I’ll pay, here’s what my trade is worth, here’s the financing you’ll have to beat. Take it or I’m walking. Many salesmen are power trippers and would rather send me packing than to give in to those who know the system, can’t be played, and come well prepared.

Scenario Two:

I go in and act interested - but play it low key. They say, “Everyone is paying MSRP”. I state I’ve seen where $500 over invoice is common. They say my credit isn’t up to the best financing available. I pull out my credit report/score and beg to differ. Etc. Now they’re defensive because I’ve caught them in their “misdirection” games.

In either case, I see a conflict. I won’t be hosed - but the salesman doesn’t want to be seen as the dirt under my shoes either.

So - tell me your stories - what worked and what didn’t - on your buying strategy. I don’t think anyone here went in like the sheep the dealer would like. How did you do it?
Old 9/23/04, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I went into the dealer 3 times just looking test drove a couple times. The second time in we figured up what the deal would be and I didnt bite on it. I told him what I could and would do a month and the 3rd time in the dealer same car was there and they cut me the deal I needed. First off I would wait until the dealers have plenty of cars in stock because if you go in and they have a limited # they are not gonna deal with you as good. So I say wait 6 months after the dealers start recieving the cars. Actually I would almost wait until september of 05 because then the 06's will be coming out and they will be cutting deals on the 05's.
Old 9/23/04, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Andy Haynes@September 23, 2004, 3:29 PM
I went into the dealer 3 times just looking test drove a couple times. The second time in we figured up what the deal would be and I didnt bite on it. I told him what I could and would do a month and the 3rd time in the dealer same car was there and they cut me the deal I needed. First off I would wait until the dealers have plenty of cars in stock because if you go in and they have a limited # they are not gonna deal with you as good. So I say wait 6 months after the dealers start recieving the cars. Actually I would almost wait until september of 05 because then the 06's will be coming out and they will be cutting deals on the 05's.
I have to agree with Andy. The dealers are getting more info every day. They know how many they will be getting in and they will be able to sell at MSRP or higher until there's a ton of these cars sitting on their lot. If you can get a plan price then go for it. Order one and see what kind of deal you can get. It looks like its going to be a bit hard to strike a good deal for a car off the lot.
Old 9/23/04, 03:06 PM
V6 Member

This seems like an interesting situation regarding timing. I bought my 2000 Mustang in February, tax time sale. With cold weather and snow, no one was buying Mustangs - everybody was buying trucks. I had no problem getting a $100 over invoice deal.

Now however, things are somewhat skewed. During early ’05 - even during the winter months - ’05 Mustangs may still be hard to come by. So actually waiting until spring when supplies have somewhat caught up, but before the summer buying demand is in might be the right time to buy. It also may be easier to get a hardtop when the spring / summer convertible demand sets in.
Old 9/23/04, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I ordered my '05 and negotiated a price on it with the fleet manager at my local dealership. I've leased a Mustang with them before, and using the pricing sheet that Kevin posted, told her that I thought $500 over invoice was a fair deal for both parties in the transaction. She agreed, so that's what my price is. She also said she would let me know if I qualify for a return customer discount (I'm coming off a lease with Ford Credit).

If you are ordering, I recommend dealing with the fleet manager. I've had a very easy and efficient experience, without being subjected to any salesman selling tactics. I haven't even been to the dealership since I ordered in May.
Old 9/23/04, 03:56 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by CA Stang@September 23, 2004, 3:29 PM
I ordered my '05 and negotiated a price on it with the fleet manager at my local dealership.
Thanks for your input. I have heard about “asking for the fleet manager”. But why would a fleet manager deal with a single “Joe” off the street?
Old 9/23/04, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

In talking to a few local Ford dealers near me it appears that they are all planning to stick to MSRP for as long as they possibly can. The guy I spoke to today even warned me not to plan on driving any new Mustangs till all the pre-ordered cars have come though and they start receiving spec cars to sell. OTH he told me I'm the first real live Mustang customer he's had so I don't know who may have done all this 'pre-ordering'! I think that we may be waiting till Presidents' Day for the combo of deal-making and multiple cars to actually see and drive.
Old 9/23/04, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by dapmustang+September 23, 2004, 9:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dapmustang @ September 23, 2004, 9:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-CA Stang@September 23, 2004, 3:29 PM
I ordered my '05 and negotiated a price on it with the fleet manager at my local dealership.
Thanks for your input. I have heard about “asking for the fleet manager”. But why would a fleet manager deal with a single “Joe” off the street?[/b][/quote]
Understandable question. Here's how I ended up dealing with the fleet manager. The lease on my '02 GT was ending in May, but I wanted to know who I could speak with about timing an '05 order with the turning in of my '02. For this situation, the rep at my local dealer transferred me to the fleet manager. That's how I ended up ordering and negotiating with the fleet manager.
Old 9/23/04, 06:22 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Drivetime@September 23, 2004, 5:07 PM
In talking to a few local Ford dealers near me it appears that they are all planning to stick to MSRP for as long as they possibly can.
Just got the same vibe from a few dealers I have talked to today.

One place wouldn't budge, no Xplan, MSRP only

another place sounds like they might flex on price "a bit"
Old 9/23/04, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
OK dap. you are prepared. You've done your homework. I congratulate you. Good job.

It doesn't matter what tack your salesperson takes; you know what deal is acceptable to you. So you work that deal regardless. If they don't reach to meet you, you say thanks and you walk.

One of two things will happen. They will either let you walk (meaning they can do better than you and are not worried about being able to move the car) or they will run out and stop you before you can get back yo your old car. Either way, you will know what you need to know.

If the deal isn't agreeable to you, say thanks and stroll. If they can actually meet the deal, they will do whatever is required to get you back in there. You want to buy a car, and they want to sell. You get a good deal and they can make some money too.

If you get a really disreputable person who really leaves you with a bad feeling, keep strolling anyway. Ford will make more Mustangs! Plus if you REALLY want to work with that dealership (maybe location, service convenience, etc.) betcha there's other sales folks there you can try.

Good luck, and tell us all what happens!
Old 9/23/04, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

how about buying online or at least getting a quote from CarsDirect.com ?
Old 9/23/04, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I simply tell the salesman my expectations, and that if they aren't met, I'd go somewhere else. This car was easy because of the x-plan, but I haven't had any troubles on other vehicles either.

Jason
Old 9/23/04, 07:56 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Around here, they go ahead and let you leave, then call you just before they close for the day or first thing the next day.

Jason
Old 9/23/04, 08:01 PM
Cobra Member

Check out www.carbuyingtips.com for some good info. If you live near one of the guys on this forum who sells cars, I'd also talk to them. Good luck.
Old 9/23/04, 08:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Its getting apparently harder and harder for the dealers to get any signifigant numbers before dead of winter so expect pricing to rise. Its taking SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long for Ford to get it together with this car. Between Mustang and Escape Hybrid Ford is missing out on so many sales right now, they could of moved 100,000 by december between them if they would of stepped it up. I saw 2 truckloads of Prius which outnumbers our ENTIRE YEARS allotment of Hybrids roll in the auto park today. Not to mention the oodles of Scion Tc's(all at or above sticker for the little pooboxes)that are rolling now(a direct price competitor to the V6 stang). Way to go. Between Escape Hybrid, mustang, 500, and Freestyle and the lethargic launches, all of the dealers I have talked to are extremely frustrated about it right now.
Old 9/23/04, 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Galaxie+September 23, 2004, 6:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Galaxie @ September 23, 2004, 6:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Drivetime@September 23, 2004, 5:07 PM
In talking to a few local Ford dealers near me it appears that they are all planning to stick to MSRP for as long as they possibly can.
Just got the same vibe from a few dealers I have talked to today.

One place wouldn't budge, no Xplan, MSRP only

another place sounds like they might flex on price "a bit" [/b][/quote]
If you have an x-plan, check https://myplan.ford.com and click the link to FordDirect.com. You should get a listing of dealers that offer x-plan prices. Last time I checked, only '04 Mustangs are listed, but give it some time. Eventually the '05 will show up. I already see the 500, the '05 Focus, the '05 Escape, etc. listed.
Old 9/23/04, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Be patient, Kevin. Soon enough you'll be able to sell a bunch of them, and you will. And that's a good thing.
Old 9/23/04, 08:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No matter how remote in the sticks a dealer is, the rules of pricing will change as soon as a dealer sells 2 Mustangs. Our first 20+ are already sold.
Old 9/23/04, 08:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Most salesmen around here are not knowledgeable and have very little - if any - personality or product awareness it seems. Sad, but true.

When I am ready to purchase, I arm myself with ALL the info - facts, specifications, prices (MSRP/Invoice/Holdback amount, etc) and let the salesperson know right up front that while profit is not a dirty word, that they will not be dealing with some 'deer-in-the-headlights' looking car-buying neophite.

Often, I've even asked to speak to the sales manager or higher if I get some poor sales trainee or "I've been on the job for a week" person. And doesn't it just roast your chestnuts to be greeted with some pimply faced kid or a 60 year old geezer who knows absolutely NOTHING about what is in their inventory or what the specs/prices are of the vehicle you are interested in???

Anyhow - know everything you can about what you want to buy. Chances are, your salesman will know less than you wish he would know when you talk to him/her. :bang:
Old 9/23/04, 09:02 PM
GT Member

I sold for a year and here's my take. Be very direct. Get pre-apporved from a credit union first. Go in and tell them your demands up front. Do not make it a power struggle, just be polite and tell them what they have to do to get your business.

I sold 2 Lincolns in 2 months to a guy who did that. He came in and said this is what I want make your numbers match mine and it's a sale. He left me his info and said call me when you get it done.

Some salesmen will try and strong arm you. Just don't let it escalate to a me vs them thing. It's all business leave emotion out. It's a car you're not in love with it. If you don't buy it then your life will still be just as good. You need that attitude, because that armed with your knowledge makes it a no game bare bones type deal.

Also if they won't meet your deal then just wait. It may be a low number car right now, but Ford has plans of mass production. Guys and ladies, please don't pay MSRP or more just to have it now when you can pay a few grand less in the spring.