2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

How the Boss was Loss....(t)

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/04, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Wolfie351@August 25, 2004, 2:35 PM
I'm no lawyer, but the way I understand trademark law is that you must re-new every 10 years and you also MUST have an "intent to use" that trademark. Since Ford has not sold a Boss in 30 years, I would say they no longer have rights to it. Notice how Ford brought out a Mustang Cobra every 10 years
You're completely correct, except that "intent to use" is not "use". Just because they haven't made one in a while doesn't mean they give up the rights. They also still have the old "Boss" name in circulation on the old cars. Think about all the old movies, "Gone with the Wind" being the most recognizable. You think MGM magically loses the rights to it because they haven't remade the movie in ... 65 years?
Old 8/25/04, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8+August 25, 2004, 1:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thezeppelin8 @ August 25, 2004, 1:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by M1Rifle@August 25, 2004, 10:26 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-BlueStangVert
@August 25, 2004, 10:45 AM
Larry Shinoda, the creator of the original Bossse (as well as Mach 1s and Camaro Z28s) founded Team Shinoda in the early to mid-1990s.

Don't forget the 1963 Corvette Stingray!
Shinoda is the greatest IMO. these 4 cars are on my top 5 list. [/b][/quote]
Wow! Thats most of the surviving muscle cars. Impressive.
Old 8/26/04, 05:12 AM

First off - New guy here. Been lurking the past couple of months reading all the up to date info on the 05'. This forum has been an overwhelming source for everything anyone could want to know about the 05'. Thanks all for your posts.

I too am a fan of the Shindoa cars, interestingly enough they have posted photoshops of the 05' on their website with 2005 BOSS Shindoa Stroker 302 cid & 2005 BOSS Shindoa inscribed underneath them. Im not sure if this is an official release, or just a tease of what they could possibly offer. You decide for yourself --- www.teamshinoda.com/

Hopefully they make them.
Old 8/26/04, 05:57 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by 1BADGT@August 26, 2004, 5:15 AM
First off - New guy here. Been lurking the past couple of months reading all the up to date info on the 05'. This forum has been an overwhelming source for everything anyone could want to know about the 05'. Thanks all for your posts.

I too am a fan of the Shindoa cars, interestingly enough they have posted photoshops of the 05' on their website with 2005 BOSS Shindoa Stroker 302 cid & 2005 BOSS Shindoa inscribed underneath them. Im not sure if this is an official release, or just a tease of what they could possibly offer. You decide for yourself --- www.teamshinoda.com/

Hopefully they make them.
Hello and Welcome!
Old 8/26/04, 06:53 AM
Cobra Member

I love this new Stang, and I can't wait to see a picture of a SE ( Whatever it is?? Mach 1, Boss, Shelby etc. ).

I am one of those guys, who is on the fence. I have owned 2 Mustang GT's ( I still own one ), and the Cobra is a little out of my price range. So I want something special to keep for a very long time - an SE!!
I am pissed, because Ford has left some of us out in the cold on this SE issue.

To be honest with you, I am ready to buy now, and although I love this new Mustang GT, I am not thrilled with the wheel choices. I really like the 18's - which are not offered in 05.

My options:
I can wait till 06 and buy a GT with 18's ( I hope?! ) or continue to wait for an SE or wait till late 06 or 07 and buy a Cobra. Because its going to take me that long to save for a Cobra.

Whatever I get, I know I am going to be very happy, but its all this waiting around that pisses me off!
Old 8/26/04, 09:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GTJOHN@August 26, 2004, 6:56 AM

Patience, Grasshopper!

What's special about a special edition that is released at the same time as the normal car? That's not a special edition, that's an option package.

You may be pissed, but I am amused. The '05 has 99% of the power and 110% of the handling and 150% of the interior quality of the '04 Mach1, if we can believe what we know about the car so far. There's your Mach1, on Job1.

If it is that important to you to have a Mach1 version of the '05, then wait. What's your personal goal or reason for having a Special Edition of the '05?

More power?
More vinyl and scoops and wings and useless cr_p?
More status with your buddies?
A.D.D.?
Old 8/26/04, 11:23 AM
Cobra Member

M1Rifle-
I love the new GT, don't get me wrong, but I plan on keeping my next Stang for a very long time. Having a SE or Cobra is special, and the value of the car is greater.
I would also like to have more HP. Extra styling - paint job, seats etc. is a Plus!
Right now, all I want is for Ford to tell us their plans for the SE. It shouldn't be a big secret, the car is a downgrade from the Cobra!

Also, I didn't expect a SE in the beginning of this project, I just wanted to know if it was going to be an option in 2006 or late 2005.
Old 8/26/04, 01:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gotcha.

My guess is that Ford is going to milk this basic version for 12-18 months before releasing a Special Edition to the market. Once the market is saturated with entry level V8's like the GT, then they'll start adding stuff onto it.

Personally, I want the stealthy GT. If they had a 330hp Mach1, I'd only want the drivetrain, and none of the external stuff.
Old 8/26/04, 03:50 PM

and you can bet your last dollar that there will be another "Boss" Mustang before this decade is over.
Old 8/26/04, 04:05 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The company that owns the rights to "GT-40" asked for something like $1.5M up front and $1,000 per car. They were hoping to make $5m off the deal.

After Ford told them to stick it, the owner was whining in the media "That was only our opening offer, we thought Ford would make a counter offer".

Ford did the right thing. The greedy SOBs could have made some easy bucks. Rumors were that Ford offered them something around $500K. But instead they got zilch, which serves them right.

As far as trademarks go as someone else said, you have to renew them every 10 years. Once you have used the trademark it is pretty easy to keep renewing it. You have to submit proof that it has been used showing your exact trademark and the products it is (was) being used on. A lot of times companies will renew their trademarks even if they have never used them. Often the non-used renewals will slide through, but they can be challenged by another company. I have a friend who is a patent-copyright- tradmark lawyer, that info is from him.
Old 9/1/04, 09:13 PM
GT Member

No tease it what will be available as soon as they are available from the Ford dealer we are waiting to put one on order but they can't quote me a price so we can't start the pricing. if you have noticed only target prices are available. I will get some front shots up soon so you can see the rest of the car hey and it will have an optional shaker available also
Old 9/1/04, 09:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by teamshinoda@September 1, 2004, 9:16 PM
No tease it what will be available as soon as they are available from the Ford dealer we are waiting to put one on order but they can't quote me a price so we can't start the pricing. if you have noticed only target prices are available. I will get some front shots up soon so you can see the rest of the car hey and it will have an optional shaker available also
pics, we need pics, soon. I plan to buy either SVT, Tuner or SVT tuner. Show me the money, shinoda.
Old 9/1/04, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by M1Rifle+August 26, 2004, 9:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (M1Rifle @ August 26, 2004, 9:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-GTJOHN@August 26, 2004, 6:56 AM

Patience, Grasshopper!

What's special about a special edition that is released at the same time as the normal car? That's not a special edition, that's an option package.

You may be pissed, but I am amused. The '05 has 99% of the power and 110% of the handling and 150% of the interior quality of the '04 Mach1, if we can believe what we know about the car so far. There's your Mach1, on Job1.

If it is that important to you to have a Mach1 version of the '05, then wait. What's your personal goal or reason for having a Special Edition of the '05?

More power?
More vinyl and scoops and wings and useless cr_p?
More status with your buddies?
A.D.D.?[/b][/quote]
Yeah, like m1rifle said --- Patience Grasshopper! This is quite the car. I'm in the same boat. I like the 18's too. Also, going to hold off because I have a very quizzy feeling that you may just see a supercharged SE. Don't know why I'm getting that feeling but I am. Also, if the SE is'nt up to snuff, all the hype on the 05 might be quited down by then, and you might pick up your 05 a little cheaper. Either way you win. I know it's tempting, but I'm going to sit on the fence for awhile. Personally, I think there are better things to come . :scratch: :bang:
Old 9/1/04, 10:25 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by M1Rifle@August 26, 2004, 11:29 AM
That's a great paragraph. We all (myself especially) should realize this.

Thanks M1
Old 9/1/04, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Dan.

If you compare apples and apples, Ford is basically giving us a new body for the Mach 1 level of performance, for LESS than the Mach 1. I am making the argument that the new Mustang is, in effect, a better and cheaper buy than the same performance Stang from '04.

Just like the Corvette getting cheaper this year. Amazing. In 2005, we're getting MORE for LESS.

It's a good thing.

And when the special editions come out, all the better!
Old 4/16/07, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey thats a GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!! and put HOSS on the fender instead of BOSS? Hey wait. Thats already been done.......

07 HOSS
Originally Posted by pitpup
Every who hangs here knows that Shinoda owns the 'BOSS' name. But how did they get to own it? Did they do the original Bosses in the late 60s early 70s? If not, did they purchase the Boss name from Ford? What's up with that?

Because the Mach 1 has been done, I'd like to see the first SE from Ford be a Boss, but reading the threads, it does not sound like this can happen.

If all else fails... I say Ford uses the name HOSS... as in 'HOSS 281'? (High Output Standard Shift... NO automatics allowed, hehe)

And of course it would be available in Grabber Orange (spelled Valencia)... just my .02 cents.
Old 4/16/07, 06:36 PM
Cobra Member

Wow, it's deja vu all over again!
Old 4/17/07, 02:53 AM
Cobra Member

This must be a record for the longest period of time between posts (almost 2 years and 8 months)!

Or maybe not, if you check the last page of threads in this forum, you'll find a few closed ones from January 1st 1970!

I guess those people were true psychics, being able to discuss the 2005 Mustang!
Old 4/17/07, 06:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

And they must have mailed in their posts as the internet and personal computers werent even out yet!