2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

How about this way around the Warranty issue

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/06, 01:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I just read MM & FF issue about the warranty issue. It was good, but in the end it is up to the dealer to decide. Short of a blown engine, going to court is cost prohibitive and you start to factor a lawyers bill into it, oh man. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

I read where someone had a generator issue and the dealer declined to repair, even though it had a tsb on it. So I was wondering on how to work this issue better.

According to the article, the dealership makes more to do the non warranty repair, so it is a no brainer, plus no hassel with mother ford on their paperwork.

My idea,

Since Ford Racing has finally come out with new stuff for us. What if we had the dealership install the packages (ie: performance, suspension and so on) Would that not kind of tie them into it. Plus they are making some money for the install right off the bat. It is after all ford parts installed by a ford dealer on a ford.....am I out in left field here?

I know the down side it the cost to have them do it. and if they refuse to install it, could you not shop around for a dealer that would be more agreeable later on?

I for one like to do some garage work myself.....but this idea is for some who don't want to mod till 3 years are up.

Also face it, ford loosing money is going to get even tighter on fixing warranty stuff anyway. If you break something, it might be the price of being different after all.

You thoughts.
Old 4/21/06, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Pretty sure dealers don't make more. Either the customer pays them or Ford does. Same price as I see it.
Old 4/21/06, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

In answer to your question, FRPP is not actually considered to be a Ford part. Basically yoo can have it installed at a Ford delaership by a Ford tech and its's no differnet then any other after market part. I tried the same tactic when I first bought my 2006 and quickly found out the truth.
Old 4/21/06, 03:23 PM
Cobra R Member

well it was just a thought.

Guess we gotta live with it!
Old 4/21/06, 10:29 PM

You actually answered your own question...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>...but in the end it is up to the dealer to decide.[/b][/quote]

When I got my car from Tasca in RI (Feb, '06), the sales rep took me through the service department. As he explained it (no paperwork to back it up), Tasca will do pretty much any modifications I want under warranty. Obviously, it will be expensive to have modding done at a dealership, but he reiterated that they would honor the warranty. I do not know how far this offer extends, but he suggested installing a s/c under warranty, so I bet I can get away with quite alot. I did not get into specifics, but I assume he was talking FRPP.

Ultimately, the dealer makes the call.
Old 4/21/06, 10:42 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(06VistaGT @ April 22, 2006, 12:32 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Ultimately, the dealer makes the call.
[/b][/quote]

Which would make me assume they wouldn't deny a warranty claim. The dealer isn't losing any money by it, unless it takes the technician longer than specified by Ford to fix the problem. Everything short of a busted rod on a blown engine should be covered. Dealer figures, what the heck...we'll let Ford cover the bill. Unless, of course, Ford becomes wise to a crapload of suspicious claims at a certain dealership....
Old 4/22/06, 12:37 AM
Bullitt Member

According to the MM&FF article, the dealer makes more money billing the customer than the warranty. It said Ford pays them for a specified number of hours, and the number of hours ford pays them for is usually shorter then the amount of time it really takes them to do the work.

For Example Ford pays them for 3 hours on a job that takes 4 hours in reality. If we pay, we pay for that 4th hour, Ford doesnt
Old 4/22/06, 10:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
The mechanic is the one that loses out, he gets payed less time for warranty work.
Old 4/22/06, 12:34 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am gettin a Steeda CAI and SCT2 tune at my Ford dealership cuz they deal Steeda products and it will be under warranty [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 4/22/06, 12:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boltzman @ April 22, 2006, 8:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am gettin a Steeda CAI and SCT2 tune at my Ford dealership cuz they deal Steeda products and it will be under warranty [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Just curious if you don't mind me asking. How much is the dealership charging you for this?
Old 4/22/06, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

I'll be returning the car to stock if I have to take it in.

Now if it had a blower on it, then its no use to take it into the dealer.
Old 4/23/06, 07:05 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scramblr @ April 22, 2006, 1:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Just curious if you don't mind me asking. How much is the dealership charging you for this?
[/b][/quote]
300 for steeda cai, 400 for sct2 tuner, and 80.00 install. I could do it myself but I figure if there are any problems,it goes right to the dealer to get fixed
Old 4/24/06, 06:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bottomline, if Ford won't do a warranty repair, I'll take it to my local garage that I trust. Ford repair jobs are so inflated it's not even funny. So basically instead of making some money for a warranty repair, they'll lose my business for the repair all together.
Old 4/24/06, 06:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hatchttu @ April 22, 2006, 2:40 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
According to the MM&FF article, the dealer makes more money billing the customer than the warranty. It said Ford pays them for a specified number of hours, and the number of hours ford pays them for is usually shorter then the amount of time it really takes them to do the work.

For Example Ford pays them for 3 hours on a job that takes 4 hours in reality. If we pay, we pay for that 4th hour, Ford doesnt
[/b][/quote]

Well don't know if it'd work but if I were in that situation I'd offer to pay the extra time Ford does not cover. In the example above, getting 3 out of 4 hours covered under warranty and paying for just one hour beats taking it to my local mechanic and paying full boat.