2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hooliganism and the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/07, 12:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hi5.0
...and when the new Camaro and Challenger appear, history may end up repeating itself when both of them end up biting the dust and the Mustang soldiering on...
I was thinking the same thing!!
Old 5/9/07, 02:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is one of the best threads I've read, it was hard to stop reading even when it turned less "story" telling and into etiquette in the fast lane part. It is great getting the compliments and the looks, the car is just an amazing ride. Its the best car I've ever owned and still give the look back every time I get out of it.
Nice thread!!!!
Old 5/9/07, 06:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
How can the one-of-a-kind styling of a car - ITSELF based upon a 40 year-old classic design - be "out of date," particularly when it shines head & shoulders above every other repetitious, melted-bar-of-soap, vanilla bean Japanese clone on the road?

See any other cars out there that look remotely like the Mustang...?

Frakkin' automotive "journalists" are idiots. Wait till the Camaro shows up. They'll waste no time lavishing praise upon it and commenting about how "old" and "redundant" the Mustang is.
Yeah, they are kind of silly...I think the people who made that remark are going on the "sales are down, it's 2 years, must be old" way of thinking.

This car's lines are classic and will stand the test of time, in my opinion.
Old 5/9/07, 06:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rmays06
This is one of the best threads I've read, it was hard to stop reading even when it turned less "story" telling and into etiquette in the fast lane part. It is great getting the compliments and the looks, the car is just an amazing ride. Its the best car I've ever owned and still give the look back every time I get out of it.
Nice thread!!!!
+1 Great reading on this thread. It really is an experience driving this car. It actually makes me more aware when I'm driving. Not just from the attention it gets, but also the fact that that I can do more with it in certain "situations". I just make sure that I pick my moments of "hooliganism" carefully. I don't hesitate to use the power to get around slowpokes, but I always pull aside for idiots. If I'm in a situation where I can't go as fast as I want, I'll put some mellow music on, That seems to help calm me down, LOL. Funny thing is, in the 3 months I've had the Stang I haven't really been challenged yet. That's fine with me, I'm not itching for a race. It'll probably happen sooner ar later.
As far as the cops go, I haven't had any trouble at all. They definately look me over though. Maybe being an old responsible fart helps. I think they do profile a little. Lets see, 47 year old driving a new Mustang....OK. 20 year old driving Civic, erector set on trunk, unpainted ground efects, bumble bee muffler, decal on windshield, etc......better check him out.
Old 5/9/07, 10:27 AM
GT Member

Smile Let it go....

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
It's not always practical or possible to "get over." Should you endanger people by trying to make an unsafe transition at 80 MPH into the left lane just to satisfy some idiot who thinks he's playing out a scene from Smokey and the Bandit?

My point is that you have to use common sense and evaluate each situation individually, not show mindless courtesy to some moron if it is impractical or unsafe to do so.
We already detracted from this thread with our hijack...you obviously don't agree that courtesy is warranted (even when it is the law )
by yielding to faster moving traffic when in the left lane.

So just keep hogging that left lane and let the rest of us just blow by you in frustration.

In the meantime, take a breath, and let this side-thread die. Tell you what...I won't even respond if you want to get in the last word. How's that for courtesy...
Old 5/9/07, 10:36 AM
GT Member

And in the spirt of hooliganism stories....

There is a road near my home. When you come out of this store you have a few feet to the stop light. Crossing straight across the intersection, on the other side, it quickly narrows to 1 lane.

I always find it frustrating when someone who could easily get behind me, gets over to the right and tries to jump off the line and get in front of me. I mean, show some respect...it is a stang. It is not like I am in my wife's Yukon.

So the other day...this guy in some older, blown out stang (earlie 80's I think) does this. He is some punk kid..all slouched down in the seat.

I just ignore him...and when the light turned green I tromped his butt! Sure..he tried to keep up....but he couldn't...it is only a few hundred yards till it narrows to 1 lane...and he was forced to get behind me.

Not that I "street race"...it really was more a question of off the line torque for a short distance.

I did it more for that stupid slouch than anything...I hate that!! Do those kids realize that when you come up behind them they don't look cool...they just look like itty bitty guys struggling to see over the dash like little old ladies.

Of course...it is always crucial to check and make sure no one is running that light just before it turns green....which happens alot here!
Old 5/9/07, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

'Keep right except to pass'
'Slower traffic keep right'

Both of these signs are posted at regular intervals on BC highways. It seems pretty clear to me, that regardless of the posted limit, or the speed of overtaking traffic, drivers here are obligated to yield the left lane, as soon as it's safe to do so. In practice, I find that, for the most part, drivers outside of urban areas are far more likely to comply that those facing the increased traffic density of the city. Personally, I'd rather get out of the way, than be tailgated, and on more than one occasion, my behavior has allowed me to cruise though a speed trap, because the rabbit had already tripped the snare.

Now who's faster.
Old 5/9/07, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by keeper
In the meantime, take a breath, and let this side-thread die. Tell you what...I won't even respond if you want to get in the last word. How's that for courtesy...
+1

Back the the Hooliganism stories...those are fun!