2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hooliganism and the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/07, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Yep, there is always that angle, too. I agree, it's better to pull over. I was just pointing out that there is no legal precedent in North America that requires drivers to go faster than the posted limit while travelling in the left lane - so while people might be annoyed, they technically have no right to be.

This is not Germany.
I don't get annoyed. I just zip around them. That's why I got a car with lots of a power..Heh, heh..
Old 5/7/07, 06:11 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rebel73
ok, I'll chime in here with my tales of guilty high-velocity indulgence. There are some young punks across the street who drive a 2007 Civic Si who have been itching to test their cajones agains "that Mustang". Well, they recently got their chance, much to their regret. I don't advertise my Whipple charger, and needless to say, the Civic quickly became a speck in the distance. I don't get too many challenges around here nowadays...he he
The funniest part of that story is that you didn't even need the Whipple to immolate that Civic.
Old 5/7/07, 06:22 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Camulos
Out where I am at I think it is exactly opposite. CHP tag the imports MUCH more often than the muscle-cars and cut us a LOT of slack.

I was messing with some friends laaaate one night and was well in excess of 150mph in my modified 2001 GT (CHP clocked me at 158) when I noticed the flashing lights in the rear view mirror.

After i pulled over and he came up and asked me if i knew how fast i was going I replied " Fast enough to have just donated to the CHP their newest Police Interceptor?" with a sheepish, sickly grin.

I think the ghost-white and horrified look on my face keyed him in to that I was pretty sure I was going to jail. He laughed and walked back to his car to check my record. When that came up clean he walked back handed me my paperwork, wrote me a ticket for 80 in a 65, told me "nice car, it's faster than my GT, and have a good night".

I love the CHP. Moral to this story is my 2001 GT was fast.....my 2007 felt as fast "out of the box" as my 2001 and now it's modded too.

Don't be afraid to mod your car because you think Cops will pick on you. As long as you're not a total dumb*&$^@ when you drive you should be fine. Most of them have an appreciation for muscle-cars anyway and it might score you some points if you do get pulled over.
I think cops have an appreciation for these cars because, a) the car is an American icon; b) because the car has a long history of being in the movies, and more than once it's been driven by cops (Bullitt), private detectives (Spenser For Hire), etc, etc, etc. So they 'get' the whole Mustang zeitgeist thing.

That said, someone was riding on you shoulder the night you were doing 150 MPH + on a public highway. That CHP officer would have been well within his legal rights to haul you in. Look at it as a lesson learned and don't push your luck like that again.
Old 5/7/07, 06:45 PM
Cobra R Member

The funniest part of that story is that you didn't even need the Whipple to immolate that Civic.
Yah, I know!! My previous CAI/tune combo woulda been more than enough. But obviously they didn't know that! Lol. The funny thing is, when I got back into the neighborhood, I overheard one of his homies asking "He burned you???", like he was shocked...
Old 5/7/07, 07:35 PM
Closet American

I don't even think you needed the CAI or tune, frankly.
Old 5/7/07, 10:07 PM
Cobra R Member

I don't even think you needed the CAI or tune, frankly.
true...I kinda felt like a bully, truth be told...lol

but hey, they came looking for it...

Oh, there's a follow-up to this story for ya...my kid has a Power Wheels Mustang, and he was riding it down the sidewalk, when the Civic dude saw him an asked "Can your kid's Mustang spank me, too?" LMAO

At least he was a good sport about it.

Check out my boy's sweeeet ride!!

Old 5/7/07, 11:20 PM
FR500 Member

your kid's power wheels mustang would spank the civic - it makes more torque. LOL.
Old 5/8/07, 12:08 AM
V6 Member

I think cops have an appreciation for these cars because, a) the car is an American icon; b) because the car has a long history of being in the movies, and more than once it's been driven by cops (Bullitt), private detectives (Spenser For Hire), etc, etc, etc. So they 'get' the whole Mustang zeitgeist thing.

That said, someone was riding on you shoulder the night you were doing 150 MPH + on a public highway. That CHP officer would have been well within his legal rights to haul you in. Look at it as a lesson learned and don't push your luck like that again.
Yup and because of that incident I have never taken a car anywhere close to that fast on a non-racetrack/runway. It was in my younger, dumber days. It's an amusing story but not something I would recommend that anyone else do.
Old 5/8/07, 02:58 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Rebel73
true...I kinda felt like a bully, truth be told...lol

but hey, they came looking for it...

Oh, there's a follow-up to this story for ya...my kid has a Power Wheels Mustang, and he was riding it down the sidewalk, when the Civic dude saw him an asked "Can your kid spank me, too?" LMAO

At least he was a good sport about it.

Check out my boy's sweeeet ride!!

Too cute by half.
Old 5/8/07, 05:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
lol one of the newest platforms in the automotive industry is 'old'?
Yeah, I found that quote interesting, although by design and styling standards, it is going on 3 calendar years old. Historically in the 2-door coupe market, anything over 2 years old seems to get the label "old". I assume that is because the initial fervor wears off and supply/demand begin to balance.

Sometimes I think automotive press gets ahead of the general public because they many times see these cars well before they do. Consequently, their writing reflects that.
Old 5/8/07, 12:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Yeah, I found that quote interesting, although by design and styling standards, it is going on 3 calendar years old. Historically in the 2-door coupe market, anything over 2 years old seems to get the label "old". I assume that is because the initial fervor wears off and supply/demand begin to balance.

Sometimes I think automotive press gets ahead of the general public because they many times see these cars well before they do. Consequently, their writing reflects that.
When they say it is a new platform, they aren't talking about the body style or sheet metal. It means the underpinnings of the car, the guts, the frame if you will. The last mustang platform was first put into service in 1979 and lasted with only minor changes until 2004. The sheet metal changed drastically, but the basic platform was pretty much the same. An auto manufacturer might use a platform for multiple cars, and it might stay in service for 10+ years with styling changes only. So being 3 years old, it is still a very new platform. Styling is not so new anymore.
Old 5/8/07, 12:35 PM
GT Member

Amen!

Originally Posted by shwaco1967
I don't get annoyed. I just zip around them. That's why I got a car with lots of a power..Heh, heh..
Thank you!
Old 5/8/07, 12:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yet toyota uses a platform for decades and gets nothing but accolades

My niece has the powerwheels white/pink stang. My bro took the speed control out and we are going to laminate some rubber on the rear wheels for more traction. So she'll have a CAI and drag radials....Her favorite trick is 'do a burnout'. My brother stuck a summit sticker on it and she yelled at him to get that off her car. Not bad for a 4 year old
Old 5/8/07, 12:50 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Example >> Let's say you're going 80 MPH in the left lane (significantly faster than the posted limit), and some guy comes up behind you doing 110 MPH - do you still feel obligated to pull over, or do you immediately think, "What an idiot!" and NOT pull over to let him pass?
Actually i do get over. I could care less if he is going 110mph. Heck and a person that agressive are the type of people that will do anything to get past people. go in median swerve in tiny gaps jsut to get by. Not worth causing road rage that will endanager other people around me.
Old 5/8/07, 01:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Yet toyota uses a platform for decades and gets nothing but accolades

My niece has the powerwheels white/pink stang. My bro took the speed control out and we are going to laminate some rubber on the rear wheels for more traction. So she'll have a CAI and drag radials....Her favorite trick is 'do a burnout'. My brother stuck a summit sticker on it and she yelled at him to get that off her car. Not bad for a 4 year old
yah, I hate the lack of traction with the lame plastic tires, so I bought a set of "traction bands" and I'm going to apply them soon. BTW, my boy's Stang was originally blue/white stripes. It's a custom paint job.
Old 5/8/07, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

That Power Wheels Mustang is great!
Old 5/8/07, 03:38 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Knight
Actually i do get over. I could care less if he is going 110mph. Heck and a person that agressive are the type of people that will do anything to get past people. go in median swerve in tiny gaps jsut to get by. Not worth causing road rage that will endanager other people around me.
It's not always practical or possible to "get over." Should you endanger people by trying to make an unsafe transition at 80 MPH into the left lane just to satisfy some idiot who thinks he's playing out a scene from Smokey and the Bandit?

My point is that you have to use common sense and evaluate each situation individually, not show mindless courtesy to some moron if it is impractical or unsafe to do so.
Old 5/8/07, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
When they say it is a new platform, they aren't talking about the body style or sheet metal. It means the underpinnings of the car, the guts, the frame if you will. The last mustang platform was first put into service in 1979 and lasted with only minor changes until 2004. The sheet metal changed drastically, but the basic platform was pretty much the same. An auto manufacturer might use a platform for multiple cars, and it might stay in service for 10+ years with styling changes only. So being 3 years old, it is still a very new platform. Styling is not so new anymore.
Exactly my point - it's not the chassis that is now considered old, it is the styling as rendered in sheetmetal!

I do believe the automotive press, as commenting on the car being old, were making reference to styling.
Old 5/8/07, 10:35 PM
Closet American

Exactly my point - it's not the chassis that is now considered old, it is the styling as rendered in sheetmetal!

I do believe the automotive press, as commenting on the car being old, were making reference to styling.
How can the one-of-a-kind styling of a car - ITSELF based upon a 40 year-old classic design - be "out of date," particularly when it shines head & shoulders above every other repetitious, melted-bar-of-soap, vanilla bean Japanese clone on the road?

See any other cars out there that look remotely like the Mustang...?

Frakkin' automotive "journalists" are idiots. Wait till the Camaro shows up. They'll waste no time lavishing praise upon it and commenting about how "old" and "redundant" the Mustang is.
Old 5/8/07, 11:13 PM
FR500 Member

...and when the new Camaro and Challenger appear, history may end up repeating itself when both of them end up biting the dust and the Mustang soldiering on...

Quick Reply: Hooliganism and the Mustang