2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hooliganism and the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/07, 03:43 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by keeper
You are talking about apples and oranges...what does breaking one law have to do with obeying another?

That is like saying, "Sure I steal cars...but I don't cheat on my taxes."

If you are impeding traffic by blocking the left lane you are breaking the law. Period.

Now, we all know that few people go the limit, much less under it, but if a cop spotted you coming up behind someone in the left lane at 90 MPH, and the person in front of you was only going 60 MPH, who do you think the cop would pull over - the guy obeying the limit who hasn't pulled over into the right lane and allowed you to pass...or YOU for flagrantly violating the speed limit at 90 MPH?

Interesting you bring that up...my mother (a flagrant abuser) has been known to block the left lane in Atlanta traffic. One day, as she was going 80 in the 55 mph left lane, a cop pulled her over. He said, "Did you realize that you are illegally impeding traffic. You need to get out of the left lane."

One of the rare examples of usefull traffic inforcement.

But sill, she keeps parking her butt in the left lane, blocking traffic, endangering others, being rude and inconsiderate. I love her, but her driving really sucks.
I guess you didn't properly grasp what I was saying. As to the example you cited about your mother, I find it hard to believe that any responsible officer would have pulled her over for "blocking traffic" as opposed to flagrant speeding.
Old 5/6/07, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was out driving tonight and a beat up pickup pulled up next to me and wanted to race. My first thought was give me a break! Next, I thought it would be fun to just blow them away when the light changes. Then this thread popped into my head and the fact the kids were in the back seat. The light changed and I slowly accelerated away instead.
Old 5/6/07, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cmplxlgc
It's actually the discrimination that gets to me, you could have a civic, caravan, truck and a mustang going down a 4lane highway - and 9/10 times cops bag the stang.

- thank you mr. cop for wasting my time cause of what I drive.
y'know what's strange?

in Southern California, I think it's the opposite.
Ricer looking civics, evos, wrxs get pulled over more than mustangs or other domestics. I've been driving without a front license plate and so far so good.While I hear stories of evo's getting pulled over for their wings, turbos, and intercooler piping, which are all stock. And corvette's never have front license plates and there seem to be no problem with that.

either that or i've been very lucky
Old 5/6/07, 10:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've got to chime in here too...

I've had a LOT of cars over the years - suffice it to say I'm certifiably "Car Crazy" and I've been driving for 37 years!. The actual number is north of 100 different ones and a LOT of them were performance cars. They included: 3 different '70 Chevelle SS's, two '70 Z/28's, two '69 Chevelle SS's, a '69 Hurst Olds, numerous LT-1 and LS1 Camaros including a '97 SS, a bunch of 442's, three different IROC Z/28s', Trans Ams, Formula 350 Firebirds, and on and on and on and on. Oh, did I mention three different '87 Buick GN's AND an '87 GNX (#281)? A lot of these cars were built to run so I've had the good fortune to have owned and driven a lot of great automobiles.

But - until this car, I have NEVER owned a Mustang! Hard to believe, huh?

My last previous 'performance' ride was an '06 Pontiac GTO in Spice Red (Dark Maroon) - talk about 'being under the radar screen'! Man, you might as well be invisible! That car had a LOT of power but I never had a person challenge me at the light, much less drool over the car.

That all changed with my new '07 Grabber Orange GT. Man, DID it EVER change!

Every intersection involves someone staring, pointing or waving! Every stop at a store or gas station involves discussion with someone! It is unreal! I haven't had anyone challenge me yet but I know it's a matter of time. Here's an example of the attention this car gets...

I came up to an intersection on my way to work Friday. I had only had the car a couple of days and had not put a lot of miles on it. When I pulled to a stop waiting for the light, directly in front of me were three vehicles: a car of some type at the light itself, a F150, and directly in front of me was a guy on a motorcycle.

I had no more than pulled to a stop and was just sitting there waiting on the light when I see the guy on the bike do a double take in his mirror looking at my car and then he whips his head around like the girl from "The Exorcist" to take a good look at the nose of the G/O. I can see he's grinning and he gives me the . I figured that was the end of it - but it wasn't!

He then beeps his horn at the guy in the truck in front of him, apparently knowing who he was. He finally gets HIS attention and motions twice for him to look back at the Mustang! Now, the light is beginning to cycle through...

The guy in the truck JUMPS OUT OF THE CAB(!) and takes a good look at the Mustang and HE gives me TWO ! By now, the light has changed and we are green to go but no one can move because the guy in the truck is standing on the pavement!

I wave and nod as the truck guy gets back in. Beside me to my left, cars are pulling up in the turning lane and two of THEM honk and wave! I could NOT believe it!

If you don't want to be looked at - do NOT (I repeat) do NOT buy a Mustang! It is incredible...

I LOVE this car!!!
Old 5/6/07, 10:53 PM
Closet American

Crazy, ain't it?

And yet someone in a recent article somewhere accused the new Mustang of "getting old," or "aging," or some other such nonsense.

Idiot.

Old 5/6/07, 11:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Crazy, ain't it?

And yet someone in a recent article somewhere accused the new Mustang of "getting old," or "aging," or some other such nonsense.

Idiot.

I could not agree more with you. The author is out of touch!

I remember when Car & Driver gave the new Mustang a "Gotta Have It" factor when they were comparing it against the GTO and to be honest, I could not begin to fathom it.

But NOW? I GET it!!! This car just makes you FEEL something - even when you are just looking at - that no other car I've ever owned makes me feel. I can't explain it but I'm pretty sure most of America gets it too...

The Mustang IS as American as it gets. Sorry Chevy, but it's true.

Old 5/6/07, 11:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
I'm guilty.

I know the CAR is fast, but at my age, I don't have the b-lls (or stupidity, whatever you want to call it) to follow through.

I got "into it" with one fast Civic SI a couple of weeks ago. I was leading him by about a car length through first and up the revs through second. If I put it to the floor and hit red line I could have beaten him. But all of a sudden I realized we were at 60 mpg up a 40 mph blvd. and I backed off. He didn't. I'm sure over there on the Civic forums he's posting how he beat a Mustang GT. That "kid" gene is a dangerous one. I don't know about you, but the last thing I need is to get stopped for a "speed contest".
ok, I'll chime in here with my tales of guilty high-velocity indulgence. There are some young punks across the street who drive a 2007 Civic Si who have been itching to test their cajones agains "that Mustang". Well, they recently got their chance, much to their regret. I don't advertise my Whipple charger, and needless to say, the Civic quickly became a speck in the distance. I don't get too many challenges around here nowadays...he he
Old 5/7/07, 12:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by n00bstang
y'know what's strange?

in Southern California, I think it's the opposite.
Ricer looking civics, evos, wrxs get pulled over more than mustangs or other domestics. I've been driving without a front license plate and so far so good.While I hear stories of evo's getting pulled over for their wings, turbos, and intercooler piping, which are all stock. And corvette's never have front license plates and there seem to be no problem with that.

either that or i've been very lucky
yah, I've had the opposite, cops pull up next to compliment my car...he he...alot of cops seem to dig Stangs
Old 5/7/07, 12:20 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by cmplxlgc
It's actually the discrimination that gets to me, you could have a civic, caravan, truck and a mustang going down a 4lane highway - and 9/10 times cops bag the stang.

- thank you mr. cop for wasting my time cause of what I drive.
Out where I am at I think it is exactly opposite. CHP tag the imports MUCH more often than the muscle-cars and cut us a LOT of slack.

I was messing with some friends laaaate one night and was well in excess of 150mph in my modified 2001 GT (CHP clocked me at 158) when I noticed the flashing lights in the rear view mirror.

After i pulled over and he came up and asked me if i knew how fast i was going I replied " Fast enough to have just donated to the CHP their newest Police Interceptor?" with a sheepish, sickly grin.

I think the ghost-white and horrified look on my face keyed him in to that I was pretty sure I was going to jail. He laughed and walked back to his car to check my record. When that came up clean he walked back handed me my paperwork, wrote me a ticket for 80 in a 65, told me "nice car, it's faster than my GT, and have a good night".

I love the CHP. Moral to this story is my 2001 GT was fast.....my 2007 felt as fast "out of the box" as my 2001 and now it's modded too.

Don't be afraid to mod your car because you think Cops will pick on you. As long as you're not a total dumb*&$^@ when you drive you should be fine. Most of them have an appreciation for muscle-cars anyway and it might score you some points if you do get pulled over.
Old 5/7/07, 12:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
It's crazy that the S197's still turn heads after being out for 3 years.

x2!!!Thats so Trueeee!
Old 5/7/07, 12:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Von Bek
In the eight months or so I've had my GT, I haven't had one person try on the street. I'm stuck having fun with my friend who has a 05 GTO, so that isn't too much fun, lol.
How do our cars stack up against the GTO?
Old 5/7/07, 12:32 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by StangPower05
I beat what I believe to be a stock GTO but I had some mods at the time (91 race tune from Bamachips, JLT2 CAI, and Steeda underdrive pulleys).

Wasn't really a full-on from the stop race either, we were both going about 35 when we punched it. I pulled ahead by about 3/4 of a car length and we both backed off around 120mph, gave eachother the and went about our business.
Old 5/7/07, 12:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rebel73
yah, I've had the opposite, cops pull up next to comlpliment my car...he he...alot of cops seem to dig Stangs

Thats the truth! I pulled into a parking lot once, wound up parking right next to a state trooper car. I went into the store and got what i had to get and on the way out, right as i was backing out of the spot, the 2 state troopers were walking back to there car and 1 proceeded to put his hand out telling me to stop. Now, im like "what did i do know "is my car too loud or what". So, they come to my window, and to my suprise they proceed to first: compliment my car and its exhaust note, then start asking questions about the car. Then one of the troopers then told me that he owned a 01 GT but was looking into buying an 05+ but had to "convince his wife" into buying 1. I then pulled away thinking to myself "Sweet, 2 state troopers just complimented my car" How cool!! LOL, Just thought id post my story!
Old 5/7/07, 12:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Camulos
I beat what I believe to be a stock GTO but I had some mods at the time (91 race tune from Bamachips, JLT2 CAI, and Steeda underdrive pulleys).

Wasn't really a full-on from the stop race either, we were both going about 35 when we punched it. I pulled ahead by about 3/4 of a car length and we both backed off around 120mph, gave eachother the and went about our business.
Offhand, you dont know the year of the GTO do you. Becasue the 04 came with the 5.7L 350hp and the 05-06 came with the 6.0L 400hp
Old 5/7/07, 12:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

cool stories everyone
really inspiring.
makes me appreciate the stang that much more.

after parking it, i always find myself staring at it, thinking "wow, what a sweet ride", haha.
Old 5/7/07, 12:45 AM
V6 Member

I think it was an 04. It didnt have the styling changes of the 06 which is why i figured it was stock. And if im not mistaken don't the 06's come with some sort of badge on the side or rear that says 6.0L or something like that? I would have to look at some pictures to be sure.

Couldn't tell from the color because it was black and late evening.

Hope that helps.

**after looking at some pictures im pretty sure it was an 04. It had no 6.0L badge on the back, still had hood scoops which is why im not 100% sure**
Old 5/7/07, 12:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Camulos
I think it was an 04-05. It didnt have the styling changes of the 06 which is why i figured it was stock. And if im not mistaken don't the 06's come with some sort of badge on the side that says 6.0L or something like that? I would have to look at some pictures to be sure.

Couldn't tell from the color because it was black and late evening.

Hope that helps.
Well which ever engine it had in it, it was still a sweet kill!
Old 5/7/07, 11:28 AM
V6 Member

Can I get some absolution for confessing my sins? I too have been reserved but as of late find myself with an itch to unleash the beast. I too have resisted the stupid remarks of a Subaru WRX STI when he pulled up next to me with my top down and screamed “Hey, that thing got a hemi inside”. I tried in vain to ignore. But at last he was no match for the embarrassing summary of numbers based on my car and his car. His comic routine (in front of his women, maybe sister) changed quickly and he became my quick best friend. Thank god he had somewhere else to go. To the dodge truck, who could not contain themselves? Give me a break guys I’m on a date with the wife, clocks ticking... But to the young mustang lover, whose daddy bought him a nice V6 mustang and added dual exhaust you are no match for the real thing. It was the final straw that broke the camels back. It served nothing because I know it was a mute point. Boy did if feel good to unleash the beast. But know it served nothing and I have learned my lesson.

Can I get an Amen?

Thanks for the fantastic thread.
Old 5/7/07, 12:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by StangPower05
From personal experience, and this is for the 6.0L, a stock 197 can get the jump off the line and be ahead, because they don't launch very well. But at 60+, the GTO will start to walk away from you. Of course, adding the mods changes this equation.
Old 5/7/07, 12:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Crazy, ain't it?

Idiot.

lol one of the newest platforms in the automotive industry is 'old'?

Quick Reply: Hooliganism and the Mustang