2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hooliganism and the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/07, 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmplxlgc
What I find even more amazing, is that there doesn't even have to be any "ford" or "mustang" markings on the outside of the car. People just know.....and that's pretty cool....
I believe that was Team Mustang's thought exactly
Old 4/29/07, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cmplxlgc
It's actually the discrimination that gets to me, you could have a civic, caravan, truck and a mustang going down a 4lane highway - and 9/10 times cops bag the stang.

- thank you mr. cop for wasting my time cause of what I drive.

Hey, its one of the risk's you took when you bought it!
Old 4/29/07, 09:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

AWESOME story hollywood north gt. glad to hear u beat his 100k car with that fine piece of american muscle. but ill never understand ppl racing with kids in the car. just plain stupid.
Old 4/29/07, 10:38 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slipnotovk
but ill never understand ppl racing with kids in the car. just plain stupid.
Yeah, it was stupid, and I was stupid for egging him on.

Won't happen again...probably.
Old 4/30/07, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT

Ya, and I believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny as well! No need to apologize - just be smart about when and where.

Here in So Cal I get the gamut of people that want to try me at a light: Ricers, Dodge trucks, a jacked up Excursion (WTF?!?) Toyota Camrys, and the like.

I get people that tailgate me on the freeway or speed up to prevent me from changing lanes on the freeway presumably because they don't want to be "beat" by a 'Stang.

For the most part I'll let them go (the Excursion guy actually flipped me off when he got in front of me!) because I don't need my car impounded for street racing or get in to a crash.

However... if it's a REALLY ridiculous "Type R" ricer with a particularly obnoxious fart cannon and NO ONE is around... I do believe a lesson is in order... sometimes...
Old 4/30/07, 11:41 AM
Cobra Member

I get all types trying to race me or revving on me at stoplights.... Grandmas in PT Cruisers, lots of kids in riced out imports, SUVs with 20" spinners, lifted 4X4 pickups with big tires, old musclecars...

One time I pulled up to a stoplight and a beat up lowered toyota pickup pulls up next to me. The truck starts hopping up and down on it's hydraulics and the driver looks over at me with this " I'm SOOO much cooler than you!" look on his face....

On the highway, simply passing a vehicle in another lane in my Mustang is a "challenge" to them: I'll be in the middle lane of a three lane highway with the cruise control set at 70 or so and pass a contractor's van going about 55 in the right lane. The guy in the van will see the Mustang go by, then floor it to catch up and blow by me at 90....
Old 4/30/07, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

In the month that I've had my car, I've had more trucks and SUV's gas it next to me than anything else. I'm pretty sure they just want to see my car get up and go and get to hear it as well, but it's getting old quick. I've only had a couple of cars try to mess with me, and it's always either in traffic or in an inopportune place. My GT needs to stretch her legs!
Old 4/30/07, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
Ya, and I believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny as well! No need to apologize - just be smart about when and where.

Here in So Cal I get the gamut of people that want to try me at a light: Ricers, Dodge trucks, a jacked up Excursion (WTF?!?) Toyota Camrys, and the like.

I get people that tailgate me on the freeway or speed up to prevent me from changing lanes on the freeway presumably because they don't want to be "beat" by a 'Stang.

For the most part I'll let them go (the Excursion guy actually flipped me off when he got in front of me!) because I don't need my car impounded for street racing or get in to a crash.

However... if it's a REALLY ridiculous "Type R" ricer with a particularly obnoxious fart cannon and NO ONE is around... I do believe a lesson is in order... sometimes...
Well said. Calamity behind the wheel is a pre-requisite to staying out of trouble.

If the Guy in the 740i had any sense, he would have not challenged to race with kids in his car! Second, if it were me, I would gesture my hand to just "brush him off". In a sense that for one, he is not worth my gas and for two, I am not about to condone his poor judgement in driving.

The ricers, yes, understanding their futile "fly by's" are condusive to better enjoying One's drive.

The one situation that I have to watch for is the high powered sports cars after me in the Shelby and just wanting to get me going to "see the car go". Almost like they are trying to trap you into dropping a gear and as soon as they act up they back off and don't continue their challenge. Revving to anything near redline in this car while in a power gear and One better be ready to have lots of road ahead and be in a safe situation. (this means almost no where on public roads).

The higher the HP, the more calm and responsible One needs to be. Believe me, no one has been made more fun of in the Street GTGs as I for not "running my car". And I know very well what 140+ mph feels like and even a 175 mph...... If I were to "run it", best it be in the proper place in a controlled environment. As commonly said; - "Keep it on the Track".
Old 4/30/07, 02:32 PM
V6 Member

For all you SoCal people I played with an older 2001 Gt on the grapevine once! That was theeeee most fun i've had in my car. His car was modded out reaaal nice. Loud as ****! But then we passed a honda. O man you can only imagine what that did. You could tell his car was struggling to get up to 6000 ft!! We were just cruising along! Gotta love the Pony Power
Old 4/30/07, 03:28 PM
V6 Member

Agree that the GT brings out the "hooliganism." My friends have started using the term "hoonage" to describe it as well.

What major hoonage....or....Did you see that #####ing hoon?

We adopted it from an auto site called jalopnik.

http://jalopnik.com/cars/hoon-of-the...nth-256302.php
Old 4/30/07, 05:57 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stangette
Well said. Calamity behind the wheel is a pre-requisite to staying out of trouble.
Actually, "calamity" is what can happen if you get into trouble.

Originally Posted by Stangette
Revving to anything near redline in this car while in a power gear and One better be ready to have lots of road ahead and be in a safe situation. (this means almost no where on public roads).
Well, based upon my experience to date, I think the same applies to the GT, too. It's got plenty of get-up-and-go even with 300 HP.
Old 4/30/07, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I always get the clowns or clownettes that try to push me. They're so close to my rear bumper that I can't even see the headlights. Traffic comes to an abrupt halt in front of me, I hit my brakes and I almost get rear ended by these idiots. Then the driver has this stupid looking smile on their face like; "Whew, almost!"
If they pull along side me and try me, I just cruise, look cool and and their a** straight on "nevermind".
Old 5/1/07, 12:55 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Point of the story >> these cars are fast even bone stock.
Y'know, a fellow I really don't know, but consider wise in the ways of automobiles, said on another site, while in a discussion about the current ****ing contest among manufacturers as to who can produce the most HP (Blue Devil, next gen Viper, Super Snake) and how "enthusiasts" consider the GT Mustang slow, indicated that the GT Mustang is about 2 to 2.5 seconds faster than the average for automobiles in general.

He said, think about that, 2 to 2.5 seconds faster than the average and to put that into perspective would be like a Mustang GT owner or former Camaro owner stepping up to a Z06 or Ford GT and thats just the entry level V8 Mustang. Its not the top of the line, or the middle of the road. Its what you get when you buy a 300hp GT Mustang.
Old 5/1/07, 07:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Actually, "calamity" is what can happen if you get into trouble.

Well, based upon my experience to date, I think the same applies to the GT, too. It's got plenty of get-up-and-go even with 300 HP.
Yes, been driving the V8 Mustang for two years and have the control thing down pretty good with that one. Then, apply the same car but going to a larger engine and / higher power output, not so well controlled. True too, once you get them moving at speed, it feels like they want to go even more as the momentum builds.

Tailgaters; - many ways to deal with them. I do it in stages. Upon rapid approach behind you, bump the brakes gently a cpl times. The change in lighting usually gets their attention and most times they slow down.

If that does not work and they are still approaching too fast and also too close, blip the e-lights.

Leave space ahead of you to edge forwards as the third approach to the issue.

Fourth, it would involve a polite back off motion. At this point, they usually start to get irate as they are too stupified to realize that they are doing anything wrong or even what they are doing. So, then I call one of my friends in the Law and they get spoken to just a few miles down the road. Not to get them fines or anything, just to make them become safer drivers.

In the early times of living in a metro area, tailgaters got to be very hard for me to work with until you learn to deal with them politely and without them noticing. This is the best way and accomplishes your own goals of staying safe and enjoying your drive. Many metro areas are now considering laws against it and instituting them with traffic cameras. There has also been talk among the Lawmakers of making for mandatory high school driver's ed and no one can get their first drivers license without it. i.e. No more learning at home with parents, etc.
Old 5/1/07, 10:04 AM
GT Member

Tailgaters...

I just don't seem to have that problem...because when someone comes up behind me going faster...I get over to the right.

Simple...and the law.

Even if I am going 110 and someone comes up behind me going 115...I get over. And that does happen here in Atlanta.

As far as calling the cops because someone is trying to give you the "hint" that you are blocking the flow of traffic....and I come from a long line of Irish cops...that is just not cool.

I'm just sayin...
Old 5/1/07, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by keeper
I just don't seem to have that problem...because when someone comes up behind me going faster...I get over to the right.

Simple...and the law.

Even if I am going 110 and someone comes up behind me going 115...I get over. And that does happen here in Atlanta.

As far as calling the cops because someone is trying to give you the "hint" that you are blocking the flow of traffic....and I come from a long line of Irish cops...that is just not cool.

I'm just sayin...

What if there are five lanes and each one is bumper to bumper? Where do you go when you are already going 20 over like everyone else? (There is no pavement to be seen between the cars.) Law says stay in the "Driving Lane" except to pass, but this is not always what the situation is.

If you get rear ended here in this city, you are lucky if they file a report and most times the one who did it will never get caught. Even, if, you get their plate number. Best is to [avoid the situation] IF you can since it will be too late when damage is done and the Law tells me there is nothing they can do.
Old 5/1/07, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeeeaaaaaaaa........whenever someone eggs me on, id have to say 95% of the time ill go for it. unless im half asleep, drunk or just not feelin it. racing and mustangs will always go hand and hand. not to mention envy!
Old 5/1/07, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

when ppl are up my a$$ at a light i either give them a few res so they can taste it or i will flicker the taillights. the best is when it turns out to be some punk in a civic that pulls next to me and wants to go. i always do and when they lose (and most do but i wont say i win them all) they are no longer anywhere near my tail

oh and 200th post. booyah
Old 5/1/07, 04:17 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slipnotovk
id have to say 95% of the time ill go for it. unless im half asleep, drunk or just not feelin it...
my, how intelligent of you
Old 5/1/07, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by keeper

Simple...and the law.

I'm just sayin...
Oh I know Atlanta too well.. But this happens on the city streets. It's crazy. On the freeway I have no problems. Out on the open road, I just set my cruise on 70 and seemingly everyone passes me.
I honed my driving skills as a young man while stationed in Nurnberg, Germany. Over there, slow lane means slow lane and likewise for the passing lane. I zip to about 85 to pass a slow poke and especially big rigs, then get my tail right back in the slow lane doing 70.

Quick Reply: Hooliganism and the Mustang