2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hood Pins Question

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/24, 08:01 PM
GT Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Hood Pins Question

Good evening everyone.

I have some questions about hood pins. I am hoping to purchase a new fiberglass hood for my 2005 mustang and want to get a set of hood pins to make sure the hood stays in place at all times. I just started looking so I'm not sure which ones I want or even all the ones that are available. I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys that have already gone down this path.

What did you get and why?
Would you get the same set again?

This is the style hood that I want to get or something similar (Pic 1). I think there are a couple different variations on it which is another discussion. But with this where is the best place to install the pins? From some videos I've watched for installing the pins the best location in my opinion is the ones that attach a bracket to the radiator support. But if you do that with this hood that pits the pins in the opening of the scoop (Pic 2). I believe the best place would be on the outer most part of the hood (Pic 3) where I've seen some of the Shelby's have them. The question is where do they mound under the hood? I'm guessing that they are mounted in place of the hood bumpers? If so do you relocate the bumpers? Can anyone share a picture of this setup?

I have no idea what set I want but I think I want something low profile like these in this picture but I don't know the name of them.

These are inexpensive (no offense) kinda boring. Also dose the wire cause any issues wearing on the paint?

I do like these a lot but they are quite expensive and I can see getting a lot of grief over the fact they say "Shelby" and my car isn't a Shelby. "POSER! **COUGH**"

I came across these and they are kinda cool. They have the low profile I was looking at. Has anyone tried these?

I welcome all your input on what you have, haw they are to install, how they have held up, and any other pin sets I may have missed.

Thank you in advance for your participation in this topic.

Dirk

Last edited by dirkpitt289; 3/6/24 at 08:04 PM.
Old 3/6/24, 08:57 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Although they prevent the hood from unlatching while driving under race/track conditions, they require cutting/drilling holes into the hood which I wouldn't feel comfortable enough in doing, knowing that I might mess something up.... Therefore, I don't think I would have enough confidence in my installation skills when it comes to taking on a hood pin project...
Old 3/7/24, 05:44 AM
GT Member

I've watched quite a few videos on this and while it seems pretty straight forward I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing it myself. I will be handing this task off to the body shop so they can do it when they install the hood. So this is more of me investigating whats right for me and my car.
Old 3/7/24, 10:46 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Those YouTube videos sure do appear to make it look so straight forward and easy, considering the installations are done by folks who have the experience skills and knowledge to back it up... What they don't tell you is the measurements have to 100% spot on, otherwise you're looking at having to get another hood and start from scratch all over again... Therefore, I would feel much more comfortable, just as you are in relying upon an experienced body shop to perform the installation, knowing it will be done right, the first time...
Old 3/7/24, 02:55 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I had the ones in the second pic on my SGT. Had one that was problematic, the ring would pop out of the pin when you flipped it open and was a bear to get back together. Bent and adjusted till it got a little better.

Shelby sent me a new set of pins but the lanyard is riveted to the core support and I never wanted to drill it out and rivet the new one in. Just started being really careful not to open the ring too far, just enough to get the pin out.

Never had a problem with the lanyard on the paint, they were coated in plastic or silicone. Plus I only put 9k miles on it in 3 years, so I can't speak about long term.

I have the 3rd pic set on my current car. Oddly enough I had an issue with one of them as well. Sticking, not wanting to fully release when you popped it. After some adjustments and advice from Paul on here I have it pretty much fixed.
Old 3/7/24, 02:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I had the ones in the second pic on my SGT. Had one that was problematic, the ring would pop out of the pin when you flipped it open and was a bear to get back together. Bent and adjusted till it got a little better.

Shelby sent me a new set of pins but the lanyard is riveted to the core support and I never wanted to drill it out and rivet the new one in. Just started being really careful not to open the ring too far, just enough to get the pin out.

Never had a problem with the lanyard on the paint, they were coated in plastic or silicone. Plus I only put 9k miles on it in 3 years, so I can't speak about long term.

I have the 3rd pic set on my current car. Oddly enough I had an issue with one of them as well. Sticking, not wanting to fully release when you popped it. After some adjustments and advice from Paul on here I have it pretty much fixed.
Thank you for that information, Rather
Old 3/7/24, 04:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
I have the "Shelby" ones on mine, although they don't say "Shelby" on them. They're made by Scott Drake, but pretty sure that's where Shelby sources them from. I went with them because 1) I liked how they were set further apart than some of the other options I saw at the time, and because 2) Shelby assured me they'd work with my CS6 hood.

Pics of them on my CS6 hood here:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...3/#post6192823

UPR also makes some, but they mount to the upper radiator supports, so they're closer together and further back than the Shelby ones (I didn't like the look)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPR-2005-20...1775258?_ul=IN

There's also a company called Aerocatch that a bunch of people here have used. Pretty flush and modern looking compared to the Shelby/Scott Drake style