2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Highest markup I've seen so far...

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/05, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford should do something about greedy dealers because from a long term strategy perspective, it is defeating Ford's drive to improve as a car manufacturer. The damage to Ford's brand image and reputation by such behavior is greater than any short term gain on a single vehicle sale. The old saying is, if you have a bad experience, you tell an average of 12 - 15 people about it whereas a good experience only nets an average of 1 to 2 positive comments. Therefore, gouging Mustang customers on price will only create excessive negative feedback for Ford and our favorite pony car.

I'm not alone in stating that because of my enthusiasm for Mustangs, I have always purchased other Ford products for my family. While Ford wants to attract new buyers to the fold, selling to existing Ford owners is MUCH easier than converting. I understand the theory of supply and demand but if Ford truly cares about selling cars for another 100 years, they better deal with price gouging dealers now. That applies to all car models, not just the Mustang. Just my $.02 on the subject.

I did see a '05 GT 'Vert at Fort Mill Ford in Fort Mill SC with a $5,500 market adjustment. I told the salesperson and the couple looking at the car they were insane to pay over MSRP for the car. I could recommend a dealer that didn't charge ridiculous markups. I was then politely asked to leave the dealership by the sales manager.
Old 8/31/05, 02:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by MustangFanatic@August 31, 2005, 2:53 PM
Ford should do something about greedy dealers because from a long term strategy perspective, it is defeating Ford's drive to improve as a car manufacturer. The damage to Ford's brand image and reputation by such behavior is greater than any short term gain on a single vehicle sale. The old saying is, if you have a bad experience, you tell an average of 12 - 15 people about it whereas a good experience only nets an average of 1 to 2 positive comments. Therefore, gouging Mustang customers on price will only create excessive negative feedback for Ford and our favorite pony car.

I'm not alone in stating that because of my enthusiasm for Mustangs, I have always purchased other Ford products for my family. While Ford wants to attract new buyers to the fold, selling to existing Ford owners is MUCH easier than converting. I understand the theory of supply and demand but if Ford truly cares about selling cars for another 100 years, they better deal with price gouging dealers now. That applies to all car models, not just the Mustang. Just my $.02 on the subject.

I did see a '05 GT 'Vert at Fort Mill Ford in Fort Mill SC with a $5,500 market adjustment. I told the salesperson and the couple looking at the car they were insane to pay over MSRP for the car. I could recommend a dealer that didn't charge ridiculous markups. I was then politely asked to leave the dealership by the sales manager.
The problem is that are state franchise laws that specifically prohibit the manufacturer from setting the actual "selling" price of the vehicle. They are required to set an MSRP but the final selling price is set by the dealer. In other words, Ford can't force the dealer to do squat when it comes to the price of the car. You can thank your state governments for that!
Old 8/31/05, 03:40 PM

Yeah back in April when i was ordering my GT convt. Beverly Hills Ford had the one with everything i wanted with a sticker of 44,000 on it. They said it would be gone in a few days for sure at that price. i must have had idiot written on my forehead or something. I immediately walked out and ordered from a dearborn dealer on z-plan.

oh and that car had no aftermarket wheels or parts of any kind. They had one that did that was even more ridiculous.
Old 8/31/05, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

One of the Ford dealers near me has 3 used 05 GTs on their lot for 32,995 each.One of them doesnt have any options on it at all and the other 2 are fully loaded.The crazy thing is that they have a fully loaded 06 GT on the lot for sticker.I asked the salesman about it and he said that the 05 was better than the 06.
Old 8/31/05, 06:29 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stupidity is it's own reward
Old 8/31/05, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by mystic cobra@August 31, 2005, 5:32 PM
One of the Ford dealers near me has 3 used 05 GTs on their lot for 32,995 each.One of them doesnt have any options on it at all and the other 2 are fully loaded.The crazy thing is that they have a fully loaded 06 GT on the lot for sticker.I asked the salesman about it and he said that the 05 was better than the 06.
The 05 is faster, he's a knowledgeable dealer. Some will tell you its the 06 that's the fast one.... hehe..

Seriously though. $10,000 US DOLLARS over sticker is atrocious. You can buy your mustang and another car at that rate. No wonder people don't belive me when I say I got a discount. We (Canuckians) get gouged just for having the St. Clair river bewteen us and Dee-troit. The lowest MSRP you can pay for a GT in Canada is $27,000 USD incl. freight

I got $2000 CDN off sticker for a mid-range GT (leath, 500). About a 6% discount. What in the HECK did I do to deserve that?

Feel sorry for the people getting ripped cause they can see you can't live without a stang.

-C
Old 8/31/05, 09:34 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by RMac@February 26, 2005, 1:37 PM
$6,000 markup? :notnice:

I'm sure the closest Infiniti dealer is thanking them for pushing their customers into G35 coupes.
I agree. If the price of the G35 Coupe and Mustang GT coupe were similar, I'd probably be driving a G35 instead of my 06 GT. But thanks to X-plan on an 06, I paid $2100 off of MSRP! Middleton Ford in Wisconsin.